is this much noise normal?
522 4 2021-1-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BORRERO.MD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 774534 ft
Colombia

Hi. I only recently got my mini 2. I've been noticing that most of my clips have very noticeable of random background noise. I'm keeping my ISO at 100-200 or at most 400 (risking excess noise past 200, but it's rare for me to go that far) and adjusting illumination with shutter speed instead. However, most videos end up being noisy. Although it might very well be due to low ambient light issues and having to prolong exposure to compensate. But i'd like to have someone more used to the mini 2 camera to check this out and see if it's normal or if i should have the camera checked. I'll attach a couple of short particularly illustrative videos.

Mostly, i've been noticing the excess noise when i'm moving, even at slow paces. However, in this particular clip, you can notice lots of noise even when hovering without moving.

Here's a video sample on google drive. If anyone can chek it, cool: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K5FiRsf3lG1rJ7O_QGpRnErv9AFTbbrG/view?usp=sharing

Some details:
DJI Mini 2No filters
Video recording at 4K
ISO was set to 100 and shutter speed at 1/240 to 1/640
SD card: Sandisk Extreme 256 gb
Firmware was up to date (drone, battery and controller)

UPDATE: I chatted with DJI support today. Couldn't get a definitive answer and they just told me to send it in to have it checked. Thats very troublesome, as I'd have to have it shipped internationally to the US. If anyone that feels comfortable with the image quality of the DJI Mini can contact me and send me a few video samples with similar settings as mine, It'd be great. I just want to be able to compare with some video that hasn't been heavily edited yet nor compressed by youtube.

2021-1-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I have the exact same output.
It is probably not sensor noise, but more some artifact from internal processing.
But I don't know for sure.
2021-1-14
Use props
BORRERO.MD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 774534 ft
Colombia

Montfrooij Posted at 1-14 06:26
I have the exact same output.
It is probably not sensor noise, but more some artifact from internal processing.
But I don't know for sure.

I just watched the videos I posted... THEY ONLY GO UP TO 1080P ON YOUTUBE FOR WHATEVER REASON   The noise issue isn't noticeable in the first video (at least to my eyes). In the second video, it's there but not as bad as it is on 4k
2021-1-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

BORRERO.MD Posted at 1-14 07:04
I just watched the videos I posted... THEY ONLY GO UP TO 1080P ON YOUTUBE FOR WHATEVER REASON   The noise issue isn't noticeable

I can watch it in 4K here.
2021-1-14
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

BORRERO.MD Posted at 1-14 07:04
I just watched the videos I posted... THEY ONLY GO UP TO 1080P ON YOUTUBE FOR WHATEVER REASON   The noise issue isn't noticeable in the first video (at least to my eyes). In the second video, it's there but not as bad as it is on 4k

When you upload to YouTube, they only show lower resolution versions of your clip initially. After a couple of hours you will find that the higher resolution version are added. It takes some time to process all the various versions.
2021-1-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules