785 15 2021-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kunzite
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2009432 ft
Poland

I bought Mini 2 in Poland (Europe).
In polish manual (page 23) is: Uwagi dotyczące pracy w niskiej temperaturze.
1. Pojemność akumulatora jest znacznie zredukowana podczas lotu w niskiej temperaturze (-10° C do 5° C). Zaleca się, aby zawisnąć dronem w miejscu na parę chwil, aby ogrzać akumulator. Upewnij się, że akumulator jest w pełni naładowany przed startem.

In english manuaal is: "Low Temperature Notice
1. Battery capacity is significantly reduced when flying in low-temperature environments of 0° to 5° C (32° to 41 ° F). It is recommended to hover the aircraft in place for a while to heat the battery. Make sure to
fully charge the battery before takeoff."

What's up?
Where is mistake? Such a mistake can lead to the destruction of the drone.
Or maybe drones for Poland are more resistant...
2021-1-15
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Flew mine yesterday after I massive wind storm so I could check my roof on my house. The temp was -5C and it flew like a champ.
2021-1-15
Use props
tibzee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 79616 ft
Switzerland

I think it's a mistake in Polish version. However, I already flew a couple of times in dry conditions on sunny day, no fog or clouds at -5C (because moisture and ice changes drones to bricks) for ~5-10 minutes every time and nothing bad happened. Batteries in general do not like temps below 0C, so I'm not trying to find the limits. Just go up, make a sphere or two plus some photos and back.

Cheers / Pozdro.
2021-1-15
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

2021-1-15
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

Visual Air Posted at 1-15 11:11
Flew mine yesterday after I massive wind storm so I could check my roof on my house. The temp was -5C and it flew like a champ.[view_image]

2021-1-15
Use props
lacibaci
Second Officer
Flight distance : 235682 ft
United States

Visual Air Posted at 1-15 11:11
Flew mine yesterday after I massive wind storm so I could check my roof on my house. The temp was -5C and it flew like a champ.[view_image]

Ha ha, I did the same after the last storm. Mini 2 is perfect for this.
2021-1-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Kunzite. Thanks for reaching out! Our sincere apologies for the confusion regarding the Low-Temperature Notice. The correct temperature should 0° to 5° C (32° to 41° F).
2021-1-16
Use props
djiuser_hJmrJuQGB6Sn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 110184 ft
United Kingdom

Don't do this, I'm new to drones and the Mini 2 is my 2nd drone, I went out to give bit a little test it was -1 here in the UK a few days ago.

Started the drone in the garden to test it out as it was my 1st test after a few mins I got motor warning error check propellors

Landed it and there was a very thin layer of ice under the props and since doing more research there's nothing wrong with the motors or the props it was the freezing cold weather, If you fly in anything under 0c you risk your drone motors freezing up mid air and it will down itself.

2021-1-16
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

djiuser_hJmrJuQGB6Sn Posted at 1-16 14:22
Don't do this, I'm new to drones and the Mini 2 is my 2nd drone, I went out to give bit a little test it was -1 here in the UK a few days ago.

Started the drone in the garden to test it out as it was my 1st test after a few mins I got motor warning error check propellors

Never had an issue of ice build up on any of my drones. I would imagine the UK to be a damp cold where as where I live would typically be a dry cold.
2021-1-16
Use props
djiuser_hJmrJuQGB6Sn
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Visual Air Posted at 1-16 14:38
Never had an issue of ice build up on any of my drones. I would imagine the UK to be a damp cold where as where I live would typically be a dry cold.

It did feel damp cold to be honest, There was fog above but I didn't even go any higher than 10-15ft and after about 4 mins that warning appeared.

I brought it back in to top the battery up waited a little later and the when the temp reached 0 and surprisingly absolutely fine for 15 mins and the props were dry when I landed and checked.

I wonder if this is something to do with fog and cold weather as well, It has not done that since I have only used it a little over 0c without any errors now.
Screenshot_20210117-053748.jpg
2021-1-16
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Damp cold just below freezing is asking for ice.  I am a pilot of real airplanes and can tell you that ice can build up surprisingly fast and create many problems.  Avoid it like the plague.
2021-1-16
Use props
djiuser_hJmrJuQGB6Sn
lvl.3
United Kingdom

K6CCC Posted at 1-16 23:13
Damp cold just below freezing is asking for ice.  I am a pilot of real airplanes and can tell you that ice can build up surprisingly fast and create many problems.  Avoid it like the plague.

Thanks for that so it is not so much the temperature being at -1 although ideally at 0 and above but more because of the fog? Thank you again.
2021-1-17
Use props
tibzee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 79616 ft
Switzerland

djiuser_hJmrJuQGB6Sn Posted at 1-17 00:35
Thanks for that so it is not so much the temperature being at -1 although ideally at 0 and above but more because of the fog? Thank you again.

I flew with RC models and now a drone in temp. below 0C (-10C max) but on a dry, sunny day (shorter flights than usual but I had no problems so far).
Any sign of a fog, a cloud or a damp and you should forget about the flight. Icing could be one problem, but there is "a feature" a.k.a a bug in (AFAIK) all Mavic DJI drones that might trigger an "auto-landing mode" in a fog (but also when flying too low above the water), when you try to descent. Avoid it.

Read this:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... =233198&pid=2392911

2021-1-17
Use props
djiuser_hJmrJuQGB6Sn
lvl.3
United Kingdom

tibzee Posted at 1-17 02:39
I flew with RC models and now a drone in temp. below 0C (-10C max) but on a dry, sunny day (shorter flights than usual but I had no problems so far).
Any sign of a fog, a cloud or a damp and you should forget about the flight. Icing could be one problem, but there is "a feature" a.k.a a bug in (AFAIK) all Mavic DJI drones that might trigger an "auto-landing mode" in a fog (but also when flying too low above the water), when you try to descent. Avoid it.

Cheers thanks for that, I didn't know anything about the cold and fog issue, As I said it was only -1 but there was low fog, Must be the damp cold in the UK as the weather changes day to day.

It's on my avoid list in future, Just glad I wasn't 400ft in the air when I got the error.
2021-1-17
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Here is the explanation I got when I went through ground school when I was getting my pilots license.  When there is moisture in the air that cools to slightly below freezing, if the air is very stable, the moisture does not freeze right away (I'm not going to get into the half hour discussion about why not).  However, if that air is disturbed, the moisture will freeze almost instantly.  Flying your airplane through that air the does a great job of disturbing that air which results in the moisture freezing almost instantly - and some of that will stick to parts of the airplane.  In the case of a fixed wing airplane, the leading edges of the wings is one of the most troublesome.  There are two major issues with building up ice.  One is weight, and the other is that great job of engineering that the aircraft manufacturer went to in order to make the shape of the wing work well just went to hell when a rough, uneven layer of ice forms on the wing.  So what you end up with is an airplane that weighs more (can be quite  a bit more), with wings that are not producing as much lift as they should - not a good combination!  That combination has caused many an airplane to crash.  i personally have experienced significant ice buildup only once in a Cessna 172 and it was scary.  Fortunately I flew out of the clouds shortly thereafter  so the ice accumulation stopped.  However I was still carrying the ice for the next couple hundred miles, and the ice reduced my cruising speed by almost 30 knots.
Propellers also do a great job of disturbing the air.  However due to centrifugal force, most ice that forms very far out from the center of the prop will be shed.  Many prop driven airplanes have electric heaters on the leading edges of the props.  They generally only cover about the inner third of the prop.  This photo shamelessly used from a prop manufacturer website shows the heaters (the black band on the leading edges of the prop blades).

2021-1-17
Use props
fans42c8019f
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5883 ft
Canada

DJI Gamora Posted at 1-16 00:31
Hi, Kunzite. Thanks for reaching out! Our sincere apologies for the confusion regarding the Low-Temperature Notice. The correct temperature should 0° to 5° C (32° to 41° F).

That’s a pretty significant discrepancy.  Hopefully your docs team has been notified to check for/correct all instances of this incorrect info.
2021-1-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules