Altitude
1601 8 2015-7-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Colorado68
lvl.1
Flight distance : 312858 ft
United States

In the USA we have a 400' max flight altitude.
The P3 height max can be changed but if you set it higher than 400' a legal disclaimer pops up.
Since all fights are recorded in the dat log, that would show a red flag if you took the P3 above the lawfull limit. So I stay safe and set the height limit to 120 M
I live in Colorado and fly in the mountains and canyons but wondered what happens if you initialize and take off from a 600' cliff and fly over the edge?
Does GPS now see the P3 as exceeding limit and drop it back down to 400'? (that wouldn't be cool and would probably lose the phantom)
If I turned off the max height option will it log as excedding the max height?

2015-7-5
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

>> Does GPS now see the P3 as exceeding limit and drop it back down to 400'?

No. Your Phantom does not use GPS to find the ground. It assumes the ground is at the position you took off. If you take off from a cliff and descend, your altitude will then be negative.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)

2015-7-5
Use props
Paniza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

Confirming what Phantom Help said.
2015-7-5
Use props
Colorado68
lvl.1
United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-7-6 01:16
>> Does GPS now see the P3 as exceeding limit and drop it back down to 400'?

No. Your Phantom does  ...

Perfect, thank you for the reply.
This leads me to the second part of my question.
If I fly up the side of a mountain following the contour at 50' but the hill is 600' at the top, will the P3 stop at 400' even though it's only 50' off the ground? (provided I have height limit set)
I appreciate the insight on the P3 abilities. I'm also being cautious so I don't break any rules or red flags recorded to the data log.
2015-7-5
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

Another question the answer too was in at least 3 other threads within the past month..  Now we all know if Colorado looses his p3 it's due to not reading...  Unreal, let's just start a thread and not read any previous threads, I'm sure the guy has no idea their is a manual either...
2015-7-5
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

>> If I fly up the side of a mountain following the contour at 50' but the hill is 600' at the top, will the P3 stop at 400' even though it's only 50' off the ground?

Your Phantom will think the altitude is 0 feet no matter where you take off from. If you ascend 50 feet, then your Phantom should show an altitude of 50 feet at that point.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)

2015-7-5
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

Remember that it's 400 feet AGL  at the take off point. If you are in a valley and want to go up the valley wall you can as long as you maintain 400 feet AGL and still be withing FAA guide lines. So switching to a allow a higher altitude would be fine. Now if you are in a flat area that's a whole other issue...

Also would be the same thing if you flew off a mountain top... go over the edge and you could possible violate the guidelines if you went over 400 feet AGL.
2015-7-5
Use props
Colorado68
lvl.1
United States

Mark97564 Posted at 2015-7-6 02:01
Another question the answer too was in at least 3 other threads within the past month..  Now we all  ...

Why do you bother replying?
Your response wasn't informative in the least.
Just another guy who feels better about bashing people to make himself feel like a know-it-all

To the others, I thank you for the replies
2015-7-5
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

I reply trying to point out the obvious, I don't enjoy bashing anyone.. And I sure don't think I know it all, but I do just wish they (you) would put a little time into reading instead of running to the forum to post every question they (you) have.  Not to mention how much you can learn by reading threads trying to find a solution to your issue of question, vs clogging the forum up with repeat and duplicate threads making it harder for people to go thru and learn..  I bet if someone weeded out this forum that over half the threads could be removed.. I'm not attacking just you, I'm attacking anyone that come to a forum and not use it for what it's for..   

And honestly, I don't even know why I still bother, it's not going to change anything. You will still post what ever question you have instead of reading past threads and finding your answer right away, and I was informative, Pitty you don't think so...  I do wish everyone the best...
2015-7-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules