DJI Mini 2 lost due to wind, Drone got blown away !
2343 7 2021-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tilmann.hogrefe
lvl.1
Flight distance : 211188 ft
Germany

Hello everybody!
I was flying my DJI Mini 2 yesterday. I flew it up in the air above my starting point and I just wanted to take some pictures from up there. But suddenly after 02m 39.9s  of flight time I noticed strong wind warnigs. I noticed then too that I was 728.4 meters away from my home point! Until this point of the flight I was only flying up and never controlled the sticks to go backwards or forewards much! I was so shocked!
I immediatly put the drone in Sport Mode and tried to bring it down. But then the drone just got blown away! SO SAD!
I couldn't do anything. Of course I was controlling the drone down and straight back to me in sport mode but instead of flying towards me the drone got blown away.
The drone just went further and further away. After 4 minutes of flight i completly lost the signal for 30 seconds and started RTH. Got the signal then back for some 10 seconds and then I lost the signal completly!
I looked 5 hours at the location where the ,,find my drone'' function says the drone is but it isn't there.

I am disappointed with the DJI Mini 2 since DJI even says that it can handle wind good. I never flew the drone in the direction it went and I am very sure that the drone is now in the lake nearby.
Did anybody have the same issues ? What can I do now ?

2021-1-22
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Ofcourse a Mini2 can handle wind oke, but not at 500 meters altitude with this wind force.
Without RC input your Mini2 pitched down 38 degrees! to hold position,  but still drifting backwards with 7 m/s speed.

RTH ofcourse did not made it, too much wind!!

See your data in my charts.

Mayby if you had flown at low altitude the whole flight (official limit 120 AFAIK), your Mini2 could have fight the wind.

PS  your started this flight in OPTI mode, only after 12 seconds in flight enough GPS reception to set your HP.
cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
analysis2.png
2021-1-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I couldn't do anything.
You had no idea what you were doing.
You sent the drone up 500 metres, where the wind was much stronger than what you felt on the ground and much stronger than the drone could fight against.
If you'd kept an eye on your app, it would have shown you how high the drone was and how fast it was being blown away.

I looked 5 hours at the location where the ,,find my drone'' function says the drone is but it isn't there.
Of course it wasn't there because when the signal was lost, the drone was still 240 metres up and still being blown further away.

I am disappointed with the DJI Mini 2  since DJI even says that it can handle wind good.
Guess what happens when the wind speed is more than the drone's max speed.

What can I do now ?
Maybe learn from the experience?

2021-1-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can check UAV Forecast app for wind conditions at different altitudes,  but I would unshare this flight log so that you dont get a knock on the door, 120m or 400ft is max height above ground.
2021-1-22
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 835725 ft
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 1-22 05:01
Hi,

Ofcourse a Mini2 can handle wind oke, but not at 500 meters altitude with this wind force.

Hi JJB, how about posting the log so we all can have a look?
2021-1-22
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Pleomax Posted at 1-22 08:11
Hi JJB, how about posting the log so we all can have a look?

Hi,

Nope, as the OP has removed the link to his file i do not find it appropriate to share his log.
I understand why it has been removed.

cheers
JJB
2021-1-22
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

I'm sorry for the loss of your bird, with all sincerity, had you kept it low and close during the first excursions with said drone, you would have gain much valued experience,
and you mavbe would have found the AC's "limitations" a bit earlier.
Again sorry for the loss, but you are not alone. Alot of folks have done the same you did. Just power up and away we go......
Recipe for disaster...
2021-1-22
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, tilmann.hogrefe. Thanks for reaching out! We're sorry for your loss. If there's no way to retrieve the unit and within the warranty period, we recommend getting in touch with our Customer Support to assist you to open a ticket and apply for data analysis.
2021-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules