Systemic Failure with I2 and DNG/Prores codec
874 7 2021-1-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_JC9lesjy7CVj
lvl.2

South Africa

To All Inspire 2 owners who have the Prores / DNG codec installed.
Every I2 with this codec installed that DJI sells or has ever sold will fail when you take hundreds of photos (say for photogrammetry).
I have been trying to get DJI to fix this since I have owned my inspire 2 from June 2020.
The issue is not just the green images that occur, but more important, the camera dramatically slows its rate of taking pictures, from 1 pic every 2 seconds to 1 pic every 10-12 seconds. This makes the drone unusable for photogrammetry. The images will also be green as shown in other threads on this forum.
DJI is ignoring this issue.
We need every I2 owner to make a test and show the failure to DJI, maybe then they will fix the issue.
An I2 without the DNG/Prores codec will not fail, only with I2 with codecs installed will fail.
In order to make this issue appear, set GO4 or GSPro or DroneDeploy or equivalent software to shoot a thousand plus photos, say for photogrammetry. The camera will fail using any of the above software. When flying, the first battery set works fine and shoots about 300+ pictures. When I land and swap batteries and continue flight, the failure will occur somewhere after this time.  
You will be able to identify the failure by paying attention to the rate at which the camera takes pictures. When all is good, you will get a picture every 2 seconds, and if you have the audio shutter enabled, you will hear the pic being taken. When the the failure occurs, this will slow to 10+ seconds per frame, you will hear the rate of pics has slowed. Also if you look at the ring around the white photo button on the screen, this ring will rotate for for 10+ seconds rather than about 1 second when normal.
Please reach out to me and I will give you more details.
We need every I2 owner to complain to DJI.
I have been trying to get DJI to address this since August of 2020.

A simple fix for DJI would be for them to update the Assistant 2 software to allow for activation and deactivation of the Codecs. DJI has done this remotely for me during my testing, and when the codec was deactivated, the problem was instantly fixed. I could shoot thousands of pictures without fail. I then returned my drone to them, they sent me a brand new drone with the codec installed and it failed straight away.
I travel with my work, and I have tested I2's from both New Zealand and from South Africa as well as mine from California.  Every I2 I have tested with DNG/Prores installed has failed.  I have test about 7-8 different I2's in different countries and every single one has failed as noted above.

DJI has replaced my drone now 3 times, I send the drone back to them, they say they cannot duplicate it, they send me a brand new drone, it fails when I test it and they ask me to send it back again.
DJI is not putting the effort into this issue and needs to fix if for all of us I2 owners.

Please put pressure on DJI.

Thanks, Ray

2021-1-27
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

This is the issue I never heard about before, perhaps because Inspire 2 is rarely used for this kind of work. Are you using SSD card to store the images or they're recorded on standard SD card? Are you shooting RAW (DNG) images or JPEG, or both?
2021-1-27
Use props
djiuser_JC9lesjy7CVj
lvl.2

South Africa

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 1-27 13:00
This is the issue I never heard about before, perhaps because Inspire 2 is rarely used for this kind of work. Are you using SSD card to store the images or they're recorded on standard SD card? Are you shooting RAW (DNG) images or JPEG, or both?

This issue has been reported as Green frames or images for a couple years now.  Those reports however never reported the rest of the problems, which are bigger, that the camera slows down dramatically when taking photos and makes them green.  
DJI is and has been aware of this problem for some time as they sent to me a DJIFixIT.app that fixes the green imagery, so DJI is well aware.  The I2 works great if the codecs are not installed, but fails at photo taking when the codecs are installed.  I have tested many I2's in different countries, every one of them has failed.
I have also experienced glitching in Prores video which i also feel is related, however this is far less frequent.
You have to use the SD card, there is no choice, that is where image files are written.  SSD is only for RAW burst mode.
Yes this occurs with JPG and RAW.
2021-1-28
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

djiuser_JC9lesjy7CVj Posted at 1-28 01:46
This issue has been reported as Green frames or images for a couple years now.  Those reports however never reported the rest of the problems, which are bigger, that the camera slows down dramatically when taking photos and makes them green.  
DJI is and has been aware of this problem for some time as they sent to me a DJIFixIT.app that fixes the green imagery, so DJI is well aware.  The I2 works great if the codecs are not installed, but fails at photo taking when the codecs are installed.  I have tested many I2's in different countries, every one of them has failed.
I have also experienced glitching in Prores video which i also feel is related, however this is far less frequent.

Oh, I see ... Thank you for elaborate explanation. The glitch is there, no doubt, although related to X7 camera only, if I understand correctly. The symptoms may suggest heat dissipation issue during processing such huge amounts of still images taken at short intervals. This assumption, however, is in conflict with the fact that de-licensed systems works just fine. Definitely DJI should take a closer look at it ...
2021-1-28
Use props
djiuser_JC9lesjy7CVj
lvl.2

South Africa

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 1-28 13:46
Oh, I see ... Thank you for elaborate explanation. The glitch is there, no doubt, although related to X7 camera only, if I understand correctly. The symptoms may suggest heat dissipation issue during processing such huge amounts of still images taken at short intervals. This assumption, however, is in conflict with the fact that de-licensed systems works just fine. Definitely DJI should take a closer look at it ...

Yes, I am hoping that many people see this, experience the issue with their own I2 / X7 and then complain to DJI.  
Just me complaining, DJI is ignoring the issue.
2021-1-30
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

djiuser_JC9lesjy7CVj Posted at 1-30 04:56
Yes, I am hoping that many people see this, experience the issue with their own I2 / X7 and then complain to DJI.  
Just me complaining, DJI is ignoring the issue.

I fully understand the reasoning behind your plea. Unfortunately the issue of addressing it by DJI may be far more complex than we know. The Inspire platform was abandoned long time ago, R&D team was most likely relocated to Enterprise section and Inspire left to die slowly. In other words, I can't see it happen, no matter how many will report this strange behaviour of X7 ...
2021-1-30
Use props
djiuser_JC9lesjy7CVj
lvl.2

South Africa

I understand that.  However I paid full price to DJI for drone that is supposed to shoot high end video and photos.  However I cannot do that.  DJI does not say that once you pay more money to install DNG/ProRes you can no longer shoot pictures with the same drone.  So DJI needs to make what I have paid for work correctly and as advertised by DJI.
2021-1-30
Use props
djiuser_JC9lesjy7CVj
lvl.2

South Africa

djiuser_JC9lesjy7CVj Posted at 1-30 13:23
I understand that.  However I paid full price to DJI for drone that is supposed to shoot high end video and photos.  However I cannot do that.  DJI does not say that once you pay more money to install DNG/ProRes you can no longer shoot pictures with the same drone.  So DJI needs to make what I have paid for work correctly and as advertised by DJI.

An update. DJI has just sent me another brand new replacement drone with DNG / Prores activations installed. I tested the drone by simply having it take jpg photos while sitting on a table, no flying at all. I set GO4 to shoot a jpg picture every 2 seconds. After about 8 minutes, the image capture rate slowed dramatically, to more than 10+ seconds per frame instead of the prescribed 2 seconds per frame. Images written to the SD card at this point are green. I am sending this brand new drone back again. Maybe this time DJI will actually be able to duplicate the problem and fix it.
Or they will just send me another new replacement a week or so later, and we will repeat this whole scenario again.....
2021-2-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules