Mavic Air 2 crash and rescue operation
12Next >
3469 47 2021-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Schwendi
lvl.4
Switzerland

check out the Mavic Air 2 footage at the intro and the crash and resuce action at 14:30. The find-my-drone app was really really helpful and the mechanical design of the Mavic Air 2 is brilliant, so she survived everything perfectly. Excellent job of the DJI engineers!

2021-1-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing.
2021-1-28
Use props
Schwendi
lvl.4
Switzerland

DAFlys Posted at 1-28 04:24
Thanks for sharing.

You bet
2021-1-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Those sausages looked great BTW.   
2021-1-28
Use props
Schwendi
lvl.4
Switzerland

DAFlys Posted at 1-28 04:31
Those sausages looked great BTW.

Yeah, they were great, special kind of Swiss sausages (Servelat and Olma-Bratwurst).

But I was a bit stressed and could not enjoy the sausages, because I could see the blinking lights of the crashed drone on the other side of the creek. Until the batteries were empty, the lights constantly reminded me with every blink, what an i..ot I was
2021-1-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Schwendi Posted at 1-28 04:51
Yeah, they were great, special kind of Swiss sausages (Servelat and Olma-Bratwurst).

But I was a bit stressed and could not enjoy the sausages, because I could see the blinking lights of the crashed drone on the other side of the creek. Until the batteries were empty, the lights constantly reminded me with every blink, what an i..ot I was

I can imagine the feeling.  
2021-1-28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Interesting video.  Glad you were able to get your MA2 back.  I got hungry looking at that sausage cooking over the campfire.  LOL.
2021-1-28
Use props
Schwendi
lvl.4
Switzerland

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-28 07:15
Interesting video.  Glad you were able to get your MA2 back.  I got hungry looking at that sausage cooking over the campfire.  LOL.

Thank you, I appreciate. Don't talk about the sausages, I'm getting hungry as well
2021-1-28
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great video, love the drone footage, camping and the gold prospecting! And good to hear you've recovered your MA2 back!!

Another youtuber lost his drone in the water so not sure the find-my-drone would work in that scenario?!  He was flying too close to the water...sensor probably couldn't detect the surface but also maybe he reacted in the wrong direction of going down instead of up.

Anyway here is the clip of the guy's drone going for a swim.

2021-1-28
Use props
maihem.rc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2076335 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cool video.  Always a happy day when you crash a drone but get it back and it isn't broken.  Did the moisture cause any issues or did everything dry out ok and work fine?
2021-1-28
Use props
maihem.rc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2076335 ft
  • >>>
United States

RobZilla Posted at 1-28 07:38
Great video, love the drone footage, camping and the gold prospecting! And good to hear you've recovered your MA2 back!!

Another youtuber lost his drone in the water so not sure the find-my-drone would work in that scenario?!  He was flying too close to the water...sensor probably couldn't detect the surface but also maybe he reacted in the wrong direction of going down instead of up.

That shadow of the fish at the end made me laugh.
2021-1-28
Use props
Schwendi
lvl.4
Switzerland

RobZilla Posted at 1-28 07:38

Oh my god!!!! Thank you for sharing this amazing vid. It's awesome, at the end there is even a fish swimming, haha. Very sorry for this guy... Yeah, I wonder, how he found the drone again. I wrote a comment at his video, asking that.
2021-1-28
Use props
Schwendi
lvl.4
Switzerland

maihem.rc Posted at 1-28 08:05
Cool video.  Always a happy day when you crash a drone but get it back and it isn't broken.  Did the moisture cause any issues or did everything dry out ok and work fine?

Thank you, I'm glad that you liked it. No, I dried it at home and everything seems to be OK. So far I didn't notice any problems...
2021-1-28
Use props
Schwendi
lvl.4
Switzerland

maihem.rc Posted at 1-28 08:11
That shadow of the fish at the end made me laugh.

Yeah, me too, haha. At 1:20 there is really a fish! I'm very sorry for the guy, but the footage is awesome!
2021-1-28
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Schwendi Posted at 1-28 08:17
Oh my god!!!! Thank you for sharing this amazing vid. It's awesome, at the end there is even a fish swimming, haha. Very sorry for this guy... Yeah, I wonder, how he found the drone again. I wrote a comment at his video, asking that.

Yea this was taken here outside of Seattle WA at a popular hiking area called Rattlesnake lake. He hired a diver to recover his drone. Unfortunately it's not working properly after drying, seems the battery is kaput. He linked the YT vid to his drone recovery.

2021-1-28
Use props
Schwendi
lvl.4
Switzerland

RobZilla Posted at 1-28 08:35
Yea this was taken here outside of Seattle WA at a popular hiking area called Rattlesnake lake. He hired a diver to recover his drone. Unfortunately it's not working properly after drying, seems the battery is kaput. He linked the YT vid to his drone recovery.

Thanks! Yes I've seen it meanwhile.

Sound strange, but for me the most important thing is always to recover the footage (I also crashed my DJI Spark in a wilde valley few years ago and found it again after 3h of searching with my buddy)... A new drone you can buy, but the footage not... I know, I'm a crazy nerd haha
2021-1-28
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Schwendi Posted at 1-28 09:01
Thanks! Yes I've seen it meanwhile.

Sound strange, but for me the most important thing is always to recover the footage (I also crashed my DJI Spark in a wilde valley few years ago and found it again after 3h of searching with my buddy)... A new drone you can buy, but the footage not... I know, I'm a crazy nerd haha

Yea I am the same,  would miss the footage (and drone). Had an accident as well with my Phantom 3 advanced in high winds many years ago. Had some spectacular video and wanted that more than drone itself at the time.
2021-1-28
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

2021-1-28
Use props
teeroy
lvl.2

Canada

Great video!
2021-1-28
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good work!

Something to keep in mind for the next time: The most inexpensive add-on strobe lights can last up to 72 hours because they do not use much battery power. That can be very useful since the drone battery and lights only last about 3 hours. I now always use one even for daytime flights. Do not believe that these last only 2 hours as in the ad, I have tested them...3 days.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2021-1-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Schwendi. Thank you for reaching out and for posting this interesting video and for sharing this flight experience with us. Just a reminder that if you feel that your DJI Mavic Air 2 is not working properly in the future. It would be best to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support for additional assistance. Thank you and fly safe always.
2021-1-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Interesting video and glad you got it back.
2021-1-28
Use props
Schwendi
lvl.4
Switzerland

RobZilla Posted at 1-28 11:31
Yea I am the same,  would miss the footage (and drone). Had an accident as well with my Phantom 3 advanced in high winds many years ago. Had some spectacular video and wanted that more than drone itself at the time.

Hah! It's good to know that I'm not the only crazy guy...   Makes me feel a bit more normal.
2021-1-29
Use props
Schwendi
lvl.4
Switzerland

thank you!
2021-1-29
Use props
Schwendi
lvl.4
Switzerland

thank you!
2021-1-29
Use props
Schwendi
lvl.4
Switzerland

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-28 19:47
Hello there Schwendi. Thank you for reaching out and for posting this interesting video and for sharing this flight experience with us. Just a reminder that if you feel that your DJI Mavic Air 2 is not working properly in the future. It would be best to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support for additional assistance. Thank you and fly safe always.

Hello DJI Stephen, thank you for your comment.

Just to avoid misunderstandings: The crash was 100% my fault.

It's absolutely clear for me, that in this dark conditions, the drones backwards obstacle sensors had no chance. In fact even in this dark conditions, the drone displayed a warning  just before the crash "fly careful". It sensed maybe some shadow changes or something, or maybe the downwards IR sensor sensed some ground approaching. But my reaction was to slow, I was flying full speed backward, so it was really clearly my fault. I thought I was way higher and there is nothing behind the drone.

I'm absolutely happy with my Mavic Air 2, she is really a brilliant drone for this money. And also very robust, so everything seems to be OK after the crash.

Thank you DJI for making this awesome drones!
2021-1-29
Use props
Schwendi
lvl.4
Switzerland

GaryDoug Posted at 1-28 19:15
Good work!

Something to keep in mind for the next time: The most inexpensive add-on strobe lights can last up to 72 hours because they do not use much battery power. That can be very useful since the drone battery and lights only last about 3 hours. I now always use one even for daytime flights. Do not believe that these last only 2 hours as in the ad, I have tested them...3 days.

Thank you very much.

That's interesting and can be really helpful. This time, the find-my-drone app led me perfectly to the crash site, so its was absolutely no problem to find it. But years ago I crashed my Spark in a pretty wilde valley with narrow rock cliffs, so the GPS was very unaccurate due to reflections at the rockwalls. We had 3 hours to find the drone in an area of maybe 100m^2, because the terrain was so wilde an with a lot of rocks and trees. A flash light definitively would have helped a lot. So thanks for this tip!

Cheers!
2021-1-29
Use props
Schwendi
lvl.4
Switzerland

Montfrooij Posted at 1-28 23:35
Interesting video and glad you got it back.

Thank you Peter!

No trains this time, but there is in fact a pretty famous railroad through the Rhine gorge. Check out this video from 2019 at 7:20, I filmed the famous RHB train in the rain gorge with my DJI Spark. If you are ever in the area, drive with this train, it's an awesome landscape!

2021-1-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Schwendi Posted at 1-29 01:11
Thank you Peter!

No trains this time, but there is in fact a pretty famous railroad through the Rhine gorge. Check out this video from 2019 at 7:20, I filmed the famous RHB train in the rain gorge with my DJI Spark. If you are ever in the area, drive with this train, it's an awesome landscape!

Wow, thanks for that!
2021-1-29
Use props
Schwendi
lvl.4
Switzerland

Montfrooij Posted at 1-29 01:18
Wow, thanks for that!

You're very welcome. I thought, you may like that. I shot the train just by chance, it was not planned. But I really like the footage...
2021-1-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Schwendi Posted at 1-29 01:44
You're very welcome. I thought, you may like that. I shot the train just by chance, it was not planned. But I really like the footage...

So do I
2021-1-29
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Schwendi Posted at 1-28 07:23
Thank you, I appreciate. Don't talk about the sausages, I'm getting hungry as well

You're very welcome.    Stay safe and have a great weekend.
2021-1-29
Use props
Schwendi
lvl.4
Switzerland

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-29 04:07
You're very welcome.    Stay safe and have a great weekend.

You too! Grill some sausages
2021-1-29
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Schwendi Posted at 1-29 04:10
You too! Grill some sausages

I plan on doing just that this weekend.  
2021-1-29
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

I love the Alps.  Incredibly beautiful.
2021-1-29
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 835725 ft
United Kingdom

Schwendi Posted at 1-29 01:11
Thank you Peter!

Beautiful scenery
2021-1-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Schwendi Posted at 1-29 01:01
Hello DJI Stephen, thank you for your comment.

Just to avoid misunderstandings: The crash was 100% my fault.

Hi there Schwendi. Thank you for the reply and for these additional information you have given. If you have any other concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and support you. Thank you.
2021-1-31
Use props
Schwendi
lvl.4
Switzerland

JohnLietzke Posted at 1-29 11:22
I love the Alps.  Incredibly beautiful.

Yes, they are. I'm blessed to live here. Thank you for your comment!
2021-1-31
Use props
Schwendi
lvl.4
Switzerland

Thank you!
2021-1-31
Use props
Schwendi
lvl.4
Switzerland

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-31 22:35
Hi there Schwendi. Thank you for the reply and for these additional information you have given. If you have any other concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and support you. Thank you.

Thank you!
2021-1-31
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules