Would it not be better to use the Mini 1 batteries in the Mini 2?
1568 19 2021-2-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_mRziYpfX4Tqu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 404587 ft
Hong Kong

I was just watching a video about range and the pilot used the Mini 1 battery in the Mini 2, with the Mini 2 being LiPo and needing lots of battery care, wouldn't it be better to just use the Mini 1 battery instead assuming there is no law on the <250g drones? Would I lose any functionalities doing this?
2021-2-19
Use props
RedSky119
lvl.4
Canada

I did not buy the Mini 2 Combo, so I plan on using my 4 Mini batteries with the Mini 2. Not sure about differences in flight times and performance (only a few flights), but in my opinion the Mini 2 flies great with Mini batteries.
2021-2-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sounds like a bad idea to me if they are not advertised for this purpose.
2021-2-20
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, djiuser_mRziYpfX4Tqu. Thanks for reaching out! The international version of DJI Mini 2 can use Mavic Mini's battery, however, the power will decrease and the total weight will exceed 250 g requiring registration in some countries and regions. Please check local rules and regulations before use.
2021-2-20
Use props
djiuser_mRziYpfX4Tqu
lvl.2
Hong Kong

If it's only for those 2 disadvantages, I would rather use the Mini 1 batteries as i wouldn't need to deal with the hassle of storing the batteries properly at a specific percentage when I'm not having it for a while etc. I am not affected by the 250 gram restrictions so that doesn't affect me, and for the power decrease, is it a considerable amount? As I saw a video with someone flying his Mini 2 around 3 miles on the Mini 1 battery inside his Mini 2 and I don't think I'd ever need that much range.
2021-2-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_mRziYpfX4Tqu Posted at 2-20 02:22
If it's only for those 2 disadvantages, I would rather use the Mini 1 batteries as i wouldn't need to deal with the hassle of storing the batteries properly at a specific percentage when I'm not having it for a while etc. I am not affected by the 250 gram restrictions so that doesn't affect me, and for the power decrease, is it a considerable amount? As I saw a video with someone flying his Mini 2 around 3 miles on the Mini 1 battery inside his Mini 2 and I don't think I'd ever need that much range.

One issue I see is that is you have a problem and want to claim on the warranty the flight log will show that you had the wrong battery installed,  the serial number of the battery is logged for each flight.
2021-2-20
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_mRziYpfX4Tqu Posted at 2-20 02:22
If it's only for those 2 disadvantages, I would rather use the Mini 1 batteries as i wouldn't need to deal with the hassle of storing the batteries properly at a specific percentage when I'm not having it for a while etc. I am not affected by the 250 gram restrictions so that doesn't affect me, and for the power decrease, is it a considerable amount? As I saw a video with someone flying his Mini 2 around 3 miles on the Mini 1 battery inside his Mini 2 and I don't think I'd ever need that much range.

There is one you are forgetting. The Mini 1 batteries are a lower voltage than the Mini 2.

That means that the max rotation of the props is reduced.

There was a reason that DJI went to LiPos. Remember the not enough power motor errors in high wind on the Mini 1? Including the fall from the Skies. Not enough voltage / power means the Mini 2 will behave like the mini 1 in wind only worse as not only are the batteries lower voltage they are heavier.

It's like pulling of the disc brakes on your car and fitting drum brakes.

Don't do it.  
2021-2-20
Use props
The Rev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
United Kingdom

If I had Mini Batteries I would use them when I needed extra Batteries but wouldn't go out and buy them and you never know when you are going to need that extra bit power.
2021-2-20
Use props
djiuser_mRziYpfX4Tqu
lvl.2
Hong Kong

bjr981s Posted at 2-20 03:15
There is one you are forgetting. The Mini 1 batteries are a lower voltage than the Mini 2.

Thank you for pointing this out, I didn't realize it was lower in voltage.

I will continue with the Mini 2 batteries, it just seems strange that with all the technology in today's age, we still have to go through a huge process to care for these LiPo batteries when storing them.
2021-2-20
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 2-20 02:28
One issue I see is that is you have a problem and want to claim on the warranty the flight log will show that you had the wrong battery installed,  the serial number of the battery is logged for each flight.

if dji didn't want the battery to power the drone, they would have posted such a message on their website or print it in the mini 2 instructions.  or they would prevent the m2 from flying in software with a message that said "no battery."  at a minimum, they could have simply made it so it wouldn't fit but they didn't do any of that and even my 5th grade cousin could argue that point in warranty arbitration or court.  simply writing "we will void your warrant for any little thing we find..." is not enough.  remember, i'm talking about the warranty, not care refresh.

/s
maybe in your country, the king decides and make all the rules but in america, we have laws and they favor the consumer.  not much difference then bringing your car into the dealership for repair on a hood that won't unlatch and the dealer pops it open and sees you have a sears diehard battery instead of the oem battery and says your car doesn't get the right amount of [insert b.s. here] so we can't fit your hood latch under warranty.  in america, we got rid of our king and now we're all about fairness and the rule of law and the constitution.  what sense does it make that the same battery oem from the same battery manufacturer and the same model of drone voids the warranty of the next model AFTER it actually works?  that's ridiculous, american consumers are not expected to be mars rocket scientists.  if my drone camera would never stay in focus and dji told me they won't fix my camera because of my black battery...i would be livid.
/s

2021-2-20
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

bjr981s Posted at 2-20 03:15
There is one you are forgetting. The Mini 1 batteries are a lower voltage than the Mini 2.

so what happens when a mini 2 battery has a lower voltage?
apple and oranges on your comparison mate.
2021-2-20
Use props
Donut Michigan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42415 ft
United States

I think there is a reason the mini 1 batteries fit in the mini 2 but you can’t use the mini 2 batteries in the mini 1. If they didn’t want the mini 1 to be used in the mini 2 they could have easily made it so they couldn’t fits or even had the program not except the older batteries.
It’s nice that they did that so if we needed one in a  emergency.  
Doug
2021-2-20
Use props
Corbie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 74505 ft
United Kingdom

djiuser_mRziYpfX4Tqu Posted at 2-20 06:52

I will continue with the Mini 2 batteries, it just seems strange that with all the technology in today's age, we still have to go through a huge process to care for these LiPo batteries when storing them.

Am I missing something, what is the big process? I thought these batteries were smart and looked after them selves. Only downside I see is you have to recharge back up to 100% if they have been stored for a while.
2021-2-20
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

The DJI FAQ section for the Mini 2 says you can use the Mini batteries but will have reduced power. There is nothing that says it is not permitted.
2021-2-20
Use props
RenegadeCowboyAZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3600774 ft
United States

You can use them just fine..They do weigh more than the mini 2 ones though
2021-2-20
Use props
djiuser_mRziYpfX4Tqu
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Corbie Posted at 2-20 11:52
Am I missing something, what is the big process? I thought these batteries were smart and looked after them selves. Only downside I see is you have to recharge back up to 100% if they have been stored for a while.

I read that if they're not used for a long time, they have to be reduced to 50% and then put into some hibernation mode and then you have to make sure they don't drop below a certain percentage etc? It's almost like looking after a pet.
2021-2-20
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

The Saint Posted at 2-20 11:11
so what happens when a mini 2 battery has a lower voltage?
apple and oranges on your comparison mate.

These are the reasons.

The DJI Minis have an indicator that advises % battery used. That is calibrated to the Battery Chemistry.
This will be incorrect for using Mini 1 Batteries in a Mini 2.

The Mini 1 battery has less performance than the Mini 2 battery but additional weight. So will use the battery faster. This will also put it into the "insufficient power state for motors" error, faster and as it weighs more will go into the "Fall from Sky" that is widely reported on the Mini 1.

Anyhow, you basically have no idea what you are saying. It does help to be an electronics engineer like me. Apples to Oranges indeed.

Yes it doesn't matter the size of a flat battery if its 100mah or 1,000mah. They are both flat and provide 0 current.

You have been given the facts above. Choose to believe or not. Its your dime in your investment.

You have a Mini 1 and a Mini 2 as do I. Your choice how you operate them. Don't try and file a warranty claim with DJI if something goes wrong. You have been advised of the facts.

2021-2-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 2-20 11:10
if dji didn't want the battery to power the drone, they would have posted such a message on their website or print it in the mini 2 instructions.  or they would prevent the m2 from flying in software with a message that said "no battery."  at a minimum, they could have simply made it so it wouldn't fit but they didn't do any of that and even my 5th grade cousin could argue that point in warranty arbitration or court.  simply writing "we will void your warrant for any little thing we find..." is not enough.  remember, i'm talking about the warranty, not care refresh.

/s

Im pretty sure if you used a fuel in your car that was not appropriate (most modern cars have that in the handbook and behind the fuel flap) the dealer would refuse a warranty claim on your engine,  and in this case you'd end up with a fight to get them to cough on the warranty.
2021-2-21
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_mRziYpfX4Tqu Posted at 2-20 06:52

Lithium Polymer Batteries have the highest power capacity per gram than any other battery chemistry.

LiPos have a chemistry that is basically unstable. That is the down side. But they have really spawned this electric power hobby with their capabilities. Particularly with Electric EDF jets and electric Helicopters that I also fly. LiPos and (DJI use a lithium polymer high voltage chemistry version) LiHv batteries have been able to reduce the size of electric power models as the battery can store significant power in a small area.

DJI experimented with LiOn batteries in the Mini 1 and it was a failure. The issues with "Insufficient Motor Power" warnings then the subsequent brownouts and uncontrolled descents in high wind is related to the inefficiency of LiOn in this application.

For maintenance you just need to realise that a voltage above or below the nominal voltage (3.7V), will damage the battery chemistry.

So fully charged at 4.2V LiPo or 4.4V LiHv is slowly damaging the chemistry. (This is what leads to the reduced number of charge cycles the battery can endure.) So Only charge the batteries when you are ready to fly. I do mine the night before. The greater the voltage above the 3.7V the grater the damage.

So a discharged battery less than 3.7V will also damage the chemistry. Never discharge on load below 3.3V per cell. Discharging to below 3.0V on a cell will instantly damage the cell. Always recharge to the 3.7V as quickly as practical.

I never discharge a DJI drone battery below 40%. This means it will be capable of the max recharge cycles possible. i.e. last longer. If you want longer flight times purchase additional batteries or have a battery charger for your car cig lighter.

All you need to do for maintenance is remember to keep the batteries at 3.7 V all the time unless you are using them.

If you have a capable LiPo charger set the storage voltage to 3.8V when the battery is removed from the charger its voltage will quickly drop closer to the 3.7V mark. (its better to be slightly over than slightly under for the storage charge. The battery will not gain charge in storage but it will lose charge)

Unfortunately as DJI have implemented Smart batteries, that adds yet another complexity. They will discharge automatically down to the storage voltage after a preset  number of days. [make that as short as possible in the settings if you can]

The unfortunate part is that the monitoring of the smart cct adds a very small load on the battery permanently that will allow the battery to drop below safe levels in storage if left long enough.

DJI recommend that you charge any batteries in storage to a full charge every 3 months. This is to prevent the constant leak.

DI should provide decent Storage charge capabilities with all their models They do not, the only DJI drone that supports Storage charging is the Phantom 4 triple battery charge block.

Cheers

2021-2-21
Use props
djiuser_mRziYpfX4Tqu
lvl.2
Hong Kong

bjr981s Posted at 2-21 02:34
Lithium Polymer Batteries have the highest power capacity per gram than any other battery chemistry.

LiPos have a chemistry that is basically unstable. That is the down side. But they have really spawned this electric power hobby with their capabilities. Particularly with Electric EDF jets and electric Helicopters that I also fly. LiPos and (DJI use a lithium polymer high voltage chemistry version) LiHv batteries have been able to reduce the size of electric power models as the battery can store significant power in a small area.

Thank you for your incredibly detailed post explaining the voltages required to maximize the battery potential and avoid long term damage.

I have seen many YouTube tests using the Mini 1 battery in the Mini 2 and they typically only noticed a 1 minute drop in flight time in comparison to the Mini 2 battery.

I currently have two batteries and I think for ease, I would rather just charge and use them as and when, and replace the batteries every 6 or 12 months depending on if there is any noticeable performance degradation from not following the storage rules. I foresee using the drone once or twice a week for fun and the batteries are not expensive.
2021-2-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules