Erasing flight history on drone internal memory (Mavic Air 2)
6374 11 2021-2-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sirhawkeye64
lvl.1
United States

Is there a way to erase the flight history that is stored on the Mavic Air 2 ?  I'm looking to sell mine and have cleared the flght logs from my account and on my smart drive, but when I plug the drone into the computer, and do a factory reset, I can see there are still flight logs stored on the drone's internal memory.

I guess my other question is, is there a way someone can download these logs and do anything with them?  Some sources say that the drone encrypts the files so that even if someone downloaded them, it would not really be easy for them to decrypt and use them (if they are encrypted).
Thoughts?

I know with the original Mavic Pro you could erase the logs both from the drone's internal/onboard memory and your account but it seems with the latest version of DJI Assistant and the newer drones, you can't erase the internal drone memory.
2021-2-24
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

format the internal memory, its an option next to format a drone SD card.

cheers
JJB
2021-2-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I guess my other question is, is there a way someone can download these logs and do anything with them?
No .. so there's no need to erase them anyway.
2021-2-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there sirhawkeye64. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have given. You can delete flight records from your mobile device, but not from the said DJI drone. In addition, once the new owner of the said DJI drone creates a new DJI account he will be starting a new flight record and all of the past flight records will not be included on that new account. Thank you.
2021-2-24
Use props
sirhawkeye64
lvl.1
United States

So the logs don't really contain any useful data to anyone even if they could download them"?  My biggest concern is GPS data, as I flew the drone around my home area for a while (but haven't flown the drone that much in general).  I don't care so much about diagnostic data in the flight history, just things like GPS location data.
2021-2-25
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

If you restart the drone 10 times, then all data buffers are actualized (and therefore not longer useful at all).
Do ist at any room where no GPS is available.
2021-2-26
Use props
djiuser_Re54rU0vyVIY
New

United States

JJB* Posted at 2021-2-24 10:41
format the internal memory, its an option next to format a drone SD card.

cheers

How do you do this?
2022-7-28
Use props
djiuser_Re54rU0vyVIY
New

United States

frankymusik Posted at 2021-2-26 08:44
If you restart the drone 10 times, then all data buffers are actualized (and therefore not longer useful at all).
Do ist at any room where no GPS is available.

How do you do this?
2022-7-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

He was confusing internal memory for storing video and stills (on models with thei feature) with the inbuilt storage for flight data.
There's no need to erase this.
It contains no files that anyone other than DJI can read anyway.
2022-7-28
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

... if you use the DJI Assistant 2, you can see under the menu item "Log Export" how many flights are saved internally...
For the Air 2, it's the last 10 you see there. All older ones will be overwritten automatically...

With newer DJI drones, there is much more data that is stored internally!

If you now switch the Air 2 on and off ten times in a row, these 10 data records only contain the last switch on/off processes, so all original flight data have been "deleted" (correct: overwritten)...

In the event of problems (guarantee claims, repair requests, etc. pp.), DJI asks you to upload the relevant data set (sorted by date and time) and transfer it to DJI...
You have access to these flight data via DJI Assistant 2...

However, if the event in question was overwritten (by repeatedly switching it on and off), then this data is (unfortunately) lost...

2022-7-29
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Labroides Posted at 7-28 20:32
He was confusing internal memory for storing video and stills (on models with thei feature) with the inbuilt storage for flight data.
There's no need to erase this.
It contains no files that anyone other than DJI can read anyway.

...not really helpful, statements like that...
2022-7-29
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

sirhawkeye64 Posted at 2021-2-25 07:37
So the logs don't really contain any useful data to anyone even if they could download them"?  My biggest concern is GPS data, as I flew the drone around my home area for a while (but haven't flown the drone that much in general).  I don't care so much about diagnostic data in the flight history, just things like GPS location data.

The DAT logs on the drone probably DO contain useful data but they are encrypted and no one other than DJI  can read them i.e. the data is safe.

With regards to Frankymusik's posts, he raises a feasible way of erasing the logs.

Indoors, with no GPS  signal, switch the drone on and off several times for a few minutes at a time. Then look at the log folder via the appropriate assitant 2.

I think the size of the logs from my Mavics were proportional to the length of the drones' switch ons, so it might take a fair few short duration switch ons to over-write all the 'useful logs'..........

In short it's not necessary, probably not worth the hassle and probably not the best thing for the drone.
2022-7-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules