Problem with DJI Repair and support for my X5 camera.
1023 10 2021-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Brian Fist
lvl.3
Flight distance : 19928 ft
United States

Hey guys, I have a number of Inspire setups and had an issue with my X5 camera.

I went out to fly a few weeks ago, and my DJI Go app said there was a firmware update.  Now I know I was ALREADY on the latest firmware, so I ignored it.  I took some video as a test, all seemed good.

The next day it bugged me about the firmware update, so I powered everything up again and sure enough it said there was a firmware update.

This time I was in the house, fresh charge on the battery and controller, so I decided to let it do the update.

I left it for 40 minutes, came back and the LED was flashing red on the camera.  I contacted support, they told me to download the firmware and do the _DEBUG file thing and force the firmware update.

I did that, again, after 40 minutes or so the LED on the camera is flashing red.  I pull the MicroSD card out and check the logfile and it says it aborted.

After that the camera no longer moves on any axis, the camera starts up and flashes green a few times and then there is no communication to the MicroSD card or aircraft from the camera.

I contacted support, jumped through all the hoops (since this is something they never saw before), and ultimately wanted me to send the camera in.

Now, I had THEM set up the repair for the camera, that way ALL the information back and forth (which includes log files, pictures and video, including video from the camera working just fine before the firmware update attempt) that was generated would go with the camera and the repair people could see everything that went on.

I send the camera in, and I get a repair quote within a few HOURS of receipt saying that the gimbal ESC modules ALL need to be replaced along with ribbon cables and everything else for a quote of $294!!!!

How can a firmware update cause so many items to go bad, including ribbon cables?????

I posted back to support after receiving the quote, they stated they would forward everything discussed to the repair people.

A week later I get a reminder to pay the same $294 quote.  So I send off another support request asking about progress, and all I get back is a statement that it has been quoted and I should just pay the quote.

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?!??!?!

It is OBVIOUS that no-one cares about looking into the cirumstances of what is transpiring and everyone is reading off a script instead of using critical judgement and looking at things logically.  I even asked why they aren't doing a forced firmware update on the camera.  I mean it has a USB port on it SOLELY for that purpose.  The camera boots since it flashes green for a while when powered on.

Who do I need to get in contact with to get some real answers from someone who cares about helping a customer???

I have multiple Inspire 1 setups (including Zenmuse X5R, X5, Z3 and X3 cameras), a Phantom 4 Pro, a Mavic Air, a Mavic 2 Pro and a Mavic 2 Zoom, along with dozens and dozens of batteries and thousands of dollars worth of accessories, and I am seriously questioning if my investment in DJI was just me being taken advantage of???

I have sent over a dozen messages back and forth in regards to my X5 camera and just to be given a cursory look over and a quote that doesn't include any real investigation as to WHAT happened and why my camera was rendered worthless with a firmware upgrade.  As I stated IT WAS JUST WORKING BEFORE I DID THE UPDATE!

Oh, and the drone itself flies just fine and is in great condition taking video with other cameras without issue, so the firmware is perfectly fine on the aircraft.
2021-2-25
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties that you encountered. I've managed to get your case number via your forum account, I'll help to escalate your case to the corresponding team to check and follow up.  If there is an update, we'll keep you updated. Thanks for your patience.
2021-2-25
Use props
Brian Fist
lvl.3
United States

Thank you for your reply to my situation.
If you look at the conversation back and forth throughout this ordeal (all of the cases that have been opened by each request are all under the same email address, and everything since the beginning of this year is all in response to my dilemma with the X5), you will notice a large number of disconnects in regards to responding directly to issues, following through with requests asked for after that option was offered by support personnel (such as setting up the RMA for the camera, so that it will be referenced back to the original issue and circumstance), to the way it was received and just "this is what we see" without even any sort of correlation back to the issue I had (as if there is little to no direction to repair from the support side of things in regards to troubleshooting and problem assessment) and in general feels like every step runs the risk of "starting over" with teh whole process, again and again and again.

If there is some feeback that could be forwarded to management, it would ideally be that people just cannot read off scripts and provide good customer service.  I completely understand that "user error" is a huge problem in that people can cause issues and not even understand why what they did caused that issue.

But, there is also a consumate group of professionals that use your products because they are not only great products, but also because they offer the flexibility and dynamics to get the job done in ways that cannot be accomplished with other products.  A lot of these professionals are also intelligent with extensive backgrounds not only in the "Arts" side of videography, photography, etc, but also on the technical side of things such as electronics, software, communications and hardware, which allows them a level of understanding where they can truly aprpeciate your innovation and suitability to purpose.  These people will not stand for "running in circles" with support people.  It is not only frustrating, but also leaves them with little hope that things will be handled in a manner that is representative towards the the way they apply the products themselves and treat the products with which they not only make a living, but also respect as tools that allow their creativity and passions to come to life.

Far too much "bad press" exists about DJIs support system.  It is OBVIOUS there is a fairly complex and I am sure, more than competent support system in place.  It would seem as if everyone is just looking to read from a script vs utilizing critical thought processes to take a problem that is truly a technical issue that does not "fit" the standard scripts, make sure it gets to someone who can determine how it needs to be resolved, and then allowing that process to complete full circle.  It would seem as if the handoff between support people (and especially to repair) is somewhat disjointed and broken, to the point that everyone new that gets involved is looking for a way to "start the process over" and start with the script back at square 1.

I know in my case, I was quite thorough, provided all the information needed to make an assessment, completely understood that this is one of the "outside the normal issues" type of issue.  But as soon as it was sent in, it was just a "run of the mill repair" in diagnosis.  I would assume that a company with as much engineering as you have in your products have the ability to "force flash" a firmware on a camera.  The camera has a USB port on it for just that purpose.

Ultimately, your products fall into catagories throughout the gamut of available interests, from toys to high-end professional gear with professional pricetags.  The support for the professional products needs to be handled in a way that reflects that level of customer.

2021-2-26
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Brian Fist Posted at 2-26 07:01
Thank you for your reply to my situation.
If you look at the conversation back and forth throughout this ordeal (all of the cases that have been opened by each request are all under the same email address, and everything since the beginning of this year is all in response to my dilemma with the X5), you will notice a large number of disconnects in regards to responding directly to issues, following through with requests asked for after that option was offered by support personnel (such as setting up the RMA for the camera, so that it will be referenced back to the original issue and circumstance), to the way it was received and just "this is what we see" without even any sort of correlation back to the issue I had (as if there is little to no direction to repair from the support side of things in regards to troubleshooting and problem assessment) and in general feels like every step runs the risk of "starting over" with teh whole process, again and again and again.

Sorry again for all the inconvenience caused, Brian. Your case has been escalated to the corresponding team to check and follow up.
2021-2-26
Use props
Brian Fist
lvl.3
United States

Afternoon, DJI Natalia

I was wondering if there was any status update from the team that is dealing with my case?

Thanks
2021-3-5
Use props
Brian Fist
lvl.3
United States

Has there been any new information about my case?

I asked on here for a status update 5 days ago, and nothing.

I only asked on here because I have not heard from anyone at DJI about my case.

Who can I contact?
2021-3-10
Use props
Brian Fist
lvl.3
United States

I just received a final payment reminder for the same amount of $294.

Please advise as to any update.
2021-3-15
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Brian Fist Posted at 3-15 10:55
I just received a final payment reminder for the same amount of $294.

Please advise as to any update.

Sorry for the late response. I'll help to urge the team again and will keep you updated soon.
2021-3-16
Use props
Brian Fist
lvl.3
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 3-16 04:11
Sorry for the late response. I'll help to urge the team again and will keep you updated soon.

Thank you.
2021-3-16
Use props
Brian Fist
lvl.3
United States

I can happily report that I heard back from the team dealing with this and it has been resolved.

DJI Natalia, thanks again for all your help.  You have restored my faith in DJI support.

My next purchase is a DJI FPV Combo with a DJI FPV Fly More Combo Kit to round it out.  I think there is some unique killer cinematic video to be had with that setup.

Thanks again!
2021-3-16
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Brian Fist Posted at 3-16 18:04
I can happily report that I heard back from the team dealing with this and it has been resolved.

DJI Natalia, thanks again for all your help.  You have restored my faith in DJI support.

Thank you very much for your update, I am more than happy to hear that the issue was solved.
Thank you for your support for DJI, hope to see your work if possible.
2021-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules