4K video pixelation
1185 8 2021-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
delf67
lvl.4
Flight distance : 379449 ft
United Kingdom

I have a Mini 2 that cannot record video at any higher res than 2.7K/ 30fps (approx 40MB/s) without getting pixelated and choppy video. 2.7K/ 48fps (approx 80MB/s) gets slightly pixelated, but the 4K at any fps is really bad.I've put a still from a 4K video below and you'll notice loads of pixelation at the bottom in the grass area. It's not like that all of the time, but does it every 3-4 seconds. The video will also freeze momentarily and then jump.
My 1st thought was the SD card not being able to write fast enough, so I bought a Sandisk extreme A2 64GB from DJI which is supposedly good for 4K video (although the figures don't bare that out). Sandisk extreme specs: 'Upto 60MB/s write speed'  vs 100MB/s bitrate for 4K vid?

Thoughts, anyone?

Pixels.jpg
Pixels big.jpg
Sandisk extreme.jpg
2021-2-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

You are not reading the card specs correctly, 60 MB/s is 60 MegaBYTES per second, while the camera can record up to 100 MegaBITS per second. A byte is 8 bits, therefore 60MB/s is equivalent to 480 Mega bits per second or 480 Mb/s.

And in the example you posted, all that fine grass is probably the worst case for an MPEG encoder, far too much detail for the encoder to cope with.

2021-2-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there delf67. I am sorry for the trouble this has cause and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please try using a different supported SD card to see if the issue will still persist. For refrence I will post the list of supported SD Card for the DJI Mini 2. Thank you.

2021-2-25
Use props
delf67
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2-25 16:40
You are not reading the card specs correctly, 60 MB/s is 60 MegaBYTES per second, while the camera can record up to 100 MegaBITS per second. A byte is 8 bits, therefore 60MB/s is equivalent to 480 Mega bits per second or 480 Mb/s.

And in the example you posted, all that fine grass is probably the worst case for an MPEG encoder, far too much detail for the encoder to cope with.

So the Mini 2 can record 4K video as long as the image doesn't contain any detail? What about the tree canopy, there's no pixelation there?
2021-2-25
Use props
delf67
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-25 20:17
Hello there delf67. I am sorry for the trouble this has cause and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please try using a different supported SD card to see if the issue will still persist. For refrence I will post the list of supported SD Card for the DJI Mini 2. Thank you.

[view_image]

Hi,

I have a Sandisk Extreme Pro A2 on order, I'll give an update once I've tried it.
2021-2-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

delf67 Posted at 2-25 23:22
So the Mini 2 can record 4K video as long as the image doesn't contain any detail? What about the tree canopy, there's no pixelation there?

You are still likely to get the same compression artifacts in the canopy. This question comes up every year as the northern hemisphere goes into winter. The trees lose their leaves, leaving wispy branches that do not compress very well.
2021-2-26
Use props
delf67
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2-26 14:40
You are still likely to get the same compression artifacts in the canopy. This question comes up every year as the northern hemisphere goes into winter. The trees lose their leaves, leaving wispy branches that do not compress very well.

Blast those trees for ruining my videos!
2021-2-26
Use props
delf67
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Well don't I feel an idiot....
The mini is recording 4k video fine, it was Windows video player that was causing the pixilation.
I tried a new Sandisk Extreme Pro SD card, but the video was still bad, so I thought I'd try a different video player. I downloaded VLC player, and it plays my 4K vids no problem.
Thanks microsoft
2021-3-2
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

delf67 Posted at 3-2 15:48
Well don't I feel an idiot....
The mini is recording 4k video fine, it was Windows video player that was causing the pixilation.
I tried a new Sandisk Extreme Pro SD card, but the video was still bad, so I thought I'd try a different video player. I downloaded VLC player, and it plays my 4K vids no problem.

At least you now have an extra microSD card!!
2021-3-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules