camera guard for the Phantom 3
1694 14 2015-7-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
old_sailor
lvl.1

United States

Has anyone come up with a camera guard for the Phantom 3?

Thanks,

Ed Murphy
2015-7-10
Use props
kevinr621
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36427 ft
United States

I ordered this one on Amazon - Do not have it yet- it ships from China:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... _detailpage_o05_s00

2015-7-11
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

old_sailor, you can find a few good options here:
http://www.PhantomHelp.com/#ProtectCameraP3

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)

2015-7-11
Use props
Eagle-ONE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 495869 ft
United States

I am going to sell this one's on ebay just a couple, are made of Titanium.

IMG_1677low.jpg
2015-7-11
Use props
jhall651
lvl.3

United States

I have seen several crashes with camera guards. The guards did pretty much nothing. I wouldn't waste your money.
2015-7-11
Use props
Adamation
lvl.2

United Kingdom

jhall651 Posted at 2015-7-12 04:26
I have seen several crashes with camera guards. The guards did pretty much nothing. I wouldn't waste ...

Do you have links to these? I would be interested in seeing the damage - Adam
2015-7-11
Use props
jhall651
lvl.3

United States

Adamation Posted at 2015-7-12 06:23
Do you have links to these? I would be interested in seeing the damage - Adam

Sure I'll do some of your homework for ya. Here's one on the front page, but if you look for yourself you can find more on here and elsewhere on that thing they call the World Wide Web.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-23658-1-1.html      

You see the problem with these guards is this.  The only thing they protect against is a directly vertical impact agaisnst something that is protruding like a rock, etc...  In addition it's really only going to protect it in a controlled decent like a RTH or manual landing.  Any kind of extreme impact and the G's are going to do what they do (i.e. snap the gimbal or wreck the camera) just like they would with or without the guard.  So with that being said, if you manually land it then I would hope you would not do so onto a rock, if you RTH I would hope you would not let it set itself down onto a rock, so that leave a failsafe setdown.  In that case odds are it's on you for letting it get to that point (draining the battery to 0) and in which case sure, if thats you, buy one.  Just better hope your not near water, gimbal guards suck at protecting agaisnt water.  So is the added weight and drag worth it?  My two cents.

2015-7-11
Use props
old_sailor
lvl.1

United States

kevinr621 Posted at 2015-7-11 20:14
I ordered this one on Amazon - Do not have it yet- it ships from China:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/pr ...

I was going to order this as well, through Amazon, but noticed that with Prime, it'd take over a month to reach me in CA. "Expedited" costs an extra $20. I declined.
2015-7-11
Use props
old_sailor
lvl.1

United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-7-11 20:46
old_sailor, you can find a few good options here:
http://www.PhantomHelp.com/#ProtectCameraP3

Thanks. Currently, they're between $30-40. I think I'll make my own.
2015-7-11
Use props
nr.kyborg
lvl.3

Denmark

Eagle-ONE Posted at 2015-7-11 21:04
I am going to sell this one's on ebay just a couple, are made of Titanium.

would like to buy one, price ? Will you ship to Denmark ?

Regards

Nicholas Rønshof
2015-7-12
Use props
kevinr621
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36427 ft
United States

I ordered mine to protect it when landing in sand and grass. A crash is a crash, and I wouldn't expect this to totally protect the assembly, but I do not have it yet. I will install and fly with it to see how it works. If I see no value will return using Amazon Prime.
2015-7-12
Use props
Eagle-ONE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 495869 ft
United States

nr.kyborg Posted at 2015-7-12 16:22
would like to buy one, price ? Will you ship to Denmark ?

Regards

I will add it on ebay today
2015-7-12
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

jhall651 Posted at 2015-7-12 08:48
Sure I'll do some of your homework for ya. Here's one on the front page, but if you look for yourse ...

I have to agree to slightly disagree. They do strengthen the legs a bit for those slightly tilted hard landings. Now that being said, a 10 meter fall will still be disastrous...short of landing on bubble wrap. The bolt on gimbal clamp has a little more function as it keeps the arms together instead of separating at hard landing. I have had a gimbal come apart when I had a battery slip out (it wasn't clipped in well) on my P2+. I think all of the "protective" devices offer some protection but nothing will defeat gravity but a parachute.   
2015-7-12
Use props
nr.kyborg
lvl.3

Denmark

Eagle-ONE Posted at 2015-7-12 23:23
I will add it on ebay today

cool please post link
2015-7-12
Use props
amatthews
lvl.4
Flight distance : 675364 ft
Germany

Does the gimbal guard bother the sensors? Any experiences here?

Thanks
alex
2015-7-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules