How I broke my Mini 2 and how I fixed it
752 11 2021-3-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HighInBC
lvl.2
Philippines

Hello. First post here. I thought I would post my experience in the hope that someone else has a similar problem and can benefit from my solution.

After about a week of flying my Mini 2 I decided to fly it indoors. I hit a wall about 3 meters up and then shortly after hit the ground.

I inspected the craft and found no visible damage. The arms all sat right, the props were in good condition, and everything seemed okay. So I took it for a test flight.

It immediately swung backwards as soon as I took off. I re-calibrated the IMU several times but the same problem kept happening.

I was familiar with the inner workings of the craft from YouTube videos. After looking into the battery compartment with a flashlight I saw that the IMU/GPS board was sitting crooked inside the case.

I removed the 4 screws that secured the top plate. Actually removing the plate was the hardest part, I did not have a proper spudger and managed to unclip it with a flat head screw driver. I recommend you get a proper spudger for this. By the time I had the top plate off the IMU/GPS board was already sitting correctly, I assume it was wedged against the top plate. I did a test flight with the top off and it worked perfectly.

I replaced the top plate and screws and re-calibrated the IMU and was good to go.

If you experience the craft seemingly intentionally titling in a given direction as soon as it gets into the air I recommend you look in the battery compartment to see if the IMU/GPS board is crooked. It is the square board farthest into it on the top with a ribbon cable.

This was a relatively easy fix, but I think I voided my warranty. I don't have the extended protection and this was a not manufacturers defect so I am not too worried about that. I do think DJI could probably change the shape of the mould for the top plate to avoid this sort of jamming in the future but nobody is perfect.

2021-3-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing.
2021-3-4
Use props
Gelert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2063238 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great tip - many thanks for sharing
2021-3-4
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there HighInBC. Good day and thank you for sharing this informative tips that you have done to your DJI Mini 2. Since the said DJI drone crashed to a wall before and if you feel that the drone is not preforming well on your future flights. I would recommend to contact our DJI support team at  https://www.dji.com/support for further assistance and for us to be able to check the said drone thoroughly for damages. Thank you and fly safe always.
2021-3-4
Use props
Armando80
lvl.4
Flight distance : 848524 ft
Netherlands

Thanks for sharing!
2021-3-4
Use props
HighInBC
lvl.2
Philippines

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-4 01:00
Hello there HighInBC. Good day and thank you for sharing this informative tips that you have done to your DJI Mini 2. Since the said DJI drone crashed to a wall before and if you feel that the drone is not preforming well on your future flights. I would recommend to contact our DJI support team at  https://www.dji.com/support for further assistance and for us to be able to check the said drone thoroughly for damages. Thank you and fly safe always.

Thank you, if it behaves strangely in the future I will contact support. Right now it is working as good as new.
2021-3-4
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice job.  Glad you got it fixed.  I have done several DIY replacements of arms (1 for my Mini and 3 for other flyers).  Not hard if you have the right tools and steady hands.

By the way, 3 of the 4 arms I replaced were due to accidents of pilots flying inside.  Mine was outside but I missed seeing a small cable and cracked the arm.  I was amazed that it kept flying long enough to safely land.  
2021-3-4
Use props
Donut Michigan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42415 ft
United States

Thanks for the post.
Question. I’m a little confused. You said top plate and 4 screws. Do you mean the bottom because the top cover snaps on  and the bottom screws on.
If you can see the IMU in the battery compartment is it below the battery or above it.
If it went back into place when you removed the cover could it be popped back into place threw the battery compartment.
Doug
2021-3-4
Use props
RenegadeCowboyAZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3600774 ft
United States

Thank you for sharing this friend
2021-3-4
Use props
HighInBC
lvl.2
Philippines

Donut Michigan Posted at 3-4 12:17
Thanks for the post.
Question. I’m a little confused. You said top plate and 4 screws. Do you mean the bottom because the top cover snaps on  and the bottom screws on.
If you can see the IMU in the battery compartment is it below the battery or above it.

Yes in hindsight I probably could have poked the GPS/IMU with a chop stick through the battery compartment to resettle it. At the top back of the battery compartment.

It was the top plate, I removed the screws on the bottom because a YouTube video said that was needed to remove the top plate, but I am not certain it was needed if you say it just unclips.
2021-3-4
Use props
Donut Michigan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42415 ft
United States

HighInBC Posted at 3-4 15:49
Yes in hindsight I probably could have poked the GPS/IMU with a chop stick through the battery compartment to resettle it. At the top back of the battery compartment.

It was the top plate, I removed the screws on the bottom because a YouTube video said that was needed to remove the top plate, but I am not certain it was needed if you say it just unclips.

Thanks for the update. I had to replace a broken arm pivot and had to just remove the top (no screws) to remove.
But your description was highly helpful to all of us so thank you.
When mine broke the pivot arm I had some cool video of it tumbling down threw a tree from 70 feet up.lol.
Doug
2021-3-4
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

HighInBC Posted at 3-4 01:15
Thank you, if it behaves strangely in the future I will contact support. Right now it is working as good as new.

Hi there HighInBC. Thank you for the reply and you are very much welcome. If you have any other inquiries or concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help and assist you. Thank you.
2021-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules