Noisy Focus motor (RSCFM) - Resolved through repair/replacement
2693 7 2021-3-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Veluuria
lvl.2
Netherlands

hi all,

I just got the rsc2 pro combo with the focus motor.  I've tried it, and found the focus motor to be really noisy. it's not slipping on the gears, it turns the ring well - though the noise is so loud as to render it unusable. is this just a problem specific to mine, or is it a general noise level they all have?

The noise sounds like an image stabiliser/sensor clean on steroids and ongoing (the image stabiliser from the nikon 70-300 vrii sounds just like this). the motor stands down after a while and goes silent, but when it's spun up it's really noisy.

Anyone else have a similar observation or know how to fix?  else I'll have to send it back.

Thanks in anticipation,

Dylan
2021-3-4
Use props
Modsquito
New
United States

When my focus motor worked it wasn't noticeable, however recently it stopped working (it's less than a week old).  Now when it spins (not when I tell it to), it is definitely quite audible, and very steppy and not smooth.  Hopefully they just screwed up the firmware?  Not sure, but would be nice if it was and they fix it soon so we don't have to return a ton of focus motors lol
2021-3-9
Use props
Veluuria
lvl.2
Netherlands

yeah, when turning the ring it's steppy/noisy (even when I move it away from the focus ring...), and after it's just making a spinning noise.  sounds very similar though mine will still operate when I tell it to.
2021-3-11
Use props
Veluuria
lvl.2
Netherlands

As an update, after contacting DJI support, they told me to send it in for repair.  I've since sent it and received a message that they will repair it free of charge. I'll see what it is like when  get it back.
2021-3-18
Use props
Veluuria
lvl.2
Netherlands

it's been mailed, and the mailing confirmation shows a different serial number, so it looks like it'll be a replacement that arrives (refurbished or new - either way as long as it's quiet I don't mind :-) )
2021-3-19
Use props
Veluuria
lvl.2
Netherlands

replacement arrived and it's quiet. if I fling it and make it turn really fast, there's gear noise - but it's not something that anyone would do during a shot, so completely irrelevant.  Thanks DJI for sorting it out.
2021-3-22
Use props
alefteri
lvl.1
Greece

I FOUND A SOLUTION(WithWarning Message) UNTIL    DJI   FIXES THIS ISSUE!!!!  DOWNGRADE YOUR FOCUS MOTOR ONLY UPGRATE EVERYTHING ELSE  INSTRUCTIONS  CONNECT THE FOCUS MOTOR ON THE GIMBAL WITH THE CABLE DOWNGRADE FIRMWARE to Version  01.02.00.10  AFTER THE DOWNGRADE YOU WILL HAVE ALMOST NO NOISE AT ALL! BUT ALSO MANY LESS FEATURES...ON YOUR GIMBAL  SO...  DISSCONNECT the Focus Motor cable.  You can leave it on the Gimbal (in order not to rebalance) UPGRADE to the latest firmware version.  When it finishes you have the silent firmware for your focus motor and the latest features for gimbal BUT you will get a Warning message every time you turn on the gimbal. The message will say that it detects Inconsistent Firmware and it will ask you to Update your  Firmware    PRESS CANCEL  To bypass the message turn on the gimbal first and connect the usb cable of the motor after.  THIS WORKED ON MY RS2 (with RONIN S FOCUS MOTOR & WITH WHEEL + SC FOCUS MOTOR)
2021-3-24
Use props
alefteri
lvl.1
Greece

Modsquito Posted at 3-9 06:41
When my focus motor worked it wasn't noticeable, however recently it stopped working (it's less than a week old).  Now when it spins (not when I tell it to), it is definitely quite audible, and very steppy and not smooth.  Hopefully they just screwed up the firmware?  Not sure, but would be nice if it was and they fix it soon so we don't have to return a ton of focus motors lol

I FOUND A SOLUTION(WithWarning Message) UNTIL    DJI   FIXES THIS ISSUE!!!!

DOWNGRADE YOUR FOCUS MOTOR ONLY
UPGRATE EVERYTHING ELSE

INSTRUCTIONS

CONNECT THE FOCUS MOTOR ON THE GIMBAL WITH THE CABLE
DOWNGRADE FIRMWARE to Version  01.02.00.10

AFTER THE DOWNGRADE YOU WILL HAVE ALMOST NO NOISE AT ALL!
BUT ALSO MANY LESS FEATURES...ON YOUR GIMBAL

SO...

DISSCONNECT the Focus Motor cable.  You can leave it on the Gimbal (in order not to rebalance)
UPGRADE to the latest firmware version.

When it finishes you have the silent firmware for your focus motor and the latest features for gimbal
BUT you will get a Warning message every time you turn on the gimbal.
The message will say that it detects Inconsistent Firmware and it will ask you to Update your  Firmware  

PRESS CANCEL

To bypass the message
turn on the gimbal first and connect the usb cable of the motor after.

THIS WORKED ON MY RS2 (with RONIN S FOCUS MOTOR & WITH WHEEL + SC FOCUS MOTOR)
2021-3-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules