Pole filter or no pole filter?
436 7 2021-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ozoffi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 55128 ft
Austria

Two "sightseeing flights" in very good lighting conditions - one with a polarization filter, one without.
I don't see much difference now ...

With Polfilter:

Without:

2021-3-7
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

Pola filter only work depending on the angle of the sun. They can reduce the reflection  on water., intensify the colors of the sky.

Check out some articles on the internet about the use of pola filters and the different types.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarizing_filter_(photography)#:~:text=Light%20reflected%20from%20a%20non,will%20absorb%20much%20of%20it.
2021-3-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there ozoffi. Good day and thank you for posting these wonderful videos you have filmed. The scenery for the air looks amazing. Great work and keep flying. .
2021-3-7
Use props
ozoffi
Second Officer
Austria

@JohnDG   I know how a polarization filter works ... As you can see, the drone films 360 degrees of the environment, with different sun angles of course - only the colors (which I would have expected) are not more intense ... On the contrary, with backlighting the filter had a reflection in one corner ... It is possible that the pole Filter from the Filter brand I bought is a placebo ... I'll try again with a Freewell Circular pole filter and with a sun visor for the drone to minimize side light or the like.

@DJI stephen Thank You
2021-3-7
Use props
Donut Michigan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42415 ft
United States

Hope I can explain this.
On a bright sunny day the sun washes the colors out mainly greens and Blue’s.
Have you ever notices on an overcast day the greens are much greener.  The polarize helps reduce the sun from washing the colors out by the sun. But that only works at certain times of day and angle of the light.
Polarize lenses can make the ski bluer and green vegetation more green. Also can reduce reflection and at times you can see threw the reflection in water. We’ve all seen adds of fish being seen in water with polarize sunglasses.  It can make colors more worm and crisp.
Hope I explained that ok. If I didn’t someone will say so.
Doug

2021-3-7
Use props
ozoffi
Second Officer
Austria

Very well explained! That's why I also love polarized sunglasses ...
In the case of the two videos, there is hardly any noticeable difference in the blue of the sky - that's exactly where I was hoping that the pole filter would do something. Of course, it is possible that the filter I used is a placebo - so I will repeat the experiment with a better filter.
2021-3-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

ozoffi Posted at 3-8 00:54
Very well explained! That's why I also love polarized sunglasses ...
In the case of the two videos, there is hardly any noticeable difference in the blue of the sky - that's exactly where I was hoping that the pole filter would do something. Of course, it is possible that the filter I used is a placebo - so I will repeat the experiment with a better filter.

Polarising filters are more trouble than they are worth for drone shooting.
You will only get the optimal polarising effect with the filter aligned at the correct angle to the sun.
To use them you need to plan your shot, align the filter for the shot and launch.
But if you turn the drone to any other angle, you'll get no polarising or blotchy, uneven polarising in the sky.
2021-3-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I personally see little use for polarizers for drone video's.
Mainly because the angle the light hits the lens varies too much for the filters to work efficiently.
There is a huge impact, but only at certain angles.
i don't shoot certain angles only
2021-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules