Custom built FPV drone interference.
1094 11 2021-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DroneNoob1975
lvl.1
United States

So after much hoop jumping and teeth nashing I was finally granted a custom unlock by DJI support to fly my new Mavic Mini drone at my local RC flying field.  There was a guy out there who was running a presumably self built FPV drone.  I got my Mavic in the air and almost immediately, the guy comes over telling me that my Mavic controller is interfereing with his setup.  I'm new to this game, so I don't know if this is even possible.

Can any of you guys help me out here?

Thanks,

CP
2021-3-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Highly unlikely you caused that.  Probably something with his DIY setup.
2021-3-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I seriously doubt your Remote controller caused him any interference issues.
2021-3-8
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Usually, the homebuilt fpv units tend to run the video on 2.4, are you running on that freq?
It could be blowing his vid feeds.
The only way to tell is when his kit is on, and happy, turn on your bits and see what happens...
2021-3-8
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Depending on what frequencies he is using, it certainly is a possibility.  Back in the old days, it was normal for RC aircraft to interfere with each other, so careful frequency coordination was used - commonly different color flags on antennas.

Here is my opinion.  None of us want to crash our drones - or someone elses.  Complete cooperation with each other should be the name of the game.  It should not be a problem to stagger each other's flying so that there is not a problem.  May also be able to have one or the other flier to change frequencies so they don't interfere.
2021-3-8
Use props
DroneNoob1975
lvl.1
United States

Flycaster Posted at 3-8 07:40
Usually, the homebuilt fpv units tend to run the video on 2.4, are you running on that freq?
It could be blowing his vid feeds.
The only way to tell is when his kit is on, and happy, turn on your bits and see what happens...

After I got my Mini back on the ground and checked my connectivity settings, I found that I was on 5.8ghz and set to auto.  I'm not 100% sure what he was running, because he was fairly unfriendly, and really wasn't clear what channel he was running.  
2021-3-8
Use props
DroneNoob1975
lvl.1
United States

K6CCC Posted at 3-8 10:03
Depending on what frequencies he is using, it certainly is a possibility.  Back in the old days, it was normal for RC aircraft to interfere with each other, so careful frequency coordination was used - commonly different color flags on antennas.

Here is my opinion.  None of us want to crash our drones - or someone elses.  Complete cooperation with each other should be the name of the game.  It should not be a problem to stagger each other's flying so that there is not a problem.  May also be able to have one or the other flier to change frequencies so they don't interfere.

Thank You for your take on this.  It seems that most folks are running on the 2.4ghz spectrum and I was on the 5.8 ghz spectrum, so I'm unsure if my drone was actually causing him problems.  He was fairly unfriendly and I don't think he was interested in doing anything like staggering flying.  I feel he just wanted the whole area to himself.
2021-3-8
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

DroneNoob1975 Posted at 3-8 11:31
Thank You for your take on this.  It seems that most folks are running on the 2.4ghz spectrum and I was on the 5.8 ghz spectrum, so I'm unsure if my drone was actually causing him problems.  He was fairly unfriendly and I don't think he was interested in doing anything like staggering flying.  I feel he just wanted the whole area to himself.

Yea, some people are just jerks...
2021-3-8
Use props
mark117h
Second Officer
Flight distance : 241306 ft
United Kingdom

DroneNoob1975 Posted at 3-8 11:31
Thank You for your take on this.  It seems that most folks are running on the 2.4ghz spectrum and I was on the 5.8 ghz spectrum, so I'm unsure if my drone was actually causing him problems.  He was fairly unfriendly and I don't think he was interested in doing anything like staggering flying.  I feel he just wanted the whole area to himself.

Hi DroneNoob.

"I feel he just wanted the whole area to himself."

That is more than likely the real reason behind him being a jerk, and maybe the fact that you are flying using a DJI Product, you do get them now and again that don't like DJI Drones, that is, until they actually try one, then they are converted lol.

Either way, don't let it get you down, you will meet mostly nice types when out flying, it just seems unluckily for you on the day that you met one of the d#@k heads "Jerks"
2021-3-8
Use props
DroneNoob1975
lvl.1
United States

mark117h Posted at 3-8 14:26
Hi DroneNoob.

"I feel he just wanted the whole area to himself."

It sucks, but it is what it is...this is only one small section of a very large RC flying field and pretty much all the folks on the RC side seem to be a very friendly group of folks.  
2021-3-8
Use props
Lisa3 AKA Karen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I highly doubt your controller interfered with him.
As mentioned by others, a long time ago when you bought a radio it had a specific channel.
There was a plastic number holder on the radio antenna indicating your channel and also a flag at the tip, two colors that also showed your channel (the colors represented specific number).
We used a board with colored clothespins to match channels. Before you turned on your radio you had to have it clipped on your antenna. If the channel clothespin was missing it meant somebody was using and you were not allowed to turn on your radio.
This was back in the day of radios using AM and FM frequencies.

That ship has long sailed and the controller is now bound to the aircraft without interference issues.
I’m guessing that “guy” is probably in his 60’s and remembering days of old.

Long winded response and more information than you needed but it reminded me of what we had to deal with back then.
2021-3-8
Use props
DroneNoob1975
lvl.1
United States

Lisa3 AKA Karen Posted at 3-8 16:52
I highly doubt your controller interfered with him.
As mentioned by others, a long time ago when you bought a radio it had a specific channel.
There was a plastic number holder on the radio antenna indicating your channel and also a flag at the tip, two colors that also showed your channel (the colors represented specific number).

I was never part of the "professional" RC aircraft community, but I do understand that frequency tags were a thing.  This DJI drone is the first "real" drone I've ever owned and I'm finding the learning curve for using this drone in general as well as legally is really steep.  I appreciate you replying to this thread and confirming my suspicions.
2021-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules