First flight everything went weird
909 15 2021-3-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jweaver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47664 ft
United Kingdom

Other than a quick test flight in the garden, I havn't  taken my Mini2 out in anger until today, where I got a few mins free to  take it out for its first real flight.

And  it all went pretty well.. I just spent the time building confidence and  getting general experince.. And I had no problem at all until about 15  mins in, I was at about 30 feet, hovering 20 feet infront of me.. I  tipped the gimble down just to get me in frame and snapped a few photos.

Then  I pressed the 'function' button which made the gimble tip down, and I  wondered whether it would go horizontal when I pressed it again or  remember the angle it was at.

So  I pressed it and it all went to hell.. First I got an error about the  gimble (didn't get chance to read what it said).. Then I got something  aobut contacting DJI service.

Then  the video went grey.. And I noticed all the icons were red.. So to me  this means that the controller lost connection with the drone.. And then  I think it came back and said that an autoland was in progress, which  happened pretty quickly.

After landing and taking off for the rest of the battery, I had no similar issues, but its affected my faith in it a little..

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what happened?

Jon

2021-3-8
Use props
Donut Michigan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42415 ft
United States

Did you still have any stick control. If so with everything going res there is a good possibility the cable either at the controller or the iPhone lost connection.
2021-3-8
Use props
jweaver
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Donut Michigan Posted at 3-8 10:17
Did you still have any stick control. If so with everything going res there is a good possibility the cable either at the controller or the iPhone lost connection.

It all happened so quickly as the mini was so close to home, that it landed before i had chance to realise what was happening.

I dont think it was a cable.. i got an error about the gimble when i tired to move it when this started so i it was related to that
2021-3-8
Use props
Donut Michigan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42415 ft
United States

You are saying two separate things.
Gimble error
Screen went gray and icons went Red.
When the screen goes gray and icons went red .  If you disconnect the controller cable it will go gray and with red icons meaning no connection from controller to your iPhone.
So I’m guess you still had control with the controller.
It will not RTH at 30 feet away. It will land where it is at.
When it gets to low it will automatically go into landing mode.
Pressing the button will move the gamble to 0 and pressing again will move it to 90* down.
When pressing the button you might have unintentionally moved the joystick.
Just guessing here.  
2021-3-8
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Best to get help, apart from text help,  is to upload your flightlog, using this > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Flightlog will probably explain what sort of disconnect happend in this flight.

cheers
JJB
2021-3-8
Use props
jweaver
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Donut Michigan Posted at 3-8 11:53
Gimble error

Not 2 things at all. I am listing what happened in order

First of all I pointed the gimble down using the Function button.

Then I pointed it back (using Fn button) and I got an error about the gimble..

But from there, in the space of a few seconds, it could be longer, I got the grey video and red icons.

And I agree that all 3 symptoms could have been the same thing.. The error might just have been a side effect of the diconnection.

I 100% didn't move the joystick.

Then when it was in this state, it appeared to do a RTH.. But beacuse it was literally next to the home point, it might have just landed where it was, so looked like an RTH..

So I am just going to mark this one down to experience and put it behind me.. But I will upload my logs as per JJB*s suggestion just out of curiosity.
2021-3-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Jon. I am sorry to read and to know that you had an issue with your DJI Mini 2 on your previous flight. May we know what is the model of the mobile device you are using please and can you please fly your DJI Mini 2 to a different location with less interference to see if the issue will still persist? The said DJI drone might have picked up magnetic interference on the ground, and you took off from close to a buildings with rebar concrete metal objects on it. In addition please make sure that the antennas are pointed toward the aircraft for optimal transmission. Thank you.

2021-3-8
Use props
jweaver
lvl.4
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 3-8 12:09
Hi,

Best to get help, apart from text help,  is to upload your flightlog, using this > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

I have uploaded my log, but I must be doing something wrong, as after I do the upload, I am taken to the viewer but it shows no data. I tried with several of my log/txt files and its the same... It appear to upload but then I am left with a viewer showing no data.

Incase you can see it, here is the problematic flight

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/HHWTEA4FCSQJCZP5YPDX

I have realised that I can play it back on the phone and can see the order of events..

2:58 : Downward Vision sensor er (Assume it says error)

Then it jumps to 3:11 where it says Aircraft Not connected to RC

Followed by Auto Returning to home (Os) (so no countdown).

3:12 - 3:28 - In Flight.. Like the RTH didn't happen.. But I am sure it autolanded.

I hope we can find a way for someone to review my log, as I would like to understand what happened between 2:58 and 3:11.. If the app froze during this time, why was the error "Aircraft not connected to RC"? Is that expected behavour when the app has an issue?

Edit: According to this, you can't use the log viewer for the Mini2

https://forum.phantomhelp.com/t/flight-reader-returns-empty-log/5836/10

2021-3-9
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

jweaver Posted at 3-9 04:42
I have uploaded my log, but I must be doing something wrong, as after I do the upload, I am taken to the viewer but it shows no data. I tried with several of my log/txt files and its the same... It appear to upload but then I am left with a viewer showing no data.

Incase you can see it, here is the problematic flight

Hi,

see my chart of your data.

Indeed a complete loss of connection RC<>Craft, but when it was connected again your button press RTH made it go into a RTH.As it was close to home in autolanded. Not 100% sure , bc  after 11 secs it should go automatically in a RTH. The message "Aircraft not connected to RC" means it did go automatically in a RTH mode.

(so my second '< USER RTH >' in the chart is wrong....)

No countdown as the distance to home < 20 meter, so it went direct into a autolanding.

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
2021-3-9
Use props
jweaver
lvl.4
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 3-9 05:04
Hi,

see my chart of your data.

Thanks for that.. So this was a disconnect between the RC and the Aircraftt? And not an app issue?

Odd that its was only 10-20ft away from me at the time.. Quite close to loose contact, but I do understand that close range can be as troublesome as distance.

I certainly didn't press teh RTH button at the end.. In the middle of the flight I did was I was testing RTH.. But at the end, the display went grey and the Aircraft landed on its own...

So should I just write this off as "One of those things"?
2021-3-9
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

jweaver Posted at 3-9 05:20
Thanks for that.. So this was a disconnect between the RC and the Aircraftt? And not an app issue?

Odd that its was only 10-20ft away from me at the time.. Quite close to loose contact, but I do understand that close range can be as troublesome as distance.

Hi,

Yes, if we trust the DJI messages than the drone was disconnected from the RC.
And as the RTH was initiated not by you, 100% sure it was disconnected.

TIP. do not take-off close to water area....if craft is within 20 meters from HP and over water if will land....

cheers
JJB
2021-3-9
Use props
jweaver
lvl.4
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 3-9 08:40
Hi,

Yes, if we trust the DJI messages than the drone was disconnected from the RC.

Hang on..  Explain that... Why not over water? You mean because the sensors can't see water or something else?

So do you mean that you need to be more than 20m from water? What do you mean by close?

I am asking this as my flying site is near a river.. Its more than 20m away, but not much.. I just measured on Google and its more like 40m.. But I could move a bit further way (perhaps 10m) if necessary..
2021-3-9
Use props
RenegadeCowboyAZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3600774 ft
United States

Donut Michigan Posted at 3-8 11:53
Gimble error

Sounds like this is exactly what happened
2021-3-9
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

jweaver Posted at 3-9 08:57
Hang on..  Explain that... Why not over water? You mean because the sensors can't see water or something else?

So do you mean that you need to be more than 20m from water? What do you mean by close?

Hi,

I try to explain, if you starting point is next to a waterfront and you fly 10 meters forward over water AND you loose full connection : it will autoland ! * splash *

So if possible find a takeoff spot > 20 meters away from water, so again 10 meters over water (hp is than 30 meters away), loose full connection and drone will do a RTH and land with dry feet.

Over water flying is OK, not too low and for sure not hovering low above streaming water....

cheers
JJB
2021-3-9
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What version of the app are you on there were some disconnect issues with older versions of the app also I assume you have the mini 2 and not the mini as you keep saying
2021-3-10
Use props
jweaver
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 3-10 00:11
What version of the app are you on there were some disconnect issues with older versions of the app also I assume you have the mini 2 and not the mini as you keep saying

Yes.. Mini2 not 1... And my FW was at the time was V01.02.0100 as I had not updated to the latest.

But I am now on V01.02.0300 but havn't flown yet.

Sorry.. You asked about the app.. At the time I was on the latest 1.3(928)

2021-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules