1532 8 2021-3-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gusman2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 300262 ft
Netherlands

Hi all,

Since the new version of the DJI Fly app (1.3.0) has been relased, I was wondering if this new version will also become available at Google play and the Samsung app store apart from downloading it only from the DJI website? The reason for my request has to do with the fact I have an Android smartphone which is managed by my company providing app updates outside Google Play and the Samsung app store.

Currently Google play offers the DJI Fly 1.2.1 version and the Samsung App Store offers the DJI Fly 1.2.4 version and I am unable to update to DJI Fly 1.3.0....

Thank you for your replies.

Gusman2
2021-3-10
Use props
Gusman2
lvl.2
Netherlands

After some extensive searching on the DJI forum I have learned that DJI - for an unknown reason - currently do not deliver any Android based DJI Fly updates at the Google Play and/or Samsung App stores contrary to the Apple store where the DJI Fly updates are still maintained. So, if your Android device is managed remotely by you company, you are "stuck" with the old Android DJI Fly apps unfortunately. I'll hope DJI will continue delivering (at least) their Android based DJI Fly updates via the regular "channels" like the Google Play and/or Samsung App stores to overcome this issue/situation with the remotely managed Android devices.

Fingers crossed......

Gusman
2021-3-11
Use props
Pappy3
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

Gusman2 wrote - " I'll hope DJI will continue delivering (at least) their Android based DJI Fly updates via the regular "channels" like the Google Play and/or Samsung App stores to overcome this issue/situation with the remotely managed Android devices."

Not likely since android based Fly versions on and after version 1.2.4 now includes code to check for Fly updates and to do in-app update installs.
2021-3-11
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Gusman2. Thanks for reaching out and posting your concern. The DJI app you are using cannot be updated via Google Play due to technical reasons. In order to ensure that the app can be used normally, we have opened a download channel on DJI's official website. You can visit our website at www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp to download and install the latest APK file to update the app. There is no need to be concerned, as user experience, functions, and privacy protections on apps installed through DJI's official website are still the same as before, so please feel free to use them. We also would like to remind you that you should only download apps from official channels. Thank you for your kind understanding.

DJI Fly v1.2.4 and above already supports in-app updates to allow you to download and install the latest version of DJI Fly.
2021-3-14
Use props
Gusman2
lvl.2
Netherlands

Dear DJI Gamora,

Thank you for your reply and the update.

I had found already the 1.3.0 Android update on the DJI website official download channel and how unfortunate to hear due to technical issues, it is for DJI not possible to provide the DJI Fly app updates via the regular channels.  However, the mobile phone IT policy of my employer does not allow direct installing from the DJI website official download channel or any other direct update channel. Only Google Play and Samsung app store are the (only) channels for application updates.

Is it to be expected that DJI will provide in the near future - as soon as the technical issue(s) have been solved - DJI Fly updates via the Google Play and Samsung app store as the (only) channels for application updates next to a direct app software update from the DJI channel?

Thank you for the update.

Gusman
2021-3-15
Use props
Fly_Hazr_Air
lvl.4
Flight distance : 56588 ft
United States

Gusman2 Posted at 3-15 11:23
Dear DJI Gamora,

I have a company phone that runs Android Enterprise OS.  It is painful as you say, however I have been using an older phone that no longer has mobile service, but still connects to WiFi.  With my new Android Enterprise company phone I have the ability to create a WiFi HotSpot, which I use with the older no-service phone to be able to have maps appear.  I did a factory reset on the older phone to remove any old company stuff remaining on the old phone.  I can download any apps needed now without issue.  The new phone is only used as the hotspot, and at least my company's policies haven't prevented the older phone from accessing maps or anything else the FlyApp requires.  Good luck!  
2021-3-25
Use props
lacibaci
Second Officer
Flight distance : 235682 ft
United States

I wish DJI was more transparent in what the problem is.
I don't buy the "technical reasons" excuse. How is it that they can make it for Apple app store?
Do they employ competent developers only for iOS?
2021-3-25
Use props
Gusman2
lvl.2
Netherlands

Gusman2 Posted at 3-15 11:23
Dear DJI Gamora,

Dear All,

I am happy to locate the Android 1.4.0 version of DJI Fly in the Samsung app store. This makes life easy for the managed Samsung smartphones to update the DJI Fly app. Fingers crossed the future Android versions of DJI Fly will continue to appear in the Samsung app store and also in Google play

Gusman
2021-4-18
Use props
petekaner
lvl.1
Spain

lacibaci Posted at 3-25 14:50
I wish DJI was more transparent in what the problem is.
I don't buy the "technical reasons" excuse. How is it that they can make it for Apple app store?
Do they employ competent developers only for iOS?

exactly, those techinical reason are really just "convinience". Because for google they can just upload an apk to a website and make people download it why bother publishing it on the play store. With apple thought they don't have another choice
2021-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules