is care refresh worth it for DJI FPV?
3723 3 2021-3-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
thetechnobear
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2804810 ft
Spain

k, less start out by assuming we are all flyng responsibly, and are not planning on putting our FPV is manual mode and flying it into a tree.....

but accidents do happen...

does anyone have a link to the DJI Care Refresh that is applicable to the DJI FPV ?

my understanding for the DJI FPV, its (approx) 200 euro for a year, and covers 2 replacement drone BUT you have to pay 250 euro per replacement.

lets say an DJI FPV on its own costs 700 euro.so if you crash once , its cost you 200+250 = 450 euro, so you have saved 250 euro... (700 - 450)
if you crash a second time(!) , this time you save a whopping 450 (since the 200 year cover was sunk in first crash), so 700 total saving , and entire FPV !

however, I realised its not quite a simple as this....

watching youtube videos, it seems unlikely you will completely destroy the FPV...
the most common damage seems to be loosing one arm. ( first arm takes most impact, perhaps)
so I wonder what the repair costs (at DJI ) are for one arm replacement (250 euro would seem steep!)

also... if you chose instead to buy a replacement FPV...
a new FPV comes with a new battery... so that is worth 150 euro! (also some new props), so really the FPV cost is more like 550 euro!
also, unlike sending it in... you keep the broken fpv, so perhaps if you crash again - you have some spares (you just have to hope you dont break the same arm )

of course, it might be you do much more serious damage, e.g. break a couple of arms + camera , and that 250 is going to seem very reasonable.
(I'd also like to see refresh t&c, e.g. does it cover flyaways ? ... though this seems less likely with an FPV than an mavic?)

thoughts?
did you buy it... is it worth it?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really do feel DJI need to sell more replacement parts, especially arm + motor- this lack of repairabilty has been rightly been highly critised.
I understand not everyone will be able to replace an arm, it needs the drone to be diassembled, and soldered.
BUT some of can, and also 3rd parties could do this too... allow us to get back flying quicker (than sending to DJI)

I really hope DJI re-consider this....
otherwise, perhaps a 3rd party will produce compatible arms/motors to allow this.
or perhaps some enterprising company will start buy crashed FPVs, and breaking up for spares....

DJI - do the right thing... gives us a proper spares program!

2021-3-10
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I did the same calculations! basically if you total the drone once its worth it. If you total it twice, then the cost of the Refresh + 2 x replacments then you have spent the cost of a single drone, which you can buy from DJI. It is possible to just buy the body, with no battery or props.

I decided to pay for the refresh as it does take away the need to pay the full replacement cost of a single drone in one hit.

Looking at the drone its self I would be surprised if DJI sell the arms as spares. The screws have the DJI 'anti tamper wax' in them as does the lower sensor housing which blocks access to the securing screws.

If the arms are like the other DJI drones then the motors will be soldered to the ESC board making self repair less of a DIY job unless you're proficient with a soldering iron.
2021-3-10
Use props
djiuser_ZwL1CxdyTp2z
lvl.2
France

Buzzyone Posted at 3-10 12:20
I did the same calculations! basically if you total the drone once its worth it. If you total it twice, then the cost of the Refresh + 2 x replacments then you have spent the cost of a single drone, which you can buy from DJI. It is possible to just buy the body, with no battery or props.

I decided to pay for the refresh as it does take away the need to pay the full replacement cost of a single drone in one hit.

You failed to take the battery, charger and controller prices off the replacement value (you can resell them) :
Price of the drone = 1350-650-150-150-40= 210 Euros
Cost of the  crash with insurance : 170 +250= 420 Euros

Conclusion : unless Dji removes the 250 Euros deductible, not worth it, especially since you ll get a refurbished one.

2021-3-10
Use props
thetechnobear
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2804810 ft
Spain

djiuser_ZwL1CxdyTp2z Posted at 3-10 13:20
You failed to take the battery, charger and controller prices off the replacement value (you can resell them) :
Price of the drone = 1350-650-150-150-40= 210 Euros
Cost of the  crash with insurance : 170 +250= 420 Euros

reselling all the parts of the combo kit might be more difficult ...
the googles might sell, but the controller is (currently) no use without an fpv drone

but you can buy a drone on its on for ~700 euro, sell the battery and you are at 550 euro.
so... sell parts from your crashed drone for even a small amount, and you are break even.

as for diy repair, yeah ive seen the break down video - it looks very 'doable' , its only 3 solder points on the ESC - very easy. something that if the owner is not confident with, they could likely find a 3rd party to do.

the issue here, is not only the monetary side, but having to return to DJI to repair.

note: Im not against, DJI Care at all... I happily bought it for my Mavic Air, but that was 99 euro, covered flyaways, and had no excess on it. (I didn't claim on it, but hey thats whats insurance is for   ) - it was worth the piece of mind ...

I agree, if I had to go this route after a crash, Id be sad...  but in this case, a 200 euro insurance is also pretty expensive IF there is a viable alternative, which there appears to be.
(of course, Im planning on being pretty careful when flying... so hope a crash is unlikely)
2021-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules