Unboxing - AC charger set on fire !!
381 3 2021-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Svaftsploos
lvl.1
United Kingdom

When unboxing the Combo kit and plugging in the controller using the USB-C OTG cable supplied, there was a flash and puff of smoke after 4 minutes.  Seems like a short circuit.  I was luckily standing right beside the unit when it happened and managed to kill the power immediately.  Currently trying to get a replacement from DJI but it's a very long winded approach.  So, I'm sitting on a £1600 package with no ability to fly as I can't charge the goggles battery in order to activate the system and update the firmware.  Very frustrating.  Be careful when using the AC charger - I advise you watch it carefully and don't leave it unattended, at least for the first full charging cycle (My problem was only with the USB C charging ports, not the 2 pronged intelligent battery charging part.
2021-3-12
Use props
tomekyo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3226991 ft
Netherlands

it is really annoying for you but why would you use the OTG to charge anything? The OTG is ment to connect your phone to the goggles and for charging ...
2021-3-12
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

When you say you used the OTG cable, are you sure? It can't be plugged into the charge brick as it has a female USB-A socket & the charge brick does not have a USB-C connection on it.
2021-3-12
Use props
Svaftsploos
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Buzzyone Posted at 3-12 13:36
When you say you used the OTG cable, are you sure? It can't be plugged into the charge brick as it has a female USB-A socket & the charge brick does not have a USB-C connection on it.

No, you're right. My mistake. I used the supplied cable to connect the charging brick to the USB-C port on the controller. I guess the OTG cable is the short cable that is used to connect to my smartphone (I didn't get that far).  Everything was going smoothly and the green charging lights flashing as you would expect until, after about 4 minutes, a puff of smoke, a small flame and crackling from the USB connection in the charging brick.  Now the charging brick only works for the main battery (different hardwired cable).  The two USB terminals must have been damaged by the heat/flame and are now dead. It's ok though, as I guess I can use my standard Apple charger for my iPhone to charge the controller and goggles battery.  I thought I would have to use a DJI product for this previously, so hopefully I can fly the FPV tomorrow now.  I still think there was a fault with either the brick or the supplied cable though.
2021-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules