VPS Issues/Crash Indoors
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
korling
lvl.1
United States

Well, I tried out the Phantom 3's VPS inside a large room in my friend's house. After takeoff, it immediately started drifting both sideways and upwards and could not maintain a stable position. While trying to compensate, it drifted into a wall at about 8 feet high, broke a prop, came down onto wood flooring and the camera broke off. I've learned my lesson and I've decided to avoid flying indoors. As soon as I noticed that the VPS was not keeping it stable, I should've landed. There is a crack around the battery chamber and the case around one of the arms buckled a little.  I was flying over dark wood flooring. I have not tried flying it afterwards, but it looks like it would fly after replacing the props. Do you think I have a chance of making a warranty claim? If not, is there anyone that is doing P3 camera/gimbal repairs yet or should I just send it to DJI for evaluation and service and have them replace the case also? Any advice is helpful. Thanks and hope none of you experience the same.
2015-7-13
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

If you do a little looking around, you'll find there have been some VPS issues reported after installation of a new firmware package.

Contact DJI-Autumn or Tahoe_Ed to see where you have to send your files to review. I suspect that they may do something for you.
2015-7-13
Use props
Superfantastic
Second Officer
Flight distance : 396398 ft
United Kingdom

if you are on the latest fw then you will get the problem you talk about and dji says to disable vps until fix is out so you could be ok !
2015-7-13
Use props
korling
lvl.1
United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-7-13 23:37
If you do a little looking around, you'll find there have been some VPS issues reported after instal ...

Thanks, I was on the latest firmware
2015-7-14
Use props
korling
lvl.1
United States

Superfantastic Posted at 2015-7-14 01:34
if you are on the latest fw then you will get the problem you talk about and dji says to disable vps ...

We'll see. There actually is no crack around the battery compartment. Just the way that the shell is put together. It looks like the case will pop back into place after loosening a screw or two. Neither the gimbal nor the camera look significantly damaged except the torn ribbon cable and it's missing the spindle that held the camera onto the gimbal.
2015-7-14
Use props
remi1984
New
Flight distance : 3047946 ft
Germany

Hi Korling

I had the same experience flying indoor on the last fw. The copter did not keep stable and bumped against the wall many times before it flipped upside down. I had the propeller protections mounted, nevertheless 2 props destroyed. I was flying above a clear wooding floor. Hope the fix will come out soon!
I only fly outdoor since then..
2015-7-25
Use props
remi1984
New
Flight distance : 3047946 ft
Germany

6#
Hi Korling

I had the same experience flying indoor on the last fw. The copter did not keep stable and bumped against the wall many times before it flipped upside down. I had the propeller protections mounted, nevertheless 2 props destroyed. I was flying above a clear wooding floor. Hope the fix will come out soon!
I only fly outdoor since then.
2015-7-25
Use props
Lyle
lvl.1

United States

I tried today (7-30-2015) to fly inside our office building which has some roomy areas. First in a large room with carpet which didn't have much of a pattern on it. Fail. I had to manually control it which was a bit nerve wracking. Understanding the Phantom 3 uses sonar and a camera to stabilize it, I was not surprised it did not work in that environment. There was not much of a pattern to detect and the carpet may have absorbed the sound waves of the sonar. I moved to a room where the carpet had been removed. It was a concrete floor with lots of glue patterns left on it. Fail again. Even after throwing some things on the floor it never did lock on and I had to control it manually. I was flying in P mode and the settings were set to allow VPS.
Since I began typing this on another discussion thread,  I've found this thread claiming a Firmware issue. I updated the firmware last week, so hopefully the next release will correct the issues.
Otherwise, I love the P3 and everyone is impressed with the videos.
2015-7-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules