Filmmaker request: 24 FPS
5890 25 2021-3-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
menithings
lvl.1
United States

I'm a filmmaker that's currently in post on my feature film and just got the DJI FPV to capture plates for a few VFX shots. Now I know there are other DJI drones with cameras better suited for film work, but I specifically bought the DJI because I need camera moves only achievable with an FPV. I know the camera isn't HDR, but I can work around that. However the fact that it can't record 24 fps is puzzling and frustrating, especially since the camera is apparently similar to the one used in the mini, which can do 4K 24fps.

As a workaround, I'm recording at 4K 50fps and then bringing the footage into After Effects as a 25 FPS timeline to strip out every second frame. Then I spit our a 25 fps image sequence that I use in my 24 fps VFX compsits - and then deal with the 1 frame per second time lag.

So a 24p option would be a huge benefit for me. I assume 4K footage would also take up less space and maybe even have less compression artifacts. Wonder if this is possible with a firmware update.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Meni
2021-3-16
Use props
Tom_A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

I do recordings on a GoPro mounted to the top of a drone and sometimes set the frame rate to 60. I put the clips in a 24fps timeline and then set the speed of clips to 40%, 80%, or 120% depending on how fast I want that particular clip to play. Those percentages seem to play the smoothest. 80% works well for most of the clips especially if you flew pretty fast and want things to be a little slower and smoother.
2021-3-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there menithings. Good day and thank you for posting your valued insight here at DJI Forum. I will forward these information and this thread to the designated DJI department for further attention. All significant suggestions or requests will be implemented after the evaluation of the DJI Engineers. For the latest DJI updates please stay tuned to our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your valued support and fly safe always.
2021-3-16
Use props
menithings
lvl.1
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-16 19:59
Hello there menithings. Good day and thank you for posting your valued insight here at DJI Forum. I will forward these information and this thread to the designated DJI department for further attention. All significant suggestions or requests will be implemented after the evaluation of the DJI Engineers. For the latest DJI updates please stay tuned to our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your valued support and fly safe always.

Thanks for the reply Stephen.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. I'm in active post-production on a theatrical feature film, so am very interested in any possible developments regarding this request.

Cheers,

Meni
2021-3-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

+1 great idea.   
2021-3-17
Use props
Matt89
lvl.2

France

I concur. More FPS options would be more than welcome, 24 FPS, 30FPS. I'm a filmmaker as well and I miss 24FPS so much. Thanks DJI!
2021-3-28
Use props
Arminius
lvl.2
Flight distance : 466752 ft
Chile

not only 24 FPS, 30FPS etc. , also a minimal zoom so that the propellers cannot be seen. I'm sure that would be absolutely no problem with an upgrade
2021-3-28
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

Arminius Posted at 3-28 10:51
not only 24 FPS, 30FPS etc. , also a minimal zoom so that the propellers cannot be seen. I'm sure that would be absolutely no problem with an upgrade

"also a minimal zoom so that the propellers cannot be seen"
There's an option to "Zoom In".
It's in the menu Setting\Display\Zoom In/Out. It can be set in 10% increments from 100% to 50%.
2021-3-28
Use props
Arminius
lvl.2
Chile

That is the size of the display inside the Goggles, I mean a camera zoom of xyz% until you can not see the propeller
2021-3-28
Use props
Winkle
lvl.2
Canada

Arminius Posted at 3-28 17:26
That is the size of the display inside the Goggles, I mean a camera zoom of xyz% until you can not see the propeller

Set crop to 4:3, should cut out the props.
2021-3-28
Use props
dronie1965
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Arminius Posted at 3-28 17:26
Hmmm, there is a setting in camera were you can enable distortion correction for drone and goggles in order to see no props.
You can enable this for both or only goggles or drone.
My setting is for goggles to see props and for drone not to see props so on my recorded footage you do not see props. No need for cropping in post
2021-3-28
Use props
Arminius
lvl.2
Chile

dronie1965 Posted at 3-28 20:49
Hmmm, there is a setting in camera were you can enable distortion correction for drone and goggles in order to see no props.
You can enable this for both or only goggles or drone.
My setting is for goggles to see props and for drone not to see props so on my recorded footage you do not see props. No need for cropping in post

have not tested it yet,... distortion correction i try it next flight
2021-3-29
Use props
FrootWhoopz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 253832 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tom_A Posted at 3-16 19:48
I do recordings on a GoPro mounted to the top of a drone and sometimes set the frame rate to 60. I put the clips in a 24fps timeline and then set the speed of clips to 40%, 80%, or 120% depending on how fast I want that particular clip to play. Those percentages seem to play the smoothest. 80% works well for most of the clips especially if you flew pretty fast and want things to be a little slower and smoother.

How does it fly with a GoPro mounted on there, does it handle well?
2021-3-29
Use props
Tom_A
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

FrootWhoopz Posted at 3-29 07:55
How does it fly with a GoPro mounted on there, does it handle well?

The drones I am mounting GoPros to the top of are FPV racing drones. I have not flown the DJI FPV drone, but from what I have heard, a racing drone with a GoPro on top (even a Hero 9) still flies more nimbly than the DJI FPV drone. Racing drones save a bunch of weight by not having the crash avoidance sensors and by having the electronics exposed in a way where you don't need to have fans. If you want to see how well a drone can handle with a GoPro on top, here's my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn_K2PAOpzO55Gfltfo2HEg

Most of the latest videos were made using a Hero 9, except one where I used a 4" quad and just used the goggle recording from a Vista. Working now on getting an Insta360 Go 2 set up right for the smaller ones.
2021-3-29
Use props
Formula E
lvl.2
Flight distance : 283510 ft
United States

I use drones for similar filmmaking reasons. I've been testing out the FPV drone slowly.. Yesterday had my first color profile/manual settings test and was shocked not to find a 24/30 FPS option.. I just assumed it would haha. Thanks for posting your workaround though it's what I googled hoping to find. My first thought was maybe frame/stabilization might be awful/unusable with 24fp so it's not included? Dunno but hoping we get saved by the mothership.

DJI LETS GOOOO!
2021-3-30
Use props
menithings
lvl.1
United States

Formula E Posted at 3-30 16:26
I use drones for similar filmmaking reasons. I've been testing out the FPV drone slowly.. Yesterday had my first color profile/manual settings test and was shocked not to find a 24/30 FPS option.. I just assumed it would haha. Thanks for posting your workaround though it's what I googled hoping to find. My first thought was maybe frame/stabilization might be awful/unusable with 24fp so it's not included? Dunno but hoping we get saved by the mothership.

DJI LETS GOOOO!

As part of my 50 FPS to 24 FPS workaround, I'm using ND filters and a very slow the shutter speed. It's a bit too blurry when viewed at 50 FPS, but fine when I strip out every second frame and play back at 24 FPS.
2021-3-30
Use props
Tom_A
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Formula E Posted at 3-30 16:26

DJI LETS GOOOO!

You would think that since their other drones support 24/30fps. Matching 60fps so you don't get odd frame jumps gives you either a little bit slower or a little bit faster footage. You can experiment with that to see what looks better. You might be able to find a place to mount an Insta360 Go 2 somewhere as well. Eventually you are going to want to get a racing/freestyle drone so you can get different results.
2021-3-30
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

nicely done thanks again for sharing!
2021-4-1
Use props
Cliffcurtis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1361175 ft
  • >>>
United States

GoPro flies great, and adds 24fps with Reelsteady. DJI, please provide better stabilization and 24fps so we aren't all forced to void our warranties
IMG_20210411_090417_099.jpg
IMG_20210411_090417_126.jpg
2021-4-27
Use props
trica de
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1062090 ft
  • >>>
Germany

+1 for 24 fps!
2021-4-27
Use props
Skiddadale
lvl.1
Flight distance : 395912 ft
United Kingdom

Hi there, do you do colour grading with after effects with footage from the fpv?
2021-4-29
Use props
djiuser_1E8EfFFcoWDn
New

United Kingdom

Arminius Posted at 3-28 10:51
not only 24 FPS, 30FPS etc. , also a minimal zoom so that the propellers cannot be seen. I'm sure that would be absolutely no problem with an upgrade

go into advanced camera settings and turn on 'EIS' and that gets rid of the propellers in shot.
2021-5-29
Use props
Enarkai
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6247 ft
United Kingdom

It has been confirmed by a colleague of DJI on the Potato Jet interview for the FPV, that there will be a cinematic mode 24FPS 1/48 coming soon, but how soon I do not know, but I am too a film maker, so I can not wait for this firmware to be out
2021-6-1
Use props
menithings
lvl.1
United States

Enarkai Posted at 6-1 07:50
It has been confirmed by a colleague of DJI on the Potato Jet interview for the FPV, that there will be a cinematic mode 24FPS 1/48 coming soon, but how soon I do not know, but I am too a film maker, so I can not wait for this firmware to be out
Unfortunately for me I’ve run out of time waiting and need to shoot late this week. So I have no choice but to record at 50 FPS and strip out every other frame in After Effects. A shame it’s taking so long as I was hoping a slower frame rate would result in higher quality individual frames.
2021-6-1
Use props
cneedelman.1
lvl.1

United States

Same here, hoping for a 24FPS option on the new Avata. Waiting for that before I purchase.
2022-9-5
Use props
fans735e4bb8
New

United States

THIS!! Why aren’t more filmmakers who bought the DJI FPV talking about this?!?!  I bought the first DJI FPV, and of all the cool tech and performance… the biggest disappointment was the POOR VIDEO QUALITY!  I used it on one job, and they didn’t even use the footage because it was shot in 60fps, and before anyone starts crying that you can convert 60fps to 24fps in post, wake up this is the real world, what editor is gonna spend time busting up crappy 60fps video, GET IT RIGHT IN CAMERA!
There is a reason why so many FPV pilots have a GoPro mounted on their drone.. because it’s QUALITY VIDEO, capable of 24fps for a cinematic look.
It blows my mind, how DJI couldn’t implement the same camera tech from a little Mavic into their FPV, and now AVATA is the same garbage!  Happily sold my FPV, I mean come on, who gives a fk about the performance, if we’re only gonna walk away with a crappy video of the experience. BOOOOOOOOOO DO BETTER DJI!
2022-9-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules