Mini-2 with DJI Goggles
9076 20 2021-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rgp1942
lvl.3
United States

Please remind us one more time just why it is the Mini-2 is not compatible with the DJI Goggles (V1 or V2/RE).  Is it a hardware issue, a firmware issue, or is it just a software app issue (or maybe an on-purpose marketing issue)?  If an app issue, might somebody like Litchi be able to implement a work-around?  Thanks!

2021-3-18
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I reckon it's a marketing ploy, or maybe just like the Air 2 won't work with the googles, the common denominator is the Mini 2 and Air 2 use the Fly app, the M2P uses the Go4 app.

Marketing ploy, no active track either, Litchi has managed an Active track for Mini 1.

Just my opinion.
2021-3-18
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

it's not a marketing ploy.  
2021-3-18
Use props
rgp1942
lvl.3
United States

The Saint Posted at 3-18 13:58
it's not a marketing ploy.

Thanks for eliminating one of the 4 possibilities.
2021-3-18
Use props
js349
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3671 ft
United States

There is a way to make it work. Look for Ken Heron's video on YouTube.
2021-3-20
Use props
rgp1942
lvl.3
United States

I've tried that dongle method.  It didn't work for me at all.  1. It's very cumbersome to use (error prone); 2. there's wires all over the place; 3. the latency is really really bad.  I used the latest and greatest in hardware.  I've written this jury-rig off as a very impractical solution.  Can it be done? Yes.  Would you want to fly FPV this way?  No.  Whereas the DJI Goggles are not only a way more streamlined and practical solution and have great image quality, they allow you to do app controls while having the headset on (well at least on the Spark that's how it works).
But thanks for trying!  
2021-3-20
Use props
rgp1942
lvl.3
United States

DJI -- why the silence on this issue?  

You would sell as many headsets as there are Mini's!
2021-3-24
Use props
TP-FPV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1146821 ft
United States

rgp1942 Posted at 3-24 10:28
DJI -- why the silence on this issue?  

You would sell as many headsets as there are Mini's!

That don't sell more Smart Controllers either.
They don't really care about the customer after the sale.
Kind of the walled garden mentality like Apple.

2021-3-24
Use props
jweaver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47664 ft
United Kingdom

I really hope DJI have a plan for Goggles that support the Mini2.. I would buy them for sure.. I have Fatshark goggles for my plains and quads which are fine.. But the video quality isn't up to much as its "analogue" and low resolution

I would buy the DJI goggles for sure if they supported the Mini2.
2021-3-25
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

if you go to the dji page https://www.dji.com/dji-goggles
it says "The DJI Goggles is no longer in production. For the latest in DJI technology, please view our product recommendations below."

doesn't mean they no longer support the product but it likely means there is no new additional product for dji to sell.
2021-3-25
Use props
jweaver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47664 ft
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 3-25 07:21
if you go to the dji page https://www.dji.com/dji-goggles
it says "The DJI Goggles is no longer in production. For the latest in DJI technology, please view our product recommendations below."

I did wonder if that was the case.. After I read this thread last night I wondered what the Goggles looked like.. But every links to them in the UK said "unavailable".

So I don't know whether they have discontinued them (perhaps to push the new FPV model).. Or whether they have a new version of the goggles coming.

Its a shame they don't have a Goggle option, as flying FPV is a real joy, even on a slow sedate model like the Mini2. There are some people who do not want to invest in the FPV model, but would still like to fly FPV.
2021-3-25
Use props
rgp1942
lvl.3
United States

Let's all hope that DJI comes out with a "mini" version of the battleship they call "FPV Drone".
2021-3-25
Use props
DonGuido
lvl.3
Flight distance : 532028 ft
United Kingdom

I think they are planning to release a "version 2" of smart controller and gogglesEdit, I mean, Goggles V2 is already out, so I meant they are planning on Smart controller 2.

Also don't think they will ever make it compatible with goggles, but I hope for SC at least.
2021-3-26
Use props
BatUtilityBelt
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for this thread.

So Ken Heron's patch cable gamble aside...  Does anyone have a reliable way to link a Mini 2 to goggles?

Just about anything would be better than trying to read my phone's screen in broad daylight!.
2021-3-28
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Russia

I also don't understand why DJI just can't write why they are not compatible!

Although I can guess why the Mini-2 does not work with DJI Goggles - due to the lack of multiple communication channels in the Mini-2...
2021-3-28
Use props
rgp1942
lvl.3
United States

BatUtilityBelt Posted at 3-28 18:48 Does anyone have a reliable way to link a Mini 2 to goggles?
There are about a dozen permutations of jury-rigs to be able to dummy up FPV with a Mini, including dongle mirroring, direct cable to phone, tablets with HDMI out, use an analog AIO VTX, etc.   All of these have downsides that make them an impractical solution in one way or another (I won't go into them).  (BTW - the mirroring dongle does not really "belong" to Heron.  I was doing that with a Tello long before he posted his video, and I learned it from YouTube.).  The other issue related to doing FPV with a Mini is the FOV -- it is too narrow for flying FPV well.  See this thread: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=236004.

In the meantime, after about 100 man hours trying to find a Mini<>FPV solution, I have given up and purchased the best Mini clone available -- the HolyStone HS510.  The FPV signal and the controller are independent of each other (can use either/both).  This allows me to use my Samsung "Gear VR" headset with my Samsung S7 phone.  The Gear VR has a remote control that allows one to "point and click" inside the HMD without removing it (which usually isn't necessary).  So I am getting "HD" FPV in a relatively KISS way.  The downside is that it is a WIFI video signal (ala Mini-1).  However the HS510 has amazing FPV range as witnessed by a plethora of tests on YT.  Way more than I'll ever need.  By adding DJI Mini prop guards to the HS510 I have finally "dummied up" the altitude/position hold Cinewhoop that I've been searching for for over a year.  The fact that the HS510 does not have a camera gimble is not a problem from my perspective -- I would have used the Mini in "fixed wing" mode anyway.
2021-3-29
Use props
rgp1942
lvl.3
United States

P.S. I discovered an even a better way regarding the goggles.  I wear glasses (near sighted) so the Gear VR glasses are not in good focus for me with or without glasses on.  Low and behold, my FXT Viper goggles work perfect.  They are designed so that the focal point is about 2 feet away.  Remove the 4" FXT monitor and put in the S7 phone and I get a perfectly clear image from the HS510 without eye strain / cross-eyedness!  The HS510 transmits a 720p FPV signal (regular HD), so it looks nice and sharp on the 2560x1440 screen.  A strip of black vinyl tape along the top seals out the light (phone not as tall as original VRX analog 5.8ghz monitor).
2021-3-30
Use props
djiuser_3eLGSjqN7aV2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 430486 ft
Netherlands

Okey this freaking issue regarding the use of goggles is just annoying like no tomorrow.
Same way accounts for usb-c hdmi support that would enable video input.

Altough im not sure but it seems that the frequency range
off the v2 Goggles are set in between a certain number.
That only correspond to the video broadcast from the air2 or the camera unit...!
Only when the reciever is fitted with the correct hardware to support channel bandwidth outside the set range.
Would provide the possibility to modify it to work with other another dji drone using occusync...!

Still, only then meaning you need to flash hardware chips rewrite firmware and create some new software interface.

Most obvious reasons not adding other frequenties are most likely that the video transmissie becomes unstable and have more interferance. Because the limitation of combined hardware compatibility in freq applicaties alike.
2022-9-24
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

One solution is to find a tablet that has HDMI "INPUT" not just "OUTPUT", if ya do, let me know, please
2022-9-24
Use props
Khajjiar
lvl.1

India

Hi, I recently bought a mini 2 with an rc-n1 controller and i have the V1 goggles and I wanted to connect the two.
I am not too familiar with the ports on V1 yet. I assume the type-c port on the goggles is an output port and the the only way to input video signals to the goggles is via the 3.5mm av port.
The rc-n1 outputs through a type-c port. Can't I use that and plug it into an type-c to 3.5 mm converter and plug into the goggles. is there some signal conversion needed.  
Thanks

typeC to 3.5mm

typeC to 3.5mm
2023-4-28
Use props
djiuser_FwZrltFL22mI
lvl.1
Flight distance : 322625 ft
United States

It's good that DJI always puts it's customers first.
2023-12-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules