Mixing an Osmo with other camcorders in a theatre?
555 3 2021-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
briantho
lvl.1

Switzerland

I just bought an Osmo Action and one of my main reasons is to use it in theatres and school halls for amateur shows and musicals. I'll be using it with a bunch of Panasonic X900M camcorders I've been using for years and with the 50 and 25fps options on the Osmo it should integrate nicely and give me a new dynamic angle.
Question about settings: I have all the Panasonics set in the same way so there's no colour matching required between them but would anybody have any suggestions as to what settings would be a good start for the Osmo in that sort of environment? I thought about using the 'VIDEO' setting at 2.6k and 25fps and 'Auto' or would it be better to use the 'HDR VIDEO' setting with the same Resolution and FPS? I know I'll have some colour correction to do to make the Osmo footage blend in but maybe someone has experience in using their Osmo with other cameras in this way? Thanks for any advice.
PS. I use Final Cut Pro X all the time.
2021-3-19
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

you should match to your panasonics, that you did not  tell us the settings for?
2021-3-19
Use props
briantho
lvl.1

Switzerland

Fishycomics Posted at 3-19 11:46
you should match to your panasonics, that you did not  tell us the settings for?

The Panasonics are set for 1920x1080 @ 25fps, Codecs 'avc1', Linear PCM. For White Balance I use their setting for "Incandescent light, video lights like in the studio, etc". The results seem pretty satisfactory.

I've tried a few settings on the Osmo and I think I see a slightly better image with 2.7k over the 1080p setting - but that's with my old eyes. Is 2.7k so much better that 1080p? In post, having that many more pixels to play with, I can see myself doing little zooms especially during musical numbers.

Usual output for these theatre productions is either DVDs or 720p MP4s.

Theatre productions are a long way from outdoor action sequences and that's why I'm thinking for the Osmo 25fps would be enough, but am I wrong?

With the vibrancy of the Osmo colours I think I'll be reducing the colour saturation in post. Might you or anyone else have any ideas on all of this...? Thanks!

PS. in my original message I meant 2.7k, of course.
2021-3-20
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

I thnk capturing the moment will be fine. just wanting to make sure  the settings match up,
2021-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules