Access to GPS data
10629 8 2021-4-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jmgolio
lvl.3
Flight distance : 568865 ft
United States

I have been flying my DJI Mini 2 since December 2020.  I use it to document remote archaeology sites - especially prehistoric hilltop forts and dwellings.  Sometimes I might hike and climb to as many as 6 different sites in a day.  The problem that creates is how to separate my photos and videos by site.  It would really be valuable to me if I could access the lat/lon GPS information when I download videos/photos.  Since I always launch from inside ruins, I would only need the launch point GPS information to make this very useful to me.  That information must be stored at least during flight so that the aircraft can RTH if necessary.  Does anyone know if this information is accessible and how to access it?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPNw_gqKvJOjAM5a6U48ZBQ
2021-4-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The GPS data for the whole flight is recorded in the flight data on your phone or tablet.
If you've updated the Fly app to 1.2.2 or beyond, you need to use Airdata to access it, otherwise the Phantomhelp log viewer is better.

And each photo you take has metadata inside the image file that gives the precise location of the camera when the image was taken.
Search for Exif to learn about that.
2021-4-2
Use props
jmgolio
lvl.3
United States

Labroides Posted at 4-2 15:18
The GPS data for the whole flight is recorded in the flight data on your phone or tablet.
If you've updated the Fly app to 1.2.2 or beyond, you need to use Airdata to access it, otherwise the Phantomhelp log viewer is better.

Hey, thanks for responding.  I appreciate it.  But I fear I am too much of a beginner to understand your answer.  Specifically, I am not familiar with "Airdata".  Is that a software app?  How do I get access to it?  Learn to use it?  

I also am not familiar with how to retrieve the metadata from photos and videos.  If you can offer any guidance, I would appreciate it.  But I will use what you have already given me and start trying to research Airdata and see if I can find information on photo/video gps metadata.

Again, thanks.  A little bit of help from the truly experienced pilots/photographers is definitely appreciated.
2021-4-2
Use props
jmgolio
lvl.3
United States

Labroides Posted at 4-2 15:18
The GPS data for the whole flight is recorded in the flight data on your phone or tablet.

Wow.  It took me about 10 seconds to find out about "Exif" and that will satisfy most of my needs.  So again, thanks.      I will see what I can find about Airdata now.  
2021-4-2
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Airdata.com is a web site where you can upload your log (.txt) file to produce a report with details. For most uses, it is free. You can see the takeoff and last known positions in the main display on the Details tab. For more GPS details you would have to download the CSV file on that site after uploading your log file to see the detailed GPS data (longitude and latitude at every position). View the CSV file with any text display utility, or better with Microsoft Excel ($$) or Apache OpenOffice Calc (free pc app).
2021-4-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jmgolio Posted at 4-2 17:05
Wow.  It took me about 10 seconds to find out about "Exif" and that will satisfy most of my needs.  So again, thanks.      I will see what I can find about Airdata now.

To preserve the exif data its best to copy the footage from the SD card and not sync through the fly app.
2021-4-3
Use props
jmgolio
lvl.3
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 4-2 18:22
Airdata.com is a web site where you can upload your log (.txt) file to produce a report with details. For most uses, it is free. You can see the takeoff and last known positions in the main display on the Details tab. For more GPS details you would have to download the CSV file on that site after uploading your log file to see the detailed GPS data (longitude and latitude at every position). View the CSV file with any text display utility, or better with Microsoft Excel ($$) or Apache OpenOffice Calc (free pc app).

Thanks for the information about Airdata.  I downloaded the app to my phone and looked a the web site.  It seems like it may take me a while to figure out how to use it to advantage and I am currently buried in doing my taxes.  Hopefully I will get to it soon.  I also looked at my flight log files and see that they look like gibberish when read into a text reader, so I am assuming that this is why Airdata is needed - to interpret the log into something meaningful.  

Thanks again for the help.
2021-4-4
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

jmgolio Posted at 4-4 17:36
Thanks for the information about Airdata.  I downloaded the app to my phone and looked a the web site.  It seems like it may take me a while to figure out how to use it to advantage and I am currently buried in doing my taxes.  Hopefully I will get to it soon.  I also looked at my flight log files and see that they look like gibberish when read into a text reader, so I am assuming that this is why Airdata is needed - to interpret the log into something meaningful.  

Right, labeling that file with a ".txt" extension is very misleading.
2021-4-4
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

jmgolio Posted at 4-4 17:36

If you are on a Mac image EXIF and GPS data can be exposed in various apps that come with the OS like Preview, and many commercial apps like Lightroom. GPS coords in video are exposed in SRT title files (not sure those are supported on Mini AC?) and presumably can be extracted from video metadata using a tool like exiftool, at least that's the case for Mavic video. FWIW.
2021-4-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules