[FEATURE REQUEST]
592 5 2021-4-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
samshu7
New
United States

**PLEASE ADD AN ADDITIONAL STEP FOR DISENGAGING PROPELLERS IN MANUAL MODE!**

Story time - I'm new to the forum, so I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place.

I took my brand new DJI FPV drone out for its maiden voyage this weekend after practicing for ~15 hours in the DJI VirtualFlight app + Liftoff FPV simulator. While flying, I wanted to test the emergency stop/hover feature, so I could feel comfortable using that feature if I ever needed to bail out of a maneuver. I thought that the bottom right trigger on the remote controller was the button to activate this feature as it says 'START | STOP [M]' with the [M] button pertaining to manual mode. After bringing the aircraft to a safe hover, I tapped the button once but nothing happened. Confused, I double tapped it only to be greeted with a message in the goggles saying 'Motors Stopping' or something of the like. From there, I got to watch (in first person view) as my aircraft plummeted over 100 feet back down to the earth - snapping both rear legs and dislodging the camera and wiring from its housing. Now I wait for a repair quote for an issue that I believe is hardly my fault. It is too easy to disengage the motors, even if accidentally.

There needs to be an additional step to disengage the propellers when the aircraft is in flight. Whether that comes in the form of a dialogue box that says, "do you wish to disengage the motors? - tap again to confirm -" or in the form of a countdown that says, "disengaging motors in 3...2...1...". This is an easily avoidable issue. Yes, I should have understood the flight controls in a bit more detail before flying, but I do not think it should have been as easy as it was to stop those motors, especially since the button is labeled in a way that leaves plausible room for confusion. DJI, please add this fix in a future firmware update. I am beyond devastated that my brand new $1300 drone system was flown for less than 5 minutes before becoming totaled, due to an error that is too easy to initiate, whether out of confusion or by accident.

2021-4-5
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Oh man, what a terrible accident. I'm with you regarding the labelling. BTW I don't use the stop button, instead switch to N or S mode. I wonder if - had you been cold blooded enough - another double tap would have restarted the motors to continue flying...
2021-4-5
Use props
bradbrok
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1480112 ft
United States

RTM before you fly, it's incredibly important to have this feature stay the way that it is. You need to be able disarm the motors instantly when you crash to prevent further damage. If you crash and the motors don't stop for 3 seconds you will absolutely destroy your drone.
2021-4-5
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Home built FPV can be disabled with a flick of a switch, a double press on the star/stop is already more failsafe than home built.

Adding additional delay could be dangerous to the drone and people.
2021-4-5
Use props
samshu7
New
United States

Thanks for the replies, all. I am relatively new to the world of FPV, so this is all informative.

I am not saying that there should not be a way to stop the props - I agree that there is a great need to stop the motors quickly and effectively in an emergency. However, in my personal opinion, it is much too easy to activate this feature on the DJI FPV controller by accident. The record button is directly above the prop stop button and someone could easily hit the wrong button, especially while wearing the googles. In addition, I believe that holding the sticks to opposite corners is a much more effective way to stop the motors; and it is already built in to the software.

I don't know what the proper solution is, I am just offering solutions based on my personal experiences with the product and am trying to help out others who may make the same mistake.
2021-4-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there samshu7. I am sorry to know what happened to your DJI FPV and it is good to know that you have already contacted DJI Support for us to be able to assist you further. In addition I will forward these information  to the designated DJI department for further assistance. Again, I am sorry for the trouble and thank you.
2021-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules