DJI FPV and the Second Pilot (According to EU Regulations)
553 5 2021-4-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aiyael
lvl.1

France

Hi all,

According to EU regulations of immersive flight, you need to have a second pilot with a second remote controller on your side who can keep their eyes on the drone.

As far as I can see there's no way to connect a second controller on DJI FPV (unlike some other models). Even if the motion controller could be connected as a second controller with all functionality except the break button disabled, it'd be enough to fulfill this requirement.

Are there any plans from DJI to include this feature in a future firmware update? It seems to me as it stands it's illegal to fly with it in Europe.

What about you? How are you getting around that? Are you simply staying out of sight?

Thanks!

Edit: I'm in France - I'm not sure if there's anything particularly different about this specific rule.
2021-4-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Local country rules can add to the EASA rules but usually you only require a spotter and not a second pilot.
2021-4-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Heres a link to the EASA faq - https://www.easa.europa.eu/the-a ... s-fpv-open-category - look under "Is flying with goggles (first person view) authorised in the 'open' category?"
2021-4-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Aiyael. Good day and thank you for sharing these interesting information here at DJI Forum. Great information and thank you for your support.
2021-4-7
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I'm pretty sure you're wrong there. In EU 2019/947 Appendix UAS.STS-01-040 Nr. 2 a) (my translation from German to English) it says, the pilot has to see the area around the drone.
In b) it says, the pilot can be assisted by someone else. In this case between this person and the pilot there has to be clear and effective communication.
In f) it even says the pilot is not allowed to hand the control over to another controller.

So when you wear goggles, you have to have a spotter with you who can see the drone and can talk directly to you. Nothing else.

Unless of course you have additional rules in France.
2021-4-7
Use props
Soleir
lvl.1
United States

Don't worry about the EU regulations, not even the police know them yet.

Nobody's going to arrest you for flying with goggles unless you actually murder someone with the drone.
2021-4-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules