HDMI Output Module
4428 6 2021-4-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
virtualjapan.tv
lvl.2
  • >>>
Japan

TLDR; Please make a new attachment (similar to do-it-all handle), but with HDMI out at 4k 60fps same quality as recording and USB-C for power. (bonus: 3.5mm mic input if possible)

• Useful for livestreaming at peak quality since encoding will be left up to user on PC or HDMI capable streaming device
  • Easy way for users to connect as a webcam or output feed to their TVs (no need for the one 3rd party solutions limited at 720 30p)

I'm really enjoying the recording quality of the DJI Pocket 2 in 4k 60p, and it's great to see how far it's come since the original Pocket! I was really excited to see the new live streaming feature on the pocket 2, but upon trying it out, am really disappointed with the output quality and lack of camera controls, to the point that it's basically unusable.

It's cool that the Pocket 2 can connect directly to wifi, and livestream directly from device, but I feel the on board video encoder is very poor. Not sure if this can be fixed in a future firmware update, but when selecting 1080p at 6000kbps, the output while moving looks very blocky/pixelated. This is usually an indication of low bitrate, but it is supposed to be 6000kbps. When comparing it to 1080p 30fps stream from my iphone at 6000kbps, using streaming apps like StreamLabs or Prism, the quality is certainly not the same, with the Pocket 2 being much worse. Moving down to 720p is an improvement over 1080p, but is still blocky/pixelated at 4000kbps (also worse quality compared to same settings on phone).

This being the case, why not give users to option to handle the live stream encoding themselves, and just letting the Pocket 2 do what it does best, amazing stabilized 4k 60p footage from it's unique tiny gimbal head. At home people can use the HDMI output to something like a Elgato Camlink (or any HDMI capture card), and for mobile streaming people can use something like the popular LiveU Solo or Xperia Pro. HDMI port on the new module can be fullsized HDMI if you can fit it, or even just a micro HDMI like on the Sony X3000.

The Sony X3000 has been the go to camera for many live streamers due to it's ability to simultaniously output good quality video via micro HDMI, while charging power input, with stablilization. Since Pocket 2 has a actual mini gimbal, the stabilization is a lot better with regard to horizon leveling, and I would imaginge it would be a great alternative in certain situations. Would be a great marketing oportunity to enable more live streamers to use DJI products when broadcasting to large audiences (sponsorship opportunities for advertizing the DJI brand).

Also, by offloading the work being done by the Pocket 2 on camera, hopefully this will free up resources on the device to allow the user full control of the camera settings, just like we have for recording video (eg. framerate, exposure settings, color profile).

Hopefully this request gets to the DJI team, and excited to hear your feedback! I use many different DJI devices, and am always excited to seeing your new advancements!
2021-4-12
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there virtualjapan.tv. Thank you for sharing your valued insight with us with regards to this matter and for your positive feedback for the DJI Pocket 2.  I will forward these information and this thread to the designated DJI department for further attention. All significant suggestions or requests will be implemented after the evaluation of the DJI Engineers. For the latest DJI Pocket 2 and DJI updates please stay tuned to our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you.

2021-4-12
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

+1 for the idea. Would greatly extend the usability of Pocket 2.
2021-4-13
Use props
virtualjapan.tv
lvl.2
  • >>>
Japan

DJI Stephen Posted at 4-12 20:52
Hello there virtualjapan.tv. Thank you for sharing your valued insight with us with regards to this matter and for your positive feedback for the DJI Pocket 2.  I will forward these information and this thread to the designated DJI department for further attention. All significant suggestions or requests will be implemented after the evaluation of the DJI Engineers. For the latest DJI Pocket 2 and DJI updates please stay tuned to our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you.

Hi Stephen,

Just wanted to follow up on this to see if the team was able to make any progress on this, or had any feedback. I would really like to use the Pocket 2 to its full potential for live streaming and generally displaying the 4k 60fps output on external display.
In its current state, the live streaming feature on the Pocket 2 has such poor quality on its own that it's unusable. At this point, it's really more just a gimmick than a feature, so would love to get this HDMI output module so that it can actually be used for the purpose.

Seems that others were asking for UVC output module here https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;page=1#pid2409684, so there is for sure a demand for this type of module. But I'd prefer micro HDMI.
2021-5-31
Use props
virtualjapan.tv
lvl.2
  • >>>
Japan

Just saw the announcement of the soon to be release Feiyu Pocket 2S, which has a micro HDMI out port, and was wondering if there has been any progress made on the DJI side to create the HDMI out module?
https://www.indiegogo.com/projec ... camera/x/27405443#/

Based on the sample footage that I've seen of the Feiyu Pocket 2, I'd have to say that I'd much rather use the DJI Pocket 2 with this new HDMI adaptor if it was released
2021-8-18
Use props
DrTharp
New

United States

Excellent suggestions.  Please implement DJI!
2021-8-23
Use props
StefanDjiMini2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2004350 ft
Germany

DJI Stephen Posted at 2021-4-12 20:52

So, what did the team say?
2023-2-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules