Gimbal overload
3325 14 2021-4-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
praztek
lvl.2
United States

Been enjoying the new DJI FPV and super excited when the freewell nd filters arrived.

Installed the ND16, adjusted camera settings and I'm off.
Manual mode no issues have it set to +20 degrees. Switched to normal mode to land and getting a gimbal overload message in the goggles.

I shut it down, tried to do a calibration with the filter installed , it stayed at 60% in the dowward position and never completed. I had to hit the back button twice, took off the filter and completed the calibration.

Turned it back on , waited for camera to stop center, installed the filter and still the same overload error.

I do notice that upon turning it on, the camera cycles and it make direction contact in the furthest downward and upward movement.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2021-4-13
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
United States

No recommendations other than I think they are too heavy for the gimbal when flying with any sort of speed. the camera gimbal cannot be calibrated with the Nd filter attached it cannot make its full movement.
You have to install the filter after powering up the drone.
2021-4-13
Use props
praztek
lvl.2
United States

Visual Air Posted at 4-13 15:50
No recommendations other than I think they are too heavy for the gimbal when flying with any sort of speed. the camera gimbal cannot be calibrated with the Nd filter attached it cannot make its full movement.

Thanks, I've also tried installing it after power up, still the same error. Bummer.
2021-4-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there praztek. I am sorry to read and to know that you are having this issue and thank you for reaching out. Since this is a 3rd party accessory for the DJI FPV. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI co pilots who have used / purchased the said  ND Filters for the said DJI Drone. Just a reminder that DJI does not recommend for you to use 3rd party accessory like ND Filters on your DJI FPV. There is a possibility that these 3rd party accessories will be able work properly. However, since it's not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the safety of the said 3rd party accessories if it will work all the time with no issues and might void the warranty of the said DJI product. Thank you and have a safe flight always.
2021-4-13
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Visual Air Posted at 4-13 15:50

Exactly.
2021-4-13
Use props
Whoreable
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1775299 ft
United States

I have the Freewell set and got the same error but only once. I dont move the gimbal too much in M mode If I do im usually hovering or almost still. Just remove the filter and do a calibration, it should clear and then reinstall.
2021-4-14
Use props
Buster1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 677028 ft
United States

Thanks for the report. I had no idea this was happening.
2021-4-14
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

praztek Posted at 4-13 16:43
Thanks, I've also tried installing it after power up, still the same error. Bummer.

"still the same error"

What about removing some of the mounting material? Could you drill lightening holes through the sides?

This sounds like a bod idea when dealing with camera optics but I think I'd try it myself if I were having this problem.

I hope you update us if you figure out a solution. Good luck.
2021-4-14
Use props
praztek
lvl.2
United States

I got nine flights in over the last couple days and only received the warning once few seconds after putting on the filter.  It went away and never came back after additional flight and filter changes.
2021-4-18
Use props
JakeAllen517
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3825899 ft
  • >>>
United States

I noticed while using ND filters at speeds of 60 miles an hour and up I started to get micro jitters and shakes I'm my footage. I'm definitely not going to use anymore ND filters. I don't think the gimbal is strong enough.
2021-8-24
Use props
coyotejuice
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8235935 ft
United States

The gimbals are just  on the edge of being strong enough to use ND Filters.  Some work some don't.... possibly caused by slight variances in impendence in the gimbal motor or slight variances in lens weight.  Just my observation and mildly educated guess as to the cause.  Some gimbals just seem to be a tiny bit on the weak side and throw errors.
2021-8-25
Use props
praztek
lvl.2
United States

I have had many additional flights since my first report of this issue and have not seen this error  come back while using ND filters(freewheel)
2021-8-25
Use props
JakeAllen517
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3825899 ft
  • >>>
United States

Whenever I use an ND filter my footage comes out unusable due to micro jitters and shaking. This is a shame. I am considering selling this drone at this point.

https://youtu.be/VMQxLUdc850.  
2021-8-25
Use props
Unused
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6336594 ft
  • >>>
United States

Your going to get the same error with any filter I tried them all. I ended cutting the front housing that the filter was bumping against and now gimbal calibrate perfect with filter attached.  The free well has no rubber to hold the filter in place so over time it will loosen and shtf will happen
2021-8-26
Use props
Unused
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6336594 ft
  • >>>
United States

Crashed a few so I have spare parts helps  lol
2021-8-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now