Why Osmo Action does not offer Super Slow Motion?
2067 21 2021-4-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RGDI
lvl.1

Mexico

I have a Sony Xperia XZ1 that has Super Slow Motion video, that records at 960 FPS, it only records 2 seconds, but is enough to record super fast events like Bow or Slingshot shooting. My question is, why the Osmo Action ( Or any action camera ) only records at 240 FPS?
I mean, there are a lot of sports or extreme activities that could use super slow motion, so, why is not an option in any action cam?

Cheers!

Slingshot shooting in super Slow motion
2021-4-20
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there RGDI. Good day and thank you for posting this cool video you have filmed using your DJI Osmo Action. Great work and keep filming. .
2021-4-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very cool to see!
2021-4-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

PS, I subscribed to your channel via 2 channels .
Mine are http://www.youtube.com/c/tricksandtipsnl
http://www.youtube.com/c/PeterMontfrooij
2021-4-21
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very cool video.     Love the super slow motion.
2021-4-21
Use props
RGDI
lvl.1

Mexico

DJI Stephen Posted at 4-20 20:27
Hello there RGDI. Good day and thank you for posting this cool video you have filmed using your DJI Osmo Action. Great work and keep filming.  .

Thanks Stephen! But the video was shot with a Sony Xperia XZ1 at 960 frames per second. (I just edited the title of the post) I posted the video as an example of what I want to shoot with super slow motion.
The question in this post is, why Osmo Action (or any action cams) only record at 240? They can record 4K 60fps,  I don´t see why no action cam offers super slow motion (960 fps or more) like some Sony cameras and phones? I mean, a lot of the action you can record happens very fast, Isn't it?

Cheers!
2021-4-21
Use props
RGDI
lvl.1

Mexico

Montfrooij Posted at 4-21 01:36
PS, I subscribed to your channel via 2 channels .
Mine are http://www.youtube.com/c/tricksandtipsnl
http://www.youtube.com/c/PeterMontfrooij

Thanks Montfrooij! I just subscribed to both channels also! Cheers!
2021-4-21
Use props
RGDI
lvl.1

Mexico

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-21 05:57
Very cool video.     Love the super slow motion.

Thanks! I also love Slow Mo, but can´t afford a Phantom camera, so my options are limited to celphones, that´s why I´m asking this question, it seems odd to me that no action camera can offer more than 240 fps, I prefer the option of being able to record at 960 fps than having 4K or 5K.
2021-4-21
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Cool video.
I think the reason action cams doesn't record with more fps than 240 fps is the internal cpu-power + sensor and maybe heat.
240 fps looks terrible already if you look closely at the videos they make, so even more fps would just be really terrible.

2021-4-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

RGDI Posted at 4-21 07:11
Thanks Montfrooij! I just subscribed to both channels also! Cheers!

You're welcome and thanks a lot!
2021-4-21
Use props
RGDI
lvl.1

Mexico

johansenfoto Posted at 4-21 11:48
Cool video.
I think the reason action cams doesn't record with more fps than 240 fps is the internal cpu-power + sensor and maybe heat.
240 fps looks terrible already if you look closely at the videos they make, so even more fps would just be really terrible.

Could be, but if the CPU can handle 4K videos at 60 FPS as long as the battery can last, I think there is enough internal cpu power to do 1920 fps, limited to 5 seconds clips at 1080.
If a celphone can do it, Action cams can do it.
2021-4-21
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

RGDI Posted at 4-21 07:15
Thanks! I also love Slow Mo, but can´t afford a Phantom camera, so my options are limited to celphones, that´s why I´m asking this question, it seems odd to me that no action camera can offer more than 240 fps, I prefer the option of being able to record at 960 fps than having 4K or 5K.

You're very welcome.  
2021-4-22
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

RGDI Posted at 4-21 12:40
Could be, but if the CPU can handle 4K videos at 60 FPS as long as the battery can last, I think there is enough internal cpu power to do 1920 fps, limited to 5 seconds clips at 1080.
If a celphone can do it, Action cams can do it.

But the quality will be terrible and people would not like to have it and will be complaining about the quality.
2021-4-22
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

thanks for the share.  iguess the forum staff said  thanks for the share and that was all
2021-4-22
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

The latest stuff from qualcomm ( Spectra 580 i think the ISP is called )  support 1000 FPS, and most important it support doing that for as long as there is storage in your devise.

It is simply a matter of the hardware inside, and what you as the user are willing to pay for it, in a phone this is more easy as you get so many things in 1 devise.

I would personally love to see 1000 FPS in the action 2, that would be one of a very few things that would make me consider buying one even if i am happy with my original OA camera.
2021-4-22
Use props
RGDI
lvl.1

Mexico

johansenfoto Posted at 4-22 03:25
But the quality will be terrible and people would not like to have it and will be complaining about the quality.

I don´t think the quality of a bigguer sensor of the Osmo would be worst than the video I took with my phone (The one I shared) I´m not looking for a cerisp 4K super slow motion video, just a regular 1080 would be fine for me.

When action cams arrived, no one would imagine they would be capable or shooting 4K / 60, or have gimbal like stabilization, and here we are. They just keep getting better. I´m just asking for more FPS with decent quality.
2021-4-22
Use props
RGDI
lvl.1

Mexico

peiter Posted at 4-22 05:30
The latest stuff from qualcomm ( Spectra 580 i think the ISP is called )  support 1000 FPS, and most important it support doing that for as long as there is storage in your devise.

It is simply a matter of the hardware inside, and what you as the user are willing to pay for it, in a phone this is more easy as you get so many things in 1 devise.

I also think is a matter of hardware, and think that the hardware the OA already have, can do pretty decent super slow motion video.

The Huawei Mate 30 pro can record 960 FPS full HD, and 7680 FPS at 780. This super slow motion is for events that happens in a matter of seconds, like shooting sports, stunts, water dives, etc. so, you only need like 5 seconds of recording.

The Samsung Galaxy S9 and above have this feature where you can place a square in the area where the action is happening, and can detect movement so it triggers the super slow motion recording so you don´t have to guess when to start recording masnually. It would be awesome a feature like this on an action cam.

I also would love to see 1000 fps in the action 2, but maybe we are few who want this feature, If more of us would ask for super slow motion, I bet DJI can make it happen.
2021-4-22
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

RGDI Posted at 4-22 06:52
I also think is a matter of hardware, and think that the hardware the OA already have, can do pretty decent super slow motion video.

The Huawei Mate 30 pro can record 960 FPS full HD, and 7680 FPS at 780. This super slow motion is for events that happens in a matter of seconds, like shooting sports, stunts, water dives, etc. so, you only need like 5 seconds of recording.

If they can make it they should, but I still have my doubt about the quality since the already slowmotion look bad (good enough for some).

I think Olympus TG-6 had desent slowmotion, and it's not expensive. It have atleast good 4K quality.
2021-4-22
Use props
RGDI
lvl.1

Mexico

johansenfoto Posted at 4-22 12:00
If they can make it they should, but I still have my doubt about the quality since the already slowmotion look bad (good enough for some).

I think Olympus TG-6 had desent slowmotion, and it's not expensive. It have atleast good 4K quality.

Checking some youtube vids on the Olympus TG-6! Thanks for the tip!
2021-4-22
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

RGDI Posted at 4-22 14:23
Checking some youtube vids on the Olympus TG-6! Thanks for the tip!

I had earlier this winter plans to buy TG-6 as a second camera for my video-making, but I tried it at our local photoshop and it was a bit "hard" to use with menus (Since I'm used to use Nikon dslrs).
But I did like the quality, and that it have so many features + good quality and water proof.

2021-4-23
Use props
RGDI
lvl.1

Mexico

johansenfoto Posted at 4-23 00:49
I had earlier this winter plans to buy TG-6 as a second camera for my video-making, but I tried it at our local photoshop and it was a bit "hard" to use with menus (Since I'm used to use Nikon dslrs).
But I did like the quality, and that it have so many features + good quality and water proof.

I watched some reviews, and it is very rugged, but like for taking it for hike, dive, etc. and I´m looking for a all in one camera setup (Like for content creation) The video stabilization is not that good compared to rocksteady or HyperSmooth, and yes, the menus look complicated from the review I watched from The Every Day Dad channel.

I have an old Nikon Coolpix AW130, but onli records at 60 fps, and does not have any video stabilization, so I´m looking for a reliable upgrade, and the Osmo Action seems good for what I need, (I wish it had Super Slow Mo) so, I´m waiting for any news on the Osmo Action 2.
2021-4-23
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

RGDI Posted at 4-23 07:32
I watched some reviews, and it is very rugged, but like for taking it for hike, dive, etc. and I´m looking for a all in one camera setup (Like for content creation) The video stabilization is not that good compared to rocksteady or HyperSmooth, and yes, the menus look complicated from the review I watched from The Every Day Dad channel.

I have an old Nikon Coolpix AW130, but onli records at 60 fps, and does not have any video stabilization, so I´m looking for a reliable upgrade, and the Osmo Action seems good for what I need, (I wish it had Super Slow Mo) so, I´m waiting for any news on the Osmo Action 2.

TG-6 is probably good enough for some, but not for me neither.
2021-4-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules