External Power Supply for iPad while using DJI Fly
1072 2 2021-4-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tico2021
lvl.1
Australia

Hi. I have an iPad Air 2 that I use for running the DJI Fly app with a Mini 2. The problem is that I need to extend the battery life of the iPad for ongoing use throughout the day. I have multiple batteries for the Mini 2. The limiting factor for a long day's flying is the iPad running out of juice.

I have selected the toggle 'Phone Charging' to ON in the DJI Fly app. Unfortunately, I'm guessing that the current draw of the iPad Air 2 exceeds the capabilities of the DJI remote control. The 'Phone Charging' toggle auto selects back to OFF and won't provide external power to the iPad.

The addition of an external power supply connected to the USB-C connector on the bottom of the DJI Remote also fails to power the iPad via the Lightning connector.

I've tried a Belkin 'Y' Lightning junction connector that has one Lightning connector to two Lightning connector outputs. This is designed for an external power supply to an iDevice while also providing a second Lightning connector for audio connections. This doesn't work with the DJI Remote connected to the iPad.

Has anyone successfully stripped the USB-C to Lightning connector cable and provisioned an external power supply to inject power to the display device? This should be Pin 1 (Ground) and Pin 5 (+5V).

2021-4-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Tico202. Good day and thank you for these information you have given. I hope that you will get the best information from our valid DJI members who uses these 3rd Party External Power Supply for the mobile device attached to your DJI Mini 2's remote controller. Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend you to use a 3rd party accessories like external power supply on the said DJI remote controller. There is a  possibility that these power supply will work, however, since it's not yet tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the reliability of the said power supply when in use. Thank you and fly safe always.
2021-4-21
Use props
Tico2021
lvl.1
Australia

Hi @DJI Stephen. As far as I can tell, there are no 3rd Party External Power Supplies to power an iPad connected to the DJI Remote Controller. This is the crux of the problem.

The iPad can't be powered by the DJI Remote Controller. This is the problem that limits flying time to the endurance of the iPad battery. For a long day of surveying, I have multiple batteries for the drone.
I can't afford to sit around and wait for the iPad to recharge. It needs to have supplemental power while the drone is being operated.

If external power is provided to the USB-C port of the DJI Remote Controller, there should be sufficient power to run the DJI Remote and the connected iPad. Can you please forward this as a feature request for the development of the DJI Fly app.

I suggest that the DJI Remote Controller is currently programmed as a USB Host that limits accessories to 500mA maximum. This makes sense for load management of the DJI Remote battery. With supplemental power provided to the USB-C port, this limit should be able to be increased by a software modification.
2021-4-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules