Recommend a freestyle drone to use with DJI FPV
5917 18 2021-4-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sbarton
lvl.3
Flight distance : 877110 ft
United States

I just got a DJI FPV drone and really like it.  Very comfortable doing acro with it at higher elevations and far away from things, but too chicken to really play with it closer to ground or objects.  Can someone recommend a robust drone that works with DJI FPV system.  I already have the DJI FPV Goggles V2 and the FPV Air system seams really cheap for what it is. Really looking for something that can hold up to crashes and is easy to repair if it does break.  Thanks!  

2021-4-26
Use props
BEN D
lvl.1
Flight distance : 886224 ft
Greece

I think you need to do some research on whether the V2 goggles and the new remote work with the air unit (I think they don't, not sure, don't take my word for it)

As far as drone frames there are some prety solid carbon frames espacialy the bangGOD 5" from catalyst machineworks (it will break but you need to try, also somewhat heavy 140gr ). From what I could find online most of the BNF acro style drones are like pre built PCs (meaning you can make something yourself that's cheaper and more robust)
Anyway I don't know if you're looking to build your own or buy something ready or if the dji fpv is your first drone but do some googling and you will figure it out.
2021-4-27
Use props
sbarton
lvl.3
United States

BEN D Posted at 4-27 03:27
I think you need to do some research on whether the V2 goggles and the new remote work with the air unit (I think they don't, not sure, don't take my word for it)

As far as drone frames there are some prety solid carbon frames espacialy the bangGOD 5" from catalyst machineworks (it will break but you need to try, also somewhat heavy 140gr ). From what I could find online most of the BNF acro style drones are like pre built PCs (meaning you can make something yourself that's cheaper and more robust)

The V2 Goggles do work, the controller does not.    This is my 4th DJI drone (P2V+, P3P, MA, and FPV) but first FPV/acro drone.  It's a lot of fun, but want something I can push the limits more without worrying about losing $800 in a small crash.  I'm leaning towards the Eachine Viswhoop at $260.  No way I could put together something for that price as you said.  It has the CaddyX HD instead of DJI FPV air, but best I can tell the only difference is the size/weight/cost of the CaddyX is less, but does not have onboard 1080p recording like the DJI FPV Air does.  I don't plan on putting a camera on whatever freestyle drone I get so the onboard video would be nice, mostly due to not having to worry about reduced quality when the signal drops.  Video transmission range and quality is supposedly the same.  
2021-4-27
Use props
Bezik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 420646 ft
United Kingdom

If you are wanting to do more freestyle type flying a whoop wouldn't be my first choice, more for smooth cinematic type flying, If your wanting something small I would suggest the emax babyhawk II HD, if your wanting a full size 5" quad i would say look at the iFlight freestyle quads https://shop.iflight-rc.com/inde ... gory&path=25_29
2021-4-27
Use props
BEN D
lvl.1
Flight distance : 886224 ft
Greece

sbarton Posted at 4-27 04:55
The V2 Goggles do work, the controller does not.    This is my 4th DJI drone (P2V+, P3P, MA, and FPV) but first FPV/acro drone.  It's a lot of fun, but want something I can push the limits more without worrying about losing $800 in a small crash.  I'm leaning towards the Eachine Viswhoop at $260.  No way I could put together something for that price as you said.  It has the CaddyX HD instead of DJI FPV air, but best I can tell the only difference is the size/weight/cost of the CaddyX is less, but does not have onboard 1080p recording like the DJI FPV Air does.  I don't plan on putting a camera on whatever freestyle drone I get so the onboard video would be nice, mostly due to not having to worry about reduced quality when the signal drops.  Video transmission range and quality is supposedly the same.

Nice man good to know the goggles work with the air unit because I plan on getting the DJI FPV combo for some long range mountain surfing and wouldn't mind a "free" upgrade.

On another note what if you get both a cheap bnf and a robust frame ,do a little transplant so you get the best of both worlds and an extra frame as backup just a random idea I had while reading your reply
2021-4-27
Use props
sbarton
lvl.3
United States

Bezik Posted at 4-27 13:01
If you are wanting to do more freestyle type flying a whoop wouldn't be my first choice, more for smooth cinematic type flying, If your wanting something small I would suggest the emax babyhawk II HD, if your wanting a full size 5" quad i would say look at the iFlight freestyle quads https://shop.iflight-rc.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=25_29

Was just thinking of the whoop because of the prop guards and being able to bounce off stuff.  I can 3D print them if needed I suppose.  Smaller/quieter/cheaper would be better.  If doing a bigger 3.5" prop, I'd probably want the DJI Air so that I can get onboard 1080p video.  
2021-4-27
Use props
fans23131bfe
lvl.1
Flight distance : 284190 ft
Singapore

sbarton Posted at 4-27 04:55

I just bought a DJI FPV combo. While activating the unit, it forced me to update to latest goggle version, so I am now on 1.01.0 firmware. And I don't see any option in Goggles to switch to FPV mode.
Anyone knows if there is a way to switch?
2021-4-27
Use props
Bezik
lvl.4
United Kingdom

sbarton Posted at 4-27 18:35
Was just thinking of the whoop because of the prop guards and being able to bounce off stuff.  I can 3D print them if needed I suppose.  Smaller/quieter/cheaper would be better.  If doing a bigger 3.5" prop, I'd probably want the DJI Air so that I can get onboard 1080p video.

the air unit is a very heavy unit, not really suitable for 3.5" quads

this is my babyhawk and XL5 to show the size difference

1.png
2.png
3.png
2021-4-28
Use props
sbarton
lvl.3
United States

Bezik Posted at 4-28 04:31

Thanks!  How do you like the BabyHawk?  
2021-4-28
Use props
Bezik
lvl.4
United Kingdom

sbarton Posted at 4-28 05:05
Thanks!  How do you like the BabyHawk?

LOVE IT!!!! I just grabbed another 4 packs for it (4s 850mah) It flies very much like a 5" quad just a little more float and not as much punch (enough though)
The main thing is just how quiet and unthreatening it is to people. if im flying one of my 5" i find people are very freaked by it, with the babyhawk they barely take any notice, perfect park flyer.  The tune out of the box is silky smooth all i changed was the rates. I get about 5 minutes ripping or upto 9 minutes cruising on the 850 mah packs
2021-4-28
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

iFlight Nazgul is about the best 5" quad out there at present for the price. There is of course others, like from Armattan but you pay a premium price but they are excellent. You also get a lifetime warranty for the frame. If you bust it, you prove it's yours, show them the busted part and they replace it with the only thing payable is the postage. Really good top quality company that cares about it's customers. Had a number off them myself.
2021-4-28
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bezik Posted at 4-28 04:31

Got Air Units in my 2.5" Squirt and protek35 cinewhoops and it's handled perfectly. As long as the motors fitted have the power, you can get the AU in even a 2" kwad.
2021-4-28
Use props
Bezik
lvl.4
United Kingdom

CoreyB10 Posted at 4-28 06:07
Got Air Units in my 2.5" Squirt and protek35 cinewhoops and it's handled perfectly. As long as the motors fitted have the power, you can get the AU in even a 2" kwad.

How do those handle freestyle? might be an option for him if they are capable, Ive found i like my quads a bit lighter and have been swapping AU out for vistas recently
2021-4-28
Use props
MisterSpyezFPV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1663 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I agree with the babyhawk 2 hd recommendation, decent flight time, great little ripper, quiet and freestyles like a 5 inch quad... I got a fleet of 4 and this has been my go to quad since I got it!
2021-4-28
Use props
sbarton
lvl.3
United States

Anyone fly a TransTEC 2.5'' Beetle HD ?  

2021-4-28
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bezik Posted at 4-28 07:24
How do those handle freestyle? might be an option for him if they are capable, Ive found i like my quads a bit lighter and have been swapping AU out for vistas recently

The Squirt's are made for super silky footage with a Gopro but the protek35 is a power house and is very capable of freestyle. I run mine using just the AU footage with a 1550 4s lipo. Got that well dialled in.
2021-4-28
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

sbarton Posted at 4-28 07:53
Anyone fly a TransTEC 2.5'' Beetle HD ?  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8UHDxWwNvQ&t=130s

One of the guys I fly with has one and it's a mini beast with the prop guards off. Really fast, agile and capable.
2021-4-28
Use props
click here now
lvl.2

United States

baby hawk 2 pro
2021-9-6
Use props
MisterSpyezFPV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1663 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

get the emax babyhawk 2 hd and pair it with the insta360go2 camera... it's my fave quad, so much so that when I smashed my first beyond repair (my fault completely) I ordered another straight away!

definitely do the fcc hack and run it at 700mw for freestyle.
2021-9-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules