The #BEEP BEEP: Exchanged at Best Buy
1016 33 2021-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mike90210
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1183556 ft
United States

1 out of 2 flights last night, and during my lunch flight today, I experience the crazy loud controller beeping immediately after turning the controller on (the aircraft was already on).
I had no errors messages on the screen but I noticed the top & bottom of my iphone screen were orange.

I presume that's obstacle detected but nothing was nearby.  

So, I picked up the drone angled it in different directions but the orange remained.  I then moved it 10 feet away from its original location - still orange.

Last night and today, I took off hoping that would make the beeping stop but it didn't.

QUESTION:

With the 2S, are you not allowed to launch it if it sees anything nearby?   Normally I hand launch but this time I did it from an asphalt parking lot and I was at least 6 feet away.

Is something wrong with my sensors?  Is this experience common?

This beeping has happend maybe 3 out of the last 10 flight.  At first I though it was GPS related but it's not.

Thanks,
Mike

2021-4-28
Use props
jmb63
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7009439 ft
  • >>>
United States

OK, As previously discussed, If the Drone is not actually "off the ground" the "orange" indicators on the top and bottom of the screen WILL pick up an "obstacle" but there is no beeping. The drone will lift off and then the obstacle beeping will occur. If it is running on the ground before taking off there is no beeping just the indicators. The only way I can get mine to beep like that if not in flight, is to hold a remote stick in any direction as the remote turns on. It'll beep (even if I release that stick back to "neutral"/"centered") until it is shut off then on again.Possibly if you try to start the motors in a no-fly zone this drone/remote will beep?
And, I just tried it in my hand ( approx 4 feet off the ground) just to see if being "hand-launched" changed the behavior. It was the same as if it was on the ground.

Unless the Iphone/IOS app works differently, I would give up on the sensors or GPS causing the beeping.
I still suspect a sticking button/stick/dial on the remote if, as you say, it does it as soon as you turn it (the remote) on!

2021-4-28
Use props
Mike90210
lvl.3
United States

Thanks @jmb63 for trying to recreate my issue - very kind of you.

I totally forgot about that drone's "black box".  I'm going to pull the data from my last flight to see if it reveals anything !

-Mike
2021-4-28
Use props
Mike90210
lvl.3
United States

Ratz, nothing when I view the flight playback.  

Home point set at 3 seconds and no warning displayed.

Interestingly, I don't see any orange but I can't swear there was orange after lift-off.

So, next time it happens, I'll make special note to see if it senses orange after lift-off when it isn't near anything.

I'll figure out how to upload the log files to that phantom site I keep seeing references to - maybe that will be helpful.

-Mike
2021-4-28
Use props
jmb63
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mike90210 Posted at 4-28 11:47
Ratz, nothing when I view the flight playback.  

Home point set at 3 seconds and no warning displayed.

Umm, I think you are getting ahead of yourself here...If I understand right, the remote is beeping before you even take off?

Is it beeping before you turn on the drone or connect to the drone? In other words, just the remote turned on?

You mentioned orange indications in your original post, yes?
2021-4-28
Use props
Mike90210
lvl.3
United States

Yes.  The controller starts beeping like crazy if no connection is made (aircraft is off) - I figured that was normal.  The mini 2 flashed if the aircraft was off so I figured they just dialed up the obnoxious meter.

But yes, while the drone was powered on , on the ground, before takeoff, the controller was beeping.  However, I did spot orange at the top & bottom of the screen.

I do recall the very first day, I actually got written warnings about the vision sensors being blocked.

BTW, allow me to add: in an effort to stop the beeping within the first few minutes of flight, I disabled collision altogether, thinking that surely would make it stop - it didn't

-Mike
2021-4-28
Use props
jmb63
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mike90210 Posted at 4-28 12:07
Yes.  The controller starts beeping like crazy if no connection is made (aircraft is off) - I figured that was normal.  The mini 2 flashed if the aircraft was off so I figured they just dialed up the obnoxious meter.

But yes, while the drone was powered on , on the ground, before takeoff, the controller was beeping.  However, I did spot orange at the top & bottom of the screen.

OK, thanks for the clarification

The bottom line here...THE CONTROLLER IS BAD...a button or something is sticking or being held down inadvertently while it is being powered on.
That is the only thing that will cause that beeping when it is JUST the controller on!!  

A wild thought but a thought just the same...maybe your phone case is somehow holding a button on the controller?

Exchange the kit while you can.
2021-4-28
Use props
Mike90210
lvl.3
United States

@JMB63:  Wait: you're saying if you turn on the controller when the aircraft is off, it should not go BEEP BEEP BEEP?  

I just turned on the controller with aircraft off (inside), and it goes BEEP BEEP BEEP.

Do I have a #DUD?
2021-4-28
Use props
Mike90210
lvl.3
United States

And just to clarify, I turned on the controller (no phone connected), drone off, and I get the beep beep beep
2021-4-28
Use props
Mike Munoz
lvl.2

United States

I had the same thing happen last week in Hawaii ……. I found by  turning the controller off and on several times it solves the issue ?? .  I have also had the same issue with my Mavic air 2.  
2021-4-28
Use props
jmb63
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mike90210 Posted at 4-28 13:11
@JMB63:  Wait: you're saying if you turn on the controller when the aircraft is off, it should not go BEEP BEEP BEEP?  

I just turned on the controller with aircraft off (inside), and it goes BEEP BEEP BEEP.

Yes, That is exactly what I am saying...

It should DEFINITELY NOT be beeping when first turned on and not connected!

It will only do that if a button/stick, etc is stuck or maybe an open circuit internally...

Either way, if you tried calibrating the remote ( as you mentioned in your post last week) I would say you have a bad remote
2021-4-29
Use props
Skyrider1160
lvl.2

United States

Has anyone else had this happen……last night I turned on the controller only and had the beeping .  I had to turn the controller off and on a dozen times before it finally stopped.  I do not feel comfortable at all with this issue and will be returning the mavic to Amazon. I will purchase an other one, hopefully it will not have this issue.
2021-4-29
Use props
Mike90210
lvl.3
United States

@jbmb63: Based on your thought that maybe it's a stuck button or stick issue, and armed with the new knowledge that it's intermittent and can happen even if the aircraft is #OFF (ruling out everything on the aircraft),  I turned it on & off a bunch of times, pressing buttons to see if I could make it stop.

GUESS WHAT:

The last time it happened,  when it was #BEEP #BEEP #BEEPing, I managed to silence it by sliding the selector from CINE/Normal/Sport.

My latest hypotheses: maybe if it's not perfectly in one of the 3 discrete positions, maybe it freaks out.

So, going forward, I'll start with it all the way to the left in CINI.

I'll keep you posted, and thanks again everyone for all the contributions and ideas!!

-Mike
2021-4-29
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13498560 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

So today my RC started beeping furiously when I turned it on, I normal connect my phone and then turn on RC and it never beeped like this before but today I had to shut down the rc again and turn it on to stop the horrendous noise it was making. All this while my AC was turned off so it is something to do with the RC. DJI Mods, can you check what could be causing the issues, I tried to check if any errors were reported but nothing nada.
2021-5-1
Use props
Mike90210
lvl.3
United States

It happened to me again today.  It was fine the last 6 flights.  So, my hypothesis that the Cini / Sport button was the cause seems wrong as it was all the way over in CINI, and moving it to sport & back didn't help.  Turned it on & off like 6 times before it finally stopped.

I just connected the controller to the DJI Assistant 2 app on my windows laptop and it says the controller is up-to-date.  There's no options there for calibrate or anything.
2021-5-2
Use props
Skyrider1160
lvl.2

United States

Mike,
Thank you for confirming that by turning the controller off and on will stop the beeping. I have had no luck in finding out what is causing this issue.  I have contacted DJI customer care service and they tell me they have no idea what is causing this to happen.  I also have the same thing happening with my Mavic Air 2 controller. I have just learned to live with it, being that it causes no issues when flying. The only thing is it gets very old having to turn the controller off and on several times to get the beeping to stop.  Don’t get me wrong this doesn’t happen all the time but only occasionally or when I’m in a hurry to get the drone up.
So I have decided to return my Air 2S to Amazon and wait for the Mavic 3 to be released. I only buy my drones from Amazon as they give you a 30 day no hassle return policy.  

Oh and one more thing I have no issues with the beeping on my Mavic Pro controller.
2021-5-2
Use props
Mike90210
lvl.3
United States

@Skyrider1160 , just to clarify:

I'm not sure if turning the controller off & on stops it.  Last time, I turned it off & on like 7 times in a row, and it finally stopped :-)

I will reach out to best buy to see what kind of hassle to expect on an a drone exchange.

-Mike
2021-5-3
Use props
Mike90210
lvl.3
United States

Not sure how I missed doing this.  I'll try tonight!

2021-5-3
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hope that RC calibration works! Rarely do you need to calibrate the RC often even when new and just released. IMU and compass is understandable given various locations and environment.
2021-5-3
Use props
Skyrider1160
lvl.2

United States

Mike90210 Posted at 5-3 10:01
Not sure how I missed doing this.  I'll try tonight!

[view_image]

Mike90210, I have tried calibrating my controller several times along with compass calibration only to get the same results. Remember the beeping only occurs occasionally upon turning on the controller. As I mention before this also occurs on my Mavic Air 2 which I have learned to live with as it does not effect the performance of the drone upon turning the controller off and on to get the beeping to stop. Let me know if you get any different results.
2021-5-3
Use props
Mike90210
lvl.3
United States

I'm so disappointed:

Calibration didn't solve it.

Immediately after calibration, it happened.  But then stopped after turning off & on like 5 or 6 times.

Then, the 10 subsequent time it didn't happen.

I think I will box everything up and return it to best buy.

I'm concerned if there's something wrong with the controller, at some future point it might go crazy and send a stick-down command while I'm flying over water.

Sad face.

2021-5-3
Use props
Skyrider1160
lvl.2

United States

Mike90210 Posted at 5-3 14:40
I'm so disappointed:

I don’t blame you, I will just be happy with my Mavic Air 2 which is a great drone for what I do.  I Just can’t justify having this issue with the Air 2S…….   I just printed out my return label and will be sending back to Amazon tomorrow.   
2021-5-3
Use props
Skyrider1160
lvl.2

United States

I'm so disappointed:

I don’t blame you, I will just be happy with my Mavic Air 2 which is a great drone for what I do.  I Just can’t justify having this issue with the Air 2S…….   I just printed out my return label and will be sending back to Amazon tomorrow.   
2021-5-3
Use props
Skyrider1160
lvl.2

United States

I'm so disappointed:

2021-5-3
Use props
Skyrider1160
lvl.2

United States

I'm so disappointed:

2021-5-3
Use props
PAir2s
lvl.1
Flight distance : 68816 ft
Poland

Hi Mike, i have the same problem with my controller ... very loud BIP BIP BIP BIP, and today I calibrated the controller and it made me loud again BIP BIP BIP.I decided to re-program the controller via dji assistant 2 application on mac and again calibrate controller...I don't know if you noticed that when you do stick calibration, you also have lag in the first seconds? Because when I press the stick up  on the left, nothing changes ... only when I go down the green bar appears and then I can adjust the stick up and then the green bar appears ...
2021-5-4
Use props
Skyrider1160
lvl.2

United States

PAir2s Posted at 5-4 10:11
Hi Mike, i have the same problem with my controller ... very loud BIP BIP BIP BIP, and today I calibrated the controller and it made me loud again BIP BIP BIP.I decided to re-program the controller via dji assistant 2 application on mac and again calibrate controller...I don't know if you noticed that when you do stick calibration, you also have lag in the first seconds? Because when I press the stick up  on the left, nothing changes ... only when I go down the green bar appears and then I can adjust the stick up and then the green bar appears ...

Just turn the controller off and on until the beeping stops.  
DJI why does this happen ??  
I returned my Air 2S today.
2021-5-4
Use props
Mike90210
lvl.3
United States

Exchanging the whole Fly More Combo at Best Buy was MUCH EASIER than I envisioned.  I thought they were supposed to direct me to geek squad so they could carefully inspect the drone for damage in case I flew it into a tree and was trying to exchange.

I came prepared with a transcript print-out from my DJI support session.

Turns out the kid didn't even open the bag.

When setting up the new one, I see how the process is supposed to work: it was SUPER SMOOTH with the controller not in an error state beeping.

I did the firmware - super smooth.

I'm waiting for the other 2 batteries to charge but I'm optimistic it will be smooth tomorrow.

Thanks again for all your support and comments,
Mike
2021-5-5
Use props
Skyrider1160
lvl.2

United States

Mike90210 Posted at 5-5 17:25
Exchanging the whole Fly More Combo at Best Buy was MUCH EASIER than I envisioned.  I thought they were supposed to direct me to geek squad so they could carefully inspect the drone for damage in case I flew it into a tree and was trying to exchange.

What did you do differently this time to solve the beeping issue.  
2021-5-6
Use props
PAir2s
lvl.1
Poland

is it possible that if I turn on the controller first before starting the dji fly application, the controller makes a loud beep beep beep and if I turn on the application first and then start the controller, is it ok? what could such a dependence be? of course i did a stics calibration but it does not help
2021-5-6
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

PAir2s Posted at 5-6 11:21
is it possible that if I turn on the controller first before starting the dji fly application, the controller makes a loud beep beep beep and if I turn on the application first and then start the controller, is it ok? what could such a dependence be? of course i did a stics calibration but it does not help

Have you tried updating the RC FW again? If that doesn't help, contact DJI Support.

When I just turn the controller on, I get no beeping at all. Drone and phone is not connected. So it sounds like an issue that DJI needs to resolve.
2021-5-6
Use props
PAir2s
lvl.1
Poland

yes i did re-firmware of the controller by dji assistant 2, nothing helps. Of course, this loud beep beep occurs 1-3 times out of 10 times when the controller is turned on. It is tiring.
I have the impression that the first  dji air2s models are underdeveloped.
i had dji mavic air after mavic air2 and had no problems 2 years with any problems.
I bought a more expensive newer model and I have a lot of problems.
I have bought dji care for 2 years and there is help, but what they write, what I have to do, it does not work.

I think we should start a topic about the problems of the new drone.
I have the following:

1. Altidude zone 0m in places where there are no danger areas. When flying Air2 and Air2s in the same place, air2 does not have this message, air 2s has a message about stupid altitude zone 0m ! wtf ?!?
2. definitely more difficult and longer searching for a connection with satellites...
3.beep beep beep on the controller
4.lower range video with OC3 ?  (I fly the same route as air2 and air2 flies without interference, air2s sometimes loses signal or freeze video )
5. The battery is definitely worse
6. I think air2s is louder than air2

The first 4 points are the most frustrating.
The fact that he has a better camera, I don't know if it's really worth the money.
at the moment I feel disgusted and a bit cheated. Because I bought a more expensive model, but is it better? I think not

2021-5-6
Use props
DGCA3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 465062 ft
United States

Mike90210 Posted at 5-5 17:25

Best Buy has been great during the Covid era, by being very liberal about returns. I had bought a MA2 in February. But of course I wanted to get the A2S when it came out 2 months later, so I took the other back, expecting a 15% stocking fee. Nope. They just glanced inside the bag and gave me full store credit. Which I then used right away to buy the A2S.
2021-5-6
Use props
Mike90210
lvl.3
United States

Now having the experience of how a flawless Air 2s setup is supposed to be, I now realize in retrospect that the 2s I returned to best buy was a hot mess.  During the initial setup, the controller was in that loud beeping error state and I thought that was normal because the sensors were sensing objects and there was no GPS avail inside.  

I think my firmware updates were doomed from the start because of the beeping error.

This drone was silky smooth out of the box.

-Mike
2021-5-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules