Landing Gear Floats
1019 11 2021-5-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kevinhart992
lvl.2
Flight distance : 184213 ft
United States

Another newbie question here.  I live on a beautiful lake in the north Georgia mountains which is the main reason I bought this drone for video and photos of the area.  Right now I fly slightly over the lake while learning.  I did buy the DJI Refresh plan which gives me somewhat of a peace of mind.  I am wondering if it is worth investing in the landing gear float?  Does it affect the flying?  Are there better options?  I do have a boat so I could retrieve it fairly quick.  I just wonder with all the failsafe stuff on this drone is it worth getting some type of floatation device?
2021-5-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Doubtless you'll get nervous flyers recommending you do.
I do all my flying over the ocean and I'd never handicap my drone's ability to deal with wind by strapping a floatie contraption to it.
5000 miles over the sea and still happily flying the same drone.
2021-5-3
Use props
kevinhart992
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 5-3 05:07
Doubtless you'll get nervous flyers recommending you do.
I do all my flying over the ocean and I'd never handicap my drone's ability to deal with wind by strapping a floatie contraption to it.
5000 miles over the sea and still happily flying the same drone.

Thanks Labroides!  I was leaning away from them.  I am a somewhat nervous flyer right now but getting better.  I am careful with my investments and really don't fly like a bat out of hell.  I think I will do fine without them.
2021-5-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Better spending more time becoming proficient, forget about adding contraptions that will more than likely cause problems, you dont need them, only thing that will put your drone in the water is you or malfunction, you are covered under warranty for 2 years for malfunction.
2021-5-3
Use props
kevinhart992
lvl.2
United States

kevinhart992@gm Posted at 5-3 05:20
Thanks Labroides!  I was leaning away from them.  I am a somewhat nervous flyer right now but getting better.  I am careful with my investments and really don't fly like a bat out of hell.  I think I will do fine without them.

Thanks!  I am going to pass on them.
2021-5-3
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

I would not add extra wieght and air resistance to the drone, it will just increase the chance for it to go down or to not being able to return home.

And also, I'd never land over water, those pads can fail easily and if that happens say goodbye to your drone.

Learning to takeoff/land from your hand is one of the most practical things you can learn.
2021-5-3
Use props
kevinhart992
lvl.2
United States

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 5-3 09:00
I would not add extra wieght and air resistance to the drone, it will just increase the chance for it to go down or to not being able to return home.

And also, I'd never land over water, those pads can fail easily and if that happens say goodbye to your drone.

Your right I don't want to add anymore weight or resistance.  I wouldn't try to land or take off in water but originally thought if it crashed in water the floats would keep it from sinking so I could retrieve it.  I have done the takeoff/land from my hand with this drone.  Wow, so much easier than my old drone.  My old drone scared the hell out of me on hand landings. Not to stable so I always wore sunglasses just in case it lunged at me.
2021-5-3
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there kevinhart992. Good day and thank you for reaching out. Since this is a 3rd party accessory ( Landing Gear Floats ) for the DJI Air 2S. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI co pilots who have used / purchased a landing gear floats for the said DJI Drone. Just a reminder that DJI does not recommend you to your 3rd party accessories on your DJI Drones. These 3rd party accessories might affect the said DJI drone when in use. There is a possibility that these 3rd party accessories will be able work. However, since it's not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the stability of the said 3rd party accessory if it will work all the time with no issues and might void the warranty of the said DJI product. Thank you and fly safe always.
2021-5-3
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I tested two commercial float sets on my Mini and neither performed well. The range and speed were cut by about 20% and I got a lot more "high wind" messages. They are not too bad when the wind is coming from the front but are horrible when flying aside the winds, due to the higher profile from the side. Unless you specifically want to land on water I would not use them and I can't think of a good reason to land on water anyway. I made my own float from a block of Styrofoam mounted on top once that allowed much better performance but that was not for landing on water, just to keep it afloat if it went in. I have not used it since about 1 year ago. I still have all my drones ;-)

On a related topic, if you want to use the GetterBack device, take note of the limitation (in fine print) requiring the water to be deeper than about 6 feet to operate.

Hello Gary,

Thank you for your interest in our product.   Unfortunately, the minimum depth to activate of six feet.  We designed this  into the product to ensure that the check valve stays closed in all weather  conditions so that no moisture can enter and cause an accidental  deployment.  Using six feet of water pressure, which is, about 3 psi, was  the required pressure to achieve this.  Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Steve Fisher President  & CEO

2021-5-3
Use props
kevinhart992
lvl.2
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 5-3 19:06
I tested two commercial float sets on my Mini and neither performed well. The range and speed were cut by about 20% and I got a lot more "high wind" messages. They are not too bad when the wind is coming from the front but are horrible when flying aside the winds, due to the higher profile from the side. Unless you specifically want to land on water I would not use them and I can't think of a good reason to land on water anyway. I made my own float from a block of Styrofoam mounted on top once that allowed much better performance but that was not for landing on water, just to keep it afloat if it went in. I have not used it since about 1 year ago. I still have all my drones ;-)

On a related topic, if you want to use the GetterBack device, take note of the limitation (in fine print) requiring the water to be deeper than about 6 feet to operate.

Thanks Gary.  Think I will just hone in on my flying skills.
2021-5-4
Use props
kevinhart992
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-3 18:57
Hello there kevinhart992. Good day and thank you for reaching out. Since this is a 3rd party accessory ( Landing Gear Floats ) for the DJI Air 2S. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI co pilots who have used / purchased a landing gear floats for the said DJI Drone. Just a reminder that DJI does not recommend you to your 3rd party accessories on your DJI Drones. These 3rd party accessories might affect the said DJI drone when in use. There is a possibility that these 3rd party accessories will be able work. However, since it's not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the stability of the said 3rd party accessory if it will work all the time with no issues and might void the warranty of the said DJI product. Thank you and fly safe always.

Thanks Stephen.  Good point about warranty.  I will stick with the factory accessories.
2021-5-4
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

kevinhart992@gm Posted at 5-4 04:19
Thanks Stephen.  Good point about warranty.  I will stick with the factory accessories.

Hi there kevinhart992. You are very much welcome and thank you for the reply. If you have any other inquiries or concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it there at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and assist you. Have a safe and a happy flying always. .
2021-5-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules