3873 14 2021-5-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bstshotcomcast.net
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40207 ft
  • >>>
United States

So I bought a DJI fpv drone last month and had no issues with it. The other day I got the fly more kit for my birthday and when I charged the 2 new batteries and installed in into the drone, it made me do a firmware update on the batteries. I did that and ever since that when I fly the horizon is crooked in the goggles. I spoke to tech support many times and did everything under the sun to fix this.

I did a calibration on the IMU, on the compass and the gimbal. I also changed the props and re-firmwared the drone, the goggles and the controller with no luck.

I have not saw anything like this on the web. I contacted DJI and they want me to send in my drone for repairs. I'm leary about doing that, I just got the drone less than a month ago but I'm past the return date. If anyone has any suggestions I'm more than ready to listen.

Thanks,

BstShot
2021-5-6
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

The horizon will be tilted if you have a cross wind.

When you yaw the drone in place, does the tilt always stay the same or does it change depending on the orientation of the drone? If the tilt changes with orientation, then it's likely the drone is tilted to fight the wind.

Take a look at the photo in this thread. I only have level horizons when there's no wind or if I'm flying directly into the wind or with the wind.
2021-5-6
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
United States

"the horizon is crooked in the goggles"

Is the horizon also crooked in the recorded video?

Keep in mind the gimbal has a single axis. It can't tilt the camera to level the horizon like many drones.
2021-5-6
Use props
Buster1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 677028 ft
United States

BstShot, can you get a picture of what is happening? Is this a goggle display issue? What does it look like when linked up but still on the ground? (Should be level).

But Duane is correct, once airborne, with any kind of wind, the horizon will tilt some, relative to the strength of the wind and how much of it is a crosswind (pure headwinds  and tailwinds won’t cause horizon tilt).
2021-5-6
Use props
bstshotcomcast.net
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Duane Degn Posted at 5-6 12:18
The horizon will be tilted if you have a cross wind.

When you yaw the drone in place, does the tilt always stay the same or does it change depending on the orientation of the drone? If the tilt changes with orientation, then it's likely the drone is tilted to fight the wind.

Duane,

Thank you for responding. I haven't checked saved video on the flights. Second, I have noticed that when I'm going south the drone is tilted to the right and coming north it's tilted to the left. So perhaps it is the wind that is really messing with me. Is there anything I can do about this. I guess I'm so spoiled with my Air 2S having the 3 axis gimbal.

Just figured this drone would be able to handle this. Especially if they expect you to fly in some crazy environments for footage.

Also, the issue was stopping when I went into sport mode. It would level the picture out. Then that also stopped.

I know I hit you with a lot but I'm desperate to figure this out.

Thanks,

BstShot
2021-5-6
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
United States

bstshotcomcast.net Posted at 5-6 12:40
Duane,

Thank you for responding. I haven't checked saved video on the flights. Second, I have noticed that when I'm going south the drone is tilted to the right and coming north it's tilted to the left. So perhaps it is the wind that is really messing with me. Is there anything I can do about this. I guess I'm so spoiled with my Air 2S having the 3 axis gimbal.

"I guess I'm so spoiled with my Air 2S having the 3 axis gimbal."

Even 2 axis gimbals can handle this. I'm pretty sure there aren't many single axis camera gimbals on drones.

"Just figured this drone would be able to handle this. Especially if they expect you to fly in some crazy environments for footage."

I suppose it's possible to digitally rotate the image but I'm glad DJI didn't do this. I think a digitally rotated image would cause all sorts of problems which would be worse than a tilted horizon. There's not a way to level the camera without another axis on the gimbal and without letting the drone drift with the wind. A tilted camera comes with fighting side winds.

"Also, the issue was stopping when I went into sport mode. It would level the picture out. Then that also stopped."

I think you're seeing patterns where there aren't any. I think the wind has conspired to trick you into thinking it could be some setting on the drone which changes the tilt behavior.

"I know I hit you with a lot but I'm desperate to figure this out."

Not a problem at all.

Having a tilted horizon when it is windy in just one of the limitation of this drone. I know the tilt confused me the first few times I flew the drone. What can be even more confusing is how the wind can change with altitude.

Airdata.com has a cool feature which will compute the wind speed during a flight. It also creates a graph showing the wind at various altitudes.

Here's an example flight.

Wind Map
DjiWindMap.JPG
Altitude Wind Profile
DjiWindChart.JPG
The wind data isn't available with a free account but it is available with the least expensive paid version. I personally really like seeing the wind data so I upgraded to a paid account.
Even without the wind data, Airdata.com is a great site/app for viewing log data. Make sure to check it out if you haven't already.
2021-5-6
Use props
bstshotcomcast.net
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Buster1 Posted at 5-6 12:40
BstShot, can you get a picture of what is happening? Is this a goggle display issue? What does it look like when linked up but still on the ground? (Should be level).

But Duane is correct, once airborne, with any kind of wind, the horizon will tilt some, relative to the strength of the wind and how much of it is a crosswind (pure headwinds  and tailwinds won’t cause horizon tilt).

Buster,

I will try that next time I fly. I had the phone attached to my goggles and my buddy said it also was a tilted horizon. I'll put the drone flat and see what is going on. I was actually tempted to buy another drone from Amazon just to confirm. But if you guys are saying you have the same issue, I guess it's the nature of the beast.

I guess this drone is not for taking slow pics and videos but more for taking action videos.

But I will do more testing on this. Like I said, if you guys are sure you have the same thing. Then I guess it is what it is.

- BstShot
2021-5-6
Use props
thetechnobear
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2804810 ft
Spain

try 'roll correction' settings in the options.

this will work if you keep you dont roll into your turns too much - so you have to fly in manner that works for it.
the issue is, if you start doing nice co-ordinated banked turns, it tries to 'correct' the roll angle, and stops - so makes it quite jerky

so its not something id use routinely, but if  you wanted to capture more 'camera drone' style footage - you might be able to work with it.
2021-5-6
Use props
bstshotcomcast.net
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

thetechnobear Posted at 5-6 16:04
try 'roll correction' settings in the options.

this will work if you keep you dont roll into your turns too much - so you have to fly in manner that works for it.

This problem happens when flying just straight ahead in Normal mode.
2021-5-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there BstShot. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Since you have done several troubleshooting steps to fix the said issue. It would be best for you to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support ) and send the said DJI drone in for further assessment. Again, I am sorry for the trouble and thank you.
2021-5-6
Use props
FrootWhoopz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 253832 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have noticed this too and from what I have gathered from my own testing on the field it seems to be the wind, it is more noticeable in "N" mode due to the drone trying to stabilise its position more aggressively than it does in "M" mode where instead of tilting as much it gets pushed more as there is less resistance from the drone to keep its position.
2021-5-7
Use props
bstshotcomcast.net
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

FrootWhoopz Posted at 5-7 17:44
I have noticed this too and from what I have gathered from my own testing on the field it seems to be the wind, it is more noticeable in "N" mode due to the drone trying to stabilise its position more aggressively than it does in "M" mode where instead of tilting as much it gets pushed more as there is less resistance from the drone to keep its position.

I haven't tried M mode yet. Still working with sport mode. I did fly it lower tonight and barely noticed it all but higher up it was a different story.

I'm glad someone else experienced this. I was actually going to buy another one from Amazon just to test it out. Lol.
2021-5-7
Use props
michele
lvl.2
Flight distance : 333317 ft
Italy

Hey I have the exactly same issue and it also started when I got the flymore kit and updated the firmware for the batteries but I don't know if this is related.

Look at this https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D767%26typeid%3D767

Did you find a solution?
2021-11-19
Use props
tomekyo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3226991 ft
Netherlands

try to fly on a calm day, without or hardly any wind and everything will be back to "normal" ... this drone does not have stabilized roll on the gimbal, so it always will show in the goggles if there is any side wind ...
2021-11-19
Use props
djiuser_akOuhDKS12dx
lvl.1
Australia

bstshotcomcast.net Posted at 5-7 17:53
I haven't tried M mode yet. Still working with sport mode. I did fly it lower tonight and barely noticed it all but higher up it was a different story.

I'm glad someone else experienced this. I was actually going to buy another one from Amazon just to test it out. Lol.

Make sure when you power on the drone that it is sitting on a level flat level surface when you do so
2021-12-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules