Aircraft can flip up-side-down if launched from table?
564 12 2021-5-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mike90210
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1183556 ft
United States

I have the continuous DJI tips displaying in the fly app.

One of them said something like:  "aircraft can flip up-side-down" if launched from table or Arm (or something like that).

What's that mean for hand-launching?   

I don't want to get decapitated by an up-side-down 2S !!

Mike

2021-5-8
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lawyerspeak for This could happen and if it does do not sue us. We told you ;-)
2021-5-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

All flying is about safety first, nowhere in you manual does it mention launch by hand, in fact manual is pretty clear about where you should launch. There are many cases of people launching off platforms only for drone to flip and these include from boats into water.
2021-5-8
Use props
Mike90210
lvl.3
United States

Thanks hallmark007.

I'm trying to understand the mechanics of WHY or HOW such a thing could happen?

I do understand that if hand launching, a gust of wind could push it back at the human, which is why I always hand launch from above my head.

The idea of a flip concerns me.

Any guess what could make that happen?

Thanks,
Mike
2021-5-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Mike90210 Posted at 5-9 04:19
Thanks hallmark007.

The idea of a flip concerns me.
Any guess what could make that happen?

If you launch from a level surface it couldn't.
In 6 years flying and on forums, I've never heard of or experienced anything like it.

DJI documentation has too much that's badly worded, confusing and contradictory information, poor translations and stuff that's just wrong.

2021-5-9
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

As long as the drone is in a big enough stable surface it won't flip or fall.

When launching or landing by hand the same, but it can fall if for example you are trying to launch from a narrow surface and the drone is close to the edge, and as you power up de motors the drone falls from the surface due to vibrations, for example.

Once the motors are engaged you can even throw the drone upwards and it won't fall, but I wouldn't recommend it. Just engage the motors and take off normally with the sticks or with the button in the app either from your hand or from a proper stable surface.
2021-5-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Mike90210 Posted at 5-9 04:19
Thanks hallmark007.

Sometimes if you don’t separate props before flying your craft will move to one side on start up, if you’re near an edge it could topple. So always separate props. If you twitch on a small platform . Hand launching or catching with Air2s is just a matter of experience, the more you do it the more familiar it will get. I think the warnings are just to make you aware. Experience will make all of us better.
2021-5-9
Use props
Mike90210
lvl.3
United States

Thanks @hallmark007 , that un-sep props & moving sideways, skipping horizontally across table makes sense.  I couldn't think of a scenario where it would flip, but there you go !
2021-5-10
Use props
itsdavesdrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It happened to me once on a hand launch. I was sitting next to the beach on some grass with sand in front of me. I hand launched and I think I didn't hold it straight or was too casual with holding it and had it angled slightly and it did a U and flipped into the sand. Nothing was broken I was lucky it was a soft landing in sand. But after that I always make sure I hold it flat and make sure it lifts before letting go so it does take off normally.
2021-5-10
Use props
dji_MODDER
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

A friend of mine took off from his car on the roof (glass panorama roof) his dji mini flipped, and crashed on the ground.
2021-5-10
Use props
Mike90210
lvl.3
United States

#WHOOA  @dji_MODDER:   What could cause that?  Why would glass make any difference?
2021-5-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Mike90210 Posted at 5-11 02:06
#WHOOA  @dji_MODDER:   What could cause that?  Why would glass make any difference?

Never take off from a hunk of metal like a car, you are likely to get compass problems being so close to magnetic interference.
2021-5-11
Use props
Savage3006
lvl.4
Flight distance : 156709 ft
United States

The only way it will flip upside down is if you have the blades on wrong ????
2021-5-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules