can I set camera resolution (still frames) on Mavic Pro
827 7 2021-5-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
benkelman
lvl.1

United States

I have a Mavic Pro.  I see how to change the video resolution, but the only settings for still frames are 16:9 and 4:3.  The images are 4000 x 3000 pixels but can I change that to a different resolution?
2021-5-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No you are fixed at this resolution but you can always downscale them later.  Also the 16:9 is just a crop of the 4:3 image.
2021-5-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The images are 4000 x 3000 pixels but can I change that to a different resolution?
Why would you want to shoot at any smaller than 4000 x 3000 anyway?
2021-5-16
Use props
benkelman
lvl.1

United States

Thanks - yes, I can downscale later but that takes an extra step and the 4000 x 3000 resolution frankly is a waste of disk space - it's beyond the optical quality of the lens.  I'm shooting hundreds of nadir photos for processing in Drone2Map so was hoping I could simply record the appropriate resolution at the source.   oh well, thanks for confirming so I can stop searching.  
2021-5-16
Use props
benkelman
lvl.1

United States

Labroides Posted at 5-16 07:04
The images are 4000 x 3000 pixels but can I change that to a different resolution?
Why would you want to shoot at any smaller than 4000 x 3000 anyway?

Labroides, the 4000 x 3000 is oversampling the resolving power of this lens.
2021-5-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

benkelman@yahoo Posted at 5-16 07:10

Congratulations, you've come up with something I've never heard before.

Whether that's true or not, I'm puzzled that you are such a perfectionist pixel peeper and you are using a 12MP Mavic Pro and what you are getting so fussy about mapping jobs.
That's amazing
2021-5-16
Use props
benkelman
lvl.1

United States

I guess I am often guilty of being a perfectionist but to me it just makes sense to optimize your system where possible, and if I'm storing thousands of photos that are (I'm estimating) about 2x oversampled, that's 4x the data volume.  4x the data to store on the SD card, transfer to disk, and then process (either to generate data products or downsample 2x first).  
I can't tell if you're interested in this but I'll shoot some resolution targets and post an example of what I mean - but that'll take a week or two - need to build the targets first.

I assume your comment about the 12MP Mavic Pro means "if resolution, accuracy, etc. are so important, get a better drone" and you're right that this is not a high end/professional drone - but it's mostly hobby and research for me, so I started with what I could afford.

Thx
2021-5-16
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

benkelman@yahoo Posted at 5-16 20:45
I guess I am often guilty of being a perfectionist  but to me it just makes sense to optimize your system where possible, and if I'm storing thousands of photos that are (I'm estimating) about 2x oversampled, that's 4x the data volume.  4x the data to store on the SD card, transfer to disk, and then process (either to generate data products or downsample 2x first).  I'm can't tell if you're interested in this but I'll shoot some resolution targets and post an example of what I mean - but that'll take a week or two - need to build the targets first.

I assume your comment about the 12MP Mavic Pro means "if resolution, accuracy, etc. are so important, get a better drone" and you're right that this is not a high end/professional drone - but it's mostly hobby and research for me, so I started with what I could afford.

Very well said.
2021-5-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules