120m Altitude Limit Potentially Dangerous?
5770 19 2021-5-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Muzanshin
lvl.1
United States

I started flying a DJI mini 2 about a month ago and noticed a hard coded altitude limit that can't be bypassed. Seems like it could cause issues in mountainous regions and other areas where you can basically ground the drone due to slope or other structures, because you end up only a few feet from the actual ground level and then can't perform an emergency maneuvers if necessary to avoid people, vehicles, and other objects with such a hard limit if something were to go wrong ( you can't go down due to physical limits, software prevents going up, and horizontal movement may be limited due to moving people, objects, etc.; seems like DJI just leaves you left with a potential crash course into the people, vehicle, etc. you want to avoid).

I'm currently working on a UAS minor (potentially major) and studying the rules and regulation around drone flight and it would seem such a built in limit prevents compliance with certain current US laws under certain circumstances (i.e. avoidance of people, vehicles, etc.).

There are other limitations built into the device that would seem to prevent compliance with certain laws under various circumstances too, which also doesn't begin to delve into some consumer protections, but another thread for another time.

Any way to overcome these limitations? Custom firmware or other means? If the current software doesn't allow you to avoid people and other obstacles, it seems like it could be an issue in the future as drones become increasingly popular.

2021-5-16
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

In Europe height limitation in most countries = 120 meter above ground level where you drone is flying! , so height enough to fly yourself free of any dangerous situation.....  ;-)

cheers
JJB
2021-5-16
Use props
Muzanshin
lvl.1
United States

JJB* Posted at 5-16 12:11
Hi,

In Europe height limitation in most countries = 120 meter above ground level where you drone is flying! , so height enough to fly yourself free of any dangerous situation.....  ;-)

The problem I am running into is that the DJI software calculates the max height from the launch point and not above where the drone is flying. This means if I launch and fly directly up 120m and then proceed to move horizontally, it will eventually ground itself due to being unable to fly higher than the limitation from the original launch point; i.e. flying up slope on a mountainside.

This means if you end up flying near mountain bikers, hikers, climbers, etc. that are at a higher elevation than where you launched, there are extremely limited options for maneuvering around them.

However, if you launch the drone from a higher position on the hill/mountain slope, you can fly 400ft above that and back down to your original launch position, as well as back up again (despite being able to fly up there originally), due to calculating a "negative" altitude.

Technically in the U.S., the FAA rule is 120m/400ft above actual ground level, which excludes extending that height above structures such as buildings by that amount (floors of a building are above ground level). There are some limitations measure from an altitude ceiling (something like 500ft from cloud level? Which is like somewhere around 10,00ft) for the class of airspace, but most drone pilots don't seem likely to ever reach them.

I'll see if I can post a video of what I mean at some point; it will be away from people to avoid potential hazards at the altitude, but should still clarify.
2021-5-16
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

All DJI drones can be changed in the settings to a max of 500m (1640ft). 120m is the default max height, but can be changed up to 500m.  I would highly encourage to follow applicable local laws.  
2021-5-16
Use props
K9JDN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 893819 ft
  • >>>
United States

In the DJI Fly app (V.1.4.0) I am able to change my Max Altitude value (under the Safety tab) to a maximum of 500m/1640ft.  Doing so may violate local laws/regulations, but DJI warns you and forces you to select "Agree" if you wish to modify the Max Altitude value. This seems to me that it would allow you to fly up slope on a mountainside, or above an obstacle, higher than 400ft/120m above your launch point at takeoff.  I've never flown my Mini 2 in a mountainous area, therefore I can not speak from experience, but it would seem reasonable to me that you can go higher than 400 ft. above your launch point if the terrain you were flying over dictated it.  Of course, you would be restricted to the Mini 2's Maximum Service Ceiling Above Sea Level which is 4000m.
2021-5-16
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

Muzanshin Posted at 5-16 12:55
The problem I am running into is that the DJI software calculates the max height from the launch point and not above where the drone is flying. This means if I launch and fly directly up 120m and then proceed to move horizontally, it will eventually ground itself due to being unable to fly higher than the limitation from the original launch point; i.e. flying up slope on a mountainside.

This means if you end up flying near mountain bikers, hikers, climbers, etc. that are at a higher elevation than where you launched, there are extremely limited options for maneuvering around them.

I don't know if you have the VLOS rule in the US. But in most countries you have to fly in VLOS. If you put the max height of 500m, I doubt you're able to see the mini at that height above you.

The height is indeed calculated from where you take off. If you want to follow mountain climbers onto a slope and you take off from the top of the mountain, you won't have a problem. Doing so from ground level will limit your max height indeed.

But it is questionable if flying a mini 2 which has no colision detection at all is safe to fly around climbers or other persons at such a distance away from you.

Flying a drone is solely the responsibility of the operator. I don't think DJI will ever want to change the max. height option. It does not measure the height to the ground level. It takes the height from the barometer at the starting point and adds the presure of the settings of the max. height.
The only way it measures the distance to the ground is at low level when the bottom sensors kick in to land the drone.

2021-5-16
Use props
Muzanshin
lvl.1
United States

Think I found the setting for adjusting the altitude. I'll try to see if it solves my problem (it should). Thanks for the advice!

As far as local laws go; learning that as part of the drone minor and to get the part 107 (cash grab in my opinion, but I digress).  Keep it in line of sight and everything anyways, because signals can quickly go from full to none in the canyons and mountain areas I'm in.

I do wish they would allow you to look at the settings without having everything connected and turned on though; would make it easier to figure this stuff out than when you're out and about and focused on flying; maybe I'm missing something here too though?
2021-5-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Muzanshin Posted at 5-16 19:11
Think I found the setting for adjusting the altitude. I'll try to see if it solves my problem (it should). Thanks for the advice!

As far as local laws go; learning that as part of the drone minor and to get the part 107 (cash grab in my opinion, but I digress).  Keep it in line of sight and everything anyways, because signals can quickly go from full to none in the canyons and mountain areas I'm in.

I do wish they would allow you to look at the settings without having everything connected and turned on though; would make it easier to figure this stuff out than when you're out and about and focused on flying; maybe I'm missing something here too though?

What you are missing is that many of those settings are stored in the drone itself.
There's no way to access them unless you cannect to the drone.
2021-5-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

K9JDN Posted at 5-16 13:41
In the DJI Fly app (V.1.4.0) I am able to change my Max Altitude value (under the Safety tab) to a maximum of 500m/1640ft.  Doing so may violate local laws/regulations, but DJI warns you and forces you to select "Agree" if you wish to modify the Max Altitude value. This seems to me that it would allow you to fly up slope on a mountainside, or above an obstacle, higher than 400ft/120m above your launch point at takeoff.  I've never flown my Mini 2 in a mountainous area, therefore I can not speak from experience, but it would seem reasonable to me that you can go higher than 400 ft. above your launch point if the terrain you were flying over dictated it.  Of course, you would be restricted to the Mini 2's Maximum Service Ceiling Above Sea Level which is 4000m.

I am able to change my Max Altitude value (under the Safety tab) to a maximum of 500m/1640ft.  Doing so may violate local laws/regulations
Changing the user-configurable Max Altitude Limit doesn't violate any regulations.
It how you fly the drone that matters.
2021-5-16
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

If you plan your flight, including wind direction, terrain and alternative emergency landing spots, I can't see where the problem is.
From your post, I get the impression you don't seek out a high enough takeoff and control point to start with.
I have seen droners flying up from the carpark on the road at Corfe Castle (see attached picture I took of the place) just because they are too lazy to fly safe. I am sure most safe droners will realise that there is every chance the drone will lose connection as it flies behind the castle or similar high spot. I climbed the opposite hill so I could be sure of the wind at that height and see what I was doing. If I can manage it at 73, younger people should manage it easily.
Planning is key to avoiding your problem.
DJI_0009 Corfe Castle VidExtact LowRes.jpg
DJI_0009 Corfe Castle VidExtract LowRes.jpg
DJI_0015 Plan view of Corfe Castle LowRes.jpg
2021-5-17
Use props
Muzanshin
lvl.1
United States

So far, K9JDN has been the only user that has provided a meaningful response, which seemed to have resolved the issue the thread was created to address. Thanks again K9JDN.

If you want to complain about getting people off your lawn, do it in another thread. Thread needs to be closed.
2021-5-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Muzanshin Posted at 5-17 07:16
So far, K9JDN has been the only user that has provided a meaningful response, which seemed to have resolved the issue the thread was created to address. Thanks again K9JDN.

If you want to complain about getting people off your lawn, do it in another thread. Thread needs to be closed.

So far, K9JDN has been the only user that has provided a meaningful response
You missed the reply before his.
That explained the situation perfectly.
2021-5-17
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks Muzanshin to complain about all people in this thread who wants to help you.
Guess all your next questions will be not answered by many.....

But K9kDN was wrong in his answer....setting height limit to 500 meter does not mean you are violating local rules / law ect, by far NOT.

Only flying as a remote pilot outside rules = violating rules, law ect.

All the best and happy many landings,

cheers
JJB
2021-5-17
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not sure what your problem is, but I gave the correct meaningful response first. But who’s counting…. Lol!

Had you wanted to save yourself some frustration and time, you could have taken about 30 seconds to look through the menus and found the answer to your question before you even wasted your time asking it.

Or had you taken 30 seconds, you could have searched on Google or via this forum for how to change the max height for a DJI drone. When you don’t take the time to try to help educate yourself first, don’t be surprised/upset when others try to help educate you.
2021-5-17
Use props
Sascha.ES
lvl.4
Spain

KlooGee Posted at 2021-5-16 13:16
All DJI drones can be changed in the settings to a max of 500m (1640ft). 120m is the default max height, but can be changed up to 500m.  I would highly encourage to follow applicable local laws.

Sorry but that is wrong since the new version!
2023-6-25
Use props
dnddad324
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12536706 ft
United States

Sascha.ES Posted at 6-25 12:09
Sorry but that is wrong since the new version!

Actually, but KlooGee is correct. flyapp.png
355835119_178013545037337_4686961698554545550_n.jpg
354767031_639597588086306_8985620290403101189_n.jpg
354766277_247960601273362_333839637733649062_n.jpg
2023-6-25
Use props
djiuser_xOGDDXryKh0z
lvl.1

United States

JJB* Posted at 2021-5-16 12:11
Hi,

I live in a valley and with hills that surround me I have to exceed the 120m in order to get above the trees. The main reason aside from having fun when going out of town was to keep an eye on my property and the animals on it. Nt being able to go above 120m I will be left with a drone that will be collecting dust.
2023-11-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_xOGDDXryKh0z Posted at 11-4 18:40
I live in a valley and with hills that surround me I have to exceed the 120m in order to get above the trees. The main reason aside from having fun when going out of town was to keep an eye on my property and the animals on it. Nt being able to go above 120m I will be left with a drone that will be collecting dust.

Nt being able to go above 120m I will be left with a drone that will be collecting dust.
I would type out the solution for you, but if you read just a few posts up, it's already there.
2023-11-4
Use props
udovich
lvl.1
Flight distance : 309219 ft
Slovenia

This is the same as limiting the speed of vehicles to 130 km/h, because that is the speed that can be driven on most roads. However, manufacturers still produce vehicles that go up to 250 km/h. I suggest that DJI remove the 120m height limit. if an individual violates this, he should be punished by the persons performing supervision. that's easy.
1-5 00:29
Use props
cyan
Ban Posts
Flight distance : 202326 ft
United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
1-6 21:52
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules