Latest DJI FLY update (iOS) takes away phone charging
5495 29 2021-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Parker Wombat
lvl.2

United States

The latest iOS update for the FLY app takes away the ability to charge your phone from the RC. DJI claims it "automatically" charges your phone but that is completely incorrect:

Here is a video showing this:   https://youtu.be/MumDKNnOPEw

I wish they would actually check these things before pushing out an update...

2021-5-19
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yea its not automatic, I have also confirmed this and Fly app/RC is NOT charging my iPhone or iPad.  
2021-5-19
Use props
SJS Images
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Same here, charges for a second when first connected then stops
2021-5-19
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Did it ever charge iOS devices? For more than a second after initially connecting?
2021-5-19
Use props
Parker Wombat
lvl.2

United States

Ex Machina Posted at 5-19 09:23
Did it ever charge iOS devices? For more than a second after initially connecting?

Sure did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MumDKNnOPEw
2021-5-19
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Parker Wombat Posted at 5-19 09:51
Sure did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MumDKNnOPEw

Thanks for that -- it's kind of amusing because with the Mavic series and DJI Go 4 iOS devices never charged and Android users were miffed that they couldn't turn off charging. I assumed there were architectural restrictions on both platforms to explain the delta. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
2021-5-19
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Comes down to "danged if you do and danged if you don't"
2021-5-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Im so pleased they dropped this feature,   nearly every time the app was updated it would reset the off back to on,  and I really have no need or want for the controller to charge my iPhone.  
2021-5-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Parker Wombat. Thanks for reaching out! Turning off charging for iOS devices has been removed in the latest version of the DJI Fly and designed to charge iOS devices automatically by default.

Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the DJI Fly and see if that could resolve the mentioned problem? If you do and the problem continues, we would appreciate uploading a screen recording of the problem so we can further check it and include what specific iOS device you're using. Thanks!

2021-5-20
Use props
Parker Wombat
lvl.2

United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-20 00:38
Hi, Parker Wombat. Thanks for reaching out! Turning off charging for iOS devices has been removed in the latest version of the DJI Fly and designed to charge iOS devices automatically by default.

Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the DJI Fly and see if that could resolve the mentioned problem? If you do and the problem continues, we would appreciate uploading a screen recording of the problem so we can further check it and include what specific iOS device you're using. Thanks!

Hi Gamora: As you can see from the posts above - it is NOT automatic. It is a bug. It does not charge. It doesn't charge when plugged into the RC. Please refer to the posts above.
2021-5-20
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-20 00:38

I uninstalled the app on my iPad, then reinstalled it again. Same results- No device charging for iOS; NOT automatic as mentioned or documented. Linked video in post #1 should suffice
2021-5-20
Use props
Parker Wombat
lvl.2

United States

RobZilla Posted at 5-20 06:47
I uninstalled the app on my iPad, then reinstalled it again. Same results- No device charging for iOS; NOT automatic as mentioned or documented. Linked video in post #1 should suffice

Yep. This is a bug in the app. And it is clearly replicable. DJI can verify this in approximately 2 seconds instead of asking customers for more and more info that isn't necessary.

More disturbingly, it shows 100% that DJI doesn't test their app properly before pushing out "updates". That's quite problematic.
2021-5-20
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Parker Wombat Posted at 5-20 06:39
Hi Gamora: As you can see from the posts above - it is NOT automatic. It is a bug. It does not charge. It doesn't charge when plugged into the RC. Please refer to the posts above.

Thanks for confirming and this has been forwarded already to our assigned department. Should there be any updates, we'll immediately let you know.
2021-5-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Do you want it auto or would you prefer option ? Because if this was sorted then we could get rid of half the threads posted here. I see many complaining about Phone draining RC , Now I read many wanting it Auto , head scratching stuff, but I suppose if you have a you tube channel you get to make two vlogs ;+)
2021-5-21
Use props
Parker Wombat
lvl.2

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-21 02:59
Do you want it auto or would you prefer option ? Because if this was sorted then we could get rid of half the threads posted here. I see many complaining about Phone draining RC , Now I read many wanting it Auto , head scratching stuff, but I suppose if you have a you tube channel you get to make two vlogs ;+)

It doesn't matter if it's auto or a selection. Forcing it to not charge is an issue. And most of us don't have Youtube channels. We just know this was a bug that wasn't even checked before release.
2021-5-21
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

RobZilla Posted at 5-20 06:47
I uninstalled the app on my iPad, then reinstalled it again. Same results- No device charging for iOS; NOT automatic as mentioned or documented. Linked video in post #1 should suffice

Are you testing with an iOS device that has a depleted battery or one that's topped off? If the latter, I'm wondering if the remote is just turning off charging as it's not needed?
2021-5-21
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 5-21 05:58
Are you testing with an iOS device that has a depleted battery or one that's topped off? If the latter, I'm wondering if the remote is just turning off charging as it's not needed?

I tested on my iPhone & iPad at 80% or more which should be sufficient to require a charge. Unfortunately it kept on depleting after a few minutes. I agree if it's maybe topped off at 95% or more it should not require charging but when you look back at when we had the switch, it would charge/top off no matter what battery percentage it was.
2021-5-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Parker Wombat Posted at 5-21 04:42
It doesn't matter if it's auto or a selection. Forcing it to not charge is an issue. And most of us don't have Youtube channels. We just know this was a bug that wasn't even checked before release.

So you want it to charge your phone, many don’t , why would not charging be a problem ? I think option is the only way to sort this once and for all….
2021-5-21
Use props
Parker Wombat
lvl.2

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-21 06:12
So you want it to charge your phone, many don’t , why would not charging be a problem ? I think option is the only way to sort this once and for all….

There *was* an option to self-select. Yet they removed that. Again, they took something that wasn't broken, and removed that option and didn't replace it. They then said it was "intended" to charge by default. Yet, it doesn't. So they clearly didn't test it.

But thanks for your input.
2021-5-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Parker Wombat Posted at 5-21 09:02
There *was* an option to self-select. Yet they removed that. Again, they took something that wasn't broken, and removed that option and didn't replace it. They then said it was "intended" to charge by default. Yet, it doesn't. So they clearly didn't test it.

But thanks for your input.

I’m sure it was an oversight and next FW will sort it.
2021-5-21
Use props
Parker Wombat
lvl.2

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-21 10:42
I’m sure it was an oversight and next FW will sort it.

Thanks for being sure. But what you think doesn't really matter.

Secondly, it isn't a "FW" issue. It is an "app" issue. They wanted to make it charge by "default". Yet they didn't even test it. That's disturbing.

2021-5-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Parker Wombat Posted at 5-21 10:44

Secondly, it isn't a "FW" issue. It is an "app" issue. They wanted to make it charge by "default". Yet they didn't even test it. That's disturbing.

Its still difficult to know what it is your looking for or maybe your just want to whine, and although you think what i think doesn’t matter the same could be said about yourself.
Maybe start a thread that has an opinion rather than a rant….
2021-5-21
Use props
Parker Wombat
lvl.2

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-21 11:29
Its still difficult to know what it is your looking for or maybe your just want to whine, and although you think what i think doesn’t matter the same could be said about yourself.
Maybe start a thread that has an opinion rather than a rant….

Anyone ever call you a "shill"?
Just wondering
2021-5-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Parker Wombat Posted at 5-21 11:51
Anyone ever call you a "shill"?
Just wondering

Once again posting , but nothing that makes sense. I don’t think you’re here to move anything forward, just to insult people. My guess is you don’t even have a drone and you’re just trolling…..
2021-5-21
Use props
Parker Wombat
lvl.2

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-21 12:32
Once again posting , but nothing that makes sense. I don’t think you’re here to move anything forward, just to insult people. My guess is you don’t even have a drone and you’re just trolling…..

Move along now.
2021-5-21
Use props
MuzAus
New

Australia

DJI has acknowledged the problem in the youtube comments but hasn't released a fix yet... until that happens I will be grounded because my old SE doesn't have a battery good enough to last a few minutes of flight
2021-5-21
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Parker Wombat Posted at 5-20 06:39

Sorry for the inconvenience that it has caused. This has been forwarded already to our engineers and will be fixed accordingly via an update as soon as possible. Thank you for your great support and understanding.
2021-5-21
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Parker Wombat Posted at 5-21 10:44

As someone who works as a software tester, it could also be that dev was assigned the task of removing the option to charge, interpreted that directive as to removing the charge facility completely rather than just the UI option. Then QA confirms that the feature was removed  as per developer comments and passes the app for deployment.

Been there, done that; communication can be hard.

I'm wondering why folks thought that the control over the charging feature should be removed in the first place -- was it confusing users and generating an inordinate amount of tech support requests or product returns? Was the feature problematic across the range of supported iOS devices?

Anyway, good to know it'll be addressed in a future update. I think I'd like the ability to toggle charging. I've never depleted my remote while out flying with 3 batteries, but often have run out of phone juice. On the other hand, charging generates heat and I've flown in hot weather where extra heat would shut down my device, so  a charging toggle would be helpful for me.
2021-5-22
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

MuzAus Posted at 5-21 22:10
DJI has acknowledged the problem in the youtube comments but hasn't released a fix yet... until that happens I will be grounded because my old SE doesn't have a battery good enough to last a few minutes of flight

Yikes! Time to replace that battery, or do you only use it for flying?
2021-5-22
Use props
tushevs
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1999514 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wen charging my phone gets hotter and dimes down the brightness of the screen, I can not disable the charging now, slider I gone!
2021-6-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules