Best Way to Have Mavic Pro Platinum Track a Phantom 3?
336 5 2021-5-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nnhood
lvl.1

United States

I was wondering if anyone used ActiveTrack on a Mavic Pro Platinum to track a Phantom 3 Pro?   Was just trying this yesterday and it couldn't maintain the lock on the target.
It follows me find... probably just too small of a target.

I do have Airspace and Autopilot, I've tracked my cell phone while riding my harley before with the Phantom, but never tracked another drone.
I have an iPhone and iPad, the Iphone has cellular but the iPad does not.

Can you you do this all with one mobile device or have to have both running on their own devices.

Thanks,
Matt

2021-5-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

To the best of my knowledge, no-one has ever managed to get drone to track a drone.
2021-5-21
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I once tried to track a Mini with an MA2 and it did not work (different devices). As said above, too small and more importantly....not a type of target that is supported type (person, vehicle, or boat)...and no, I don't know how it tells the difference ;-)
2021-5-21
Use props
Mats Bohlinsson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1838077 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

GaryDoug Posted at 5-21 22:04
I once tried to track a Mini with an MA2 and it did not work (different devices). As said above, too small and more importantly....not a type of target that is supported type (person, vehicle, or boat)...and no, I don't know how it tells the difference ;-)

I've done something similar.

I used one of the drones as a gps-tracker, and have the 2nd drone to follow that. I've used it for calculating the gps-lag/occusync and testing my followme app. Kindoff replaced the gps info from a trackeer device with the gps-info from the drone instead.

I actually planned for a feature like that in my custom app, which never gets finnished :-)

It gets quite complicated though, since you have to run two separate instances of the app on different remotes/phones, and have them communicate through wifi. But it works. Be prepared to put in some work, because it's not that straight forward as it seems with a first look, at least if you do it from scratch.

I don't think you will have any luck with activetrack, but I can be wrong, I havn't tried it.
2021-5-21
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, nnhood. Thanks for reaching out! In such instances, we doubt that the subject is too small to consistently kept being tracked. Please be advised that the ActiveTrack is designed and suggested to be used for bikes, other vehicles, peoples, and animals.
2021-5-22
Use props
nnhood
lvl.1

United States

Thanks all for your replies, does anyone know of a tracker small enough that I could attach to the phantom and then track the phantom that way in Autopilot/Airspace?  I've seen the Tile brand has some really small trackers now.    I do have a Dual brand GPS and that works great as a target for my boat, this was before I had my Mavic and ActiveTrack.   But that gps unit is too heavy for the Phantom.

I would be neat if DJI put in a "Wingman" feature that you add another drone to the mix and they would follow each other around..

I did find a cool dropper device, range is only 1000 feet, but it works well and I drop little parachute guys for the nieces and nephews.   I cut a hole in the parachute so it doesn't drift away from 100-150 feet up.  Comes more straight down.   I tuck the parachute between the little guys legs and then the device has a rod that holds him in place.   Kind of neat little thing.

Thanks again for your help everyone,
Matt
2021-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules