compass mode
814 4 2021-5-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
philh
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi . Im new to flying a drone. I went to the park to do a test flight and the compass indicator on the map view did not indicate the orientation of the drone.
I came home and tried to fly in my living room. At first same thing: the map dispalyed but I couldnt see anything that indicated the orietation of the drone.
After a while, the map turned a sort of yellow colour and then the drone oreintation arrow appeared. I think it said updating home point.
Cna anyone explain what happened? Why does it sometimes display the drone oreintation and not other?
Some videos say there is a red arrow at the bottom of the screen which you can click on to get a bigger compass view and show you more information on the oreintation of the drone. I dont have that , instead I just have the find my drone box.
Any tips most welcome. Im a total newbie to drone flying. Thanks
2021-5-21
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm not sure what you are saying. But the indicator does not work until the GPS fix is ready...for both drone and phone/tablet. The drones GPS fix is when you get the home point message.

As for a red arrow, perhaps those videos were referencing the Litchi app, not the DJI Fly app. You should see a small map box there in the Fly app, or a direction indicator (blue arrow) depending on your last selection.
2021-5-21
Use props
philh
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Ok So I guess in the cases where I didn't have the indicator, the GPs wasn't ready. I presume I shouldn't fly the drone out of visual range until it is ready? And if it isn't, I just wait? How long would you typically wait to get one? Many thanks
2021-5-22
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

philh Posted at 5-22 02:17
Ok So I guess in the cases where I didn't have the indicator, the GPs wasn't ready. I presume I shouldn't fly the drone out of visual range until it is ready? And if it isn't, I just wait? How long would you typically wait to get one? Many thanks

Hi,

See many video s about flying drones, and learn all the basic pre flight checks.

Best to wait to fly until you hear and see that HomePoint is set, this is done with receiving enough satellites and good reception of the sats. ( 4 bars or more, top right in the fly-app)

Before take off check the compass ; check if the blue arrow in the map view in the fly app is at the same heading as your drone is actual pointing to.

If not ; DO NOT fly, as a compass/yaw error may introduce a fly-away!

see this > https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=225017
its with a previous fly app version but still correct.
Make it easy to check your compass, if you align your drone along (or perpidencular ) a road...than it is easy to see in the map view that the blue arrow is along that road too.

cheers
JJB
2021-5-22
Use props
philh
lvl.2
United Kingdom

ok thank you
2021-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now