Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi guys,
My stepson is visiting next week and I will be giving him my Mini2 and controller/device. He has no drone experience and I will give him all my expertise (hahahaha) along with a tablet to use and a spare battery. We will practice a lot. Anyway, I would like to ask you guys to post some important information or tips for him. I know I will forget something....or a lot. Thank you very much.

2021-5-24
Use props
Donut Michigan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42415 ft
United States

He shouldn’t listen to you haha.     . Just kidding open big field minimum height above trees (don’t ask mr why.
Do not leave it on roof of car and drive away.. ( I now have a mini 2.  Wonder why.
Doug
2021-5-24
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Haha You bet. I  am planning to give him my procedure for first time flight in a new area: Launch and rise to a safe altitude. Then do a 360 and watch for anything appearing above the horizon. If there is anything appearing, then increase altitude until they are not. Set RTH to that altitude plus 20 feet.
2021-5-24
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

If it was me, I would make him watch some drone crash videos on youtube before his first flight Just the right amount to scare him enough to be cautious and pay attention to advice; but not to the extent that he would not enjoy (or even worse, refrain from) flying...
2021-5-24
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Gary,

Most important is to learn him a good before flight check, pre-flight * and after take-off checks.

* minimum how to check compass (map view arrow direction compare with the actual true drone heading at the ground)

Have good fun with learning him all the do and don`ts.

cheers
JJB
2021-5-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there GaryDoug. Good day and thank you for sharing these wonderful information with us. It will be best for him to prepare a preflight checklist every time you fly your DJI Mini 2 to avoid any unwanted incident when operating or flying your DJI Drone. Have a safe and a happy flying always.

2021-5-25
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

All good advice fom those in the know. I hope he has many hours of fun and enjoys your gift.
Also, I hope you have deep pockets when he comes to you in the near future with:- "Dad! you know that Dji FPV/Air 2s, do you think.............."
2021-5-25
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm sure you will not forget anything to pass on.  However, I've found a good pre-flight check to be very important for new fliers.  Good luck and stay patient.
2021-5-25
Use props
whiteghost
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1479705 ft
United Kingdom

Let my nephew fly my drone over weekend!  Best advice I gave him was Not to panic and if you do just let go of BOTH sticks and the drone will
stop and hover were it is, so you can compose yourself and check its Hight and where it is etc before you start flying again?

Done this myself a few times :-)
2021-5-25
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

what really helps me with confidence when i first started flying, similar to when some people first start driving, know the location of brake.  for the mini2 remote, i put a red fluorescent sticky dot on the rth button.  there's no time to read labels and looking for buttons when timing is everything.  i practiced using that button so whenever if ever i got confused or wanted to freeze stand still.  and if i am struggling to regain control and ready to give up, press and hold.  i labeled because i flew multiple drones and 5 different remotes 5 different buttons.

i understand dropping the remote or letting go of both sticks works but for me, that's not intuitive and it's not natural to be honest, it never worked when my drone was crashing.  every time my drone was out of control, the drone never froze in place by letting go of the sticks. ;) maybe sending a pause or rth might work.  but yes it is true, the drone probably crashed into the tree trunk because you actually flew it into the tree trunk which tells you it isn't intuitive to just let go to avoid a collision (drone drifting notwithstanding).

anyway, you get my point.  the pause button is your friend.  close your eyes, squeeze that button, and pray.
i was going to say "....and don't trust the sensors" but there are none.
2021-5-25
Use props
Chanc3
lvl.2
Canada

My advise would be to teach him how the quickshots work, with regards to movement / behaviour of the drone. This way he knows the limitations on when and where he can use quickshots without risk of crashing.
I understand that not everyone uses quickshots, but since your son is new to drones, i'm inclined to think that he will try using all available features.
2021-5-25
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17352513 ft
Sweden

whiteghost Posted at 5-25 04:16
Let my nephew fly my drone over weekend!  Best advice I gave him was Not to panic and if you do just let go of BOTH sticks and the drone will
stop and hover were it is, so you can compose yourself and check its Hight and where it is etc before you start flying again?

That I agree with. Plus know where the pause button is if you panic or do not know what to do. Practise this to be able to think of what you are doing when something goes wrong and to compose yourself. As earlier said, restrict speed, distance and height on an open field. That is how I started after reading a lot in tthes forums first.
2021-5-25
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

To add to DJI Stephen, JJB, etc.,

Pre launch: Check your RTH settings (height & mode)
Set to Normal mode, as it starts in this mode regardless of switch setting
Check wind conditions before take off
Check your Satellites Locked
Check RTH has been updated before moving from home point

Make sure he knows the rules about flying over people, vehicles, night flights, 250 gram limit, etc.
Also, let him know to have fun!
2021-5-25
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Also great gift!
2021-5-25
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for all the info. I probably should have mentioned that he is about 55 years old ;-)
2021-5-25
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 5-25 11:04
Thanks for all the info. I probably should have mentioned that he is about 55 years old ;-)

Oh! In that case, his own pockets will be deep enough.
2021-5-26
Use props
marc70
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4762470 ft
Canada

GaryDoug Posted at 5-25 11:04

Oh, well, how old are you?
I'm 62, seeing as I'm asking a nonofmybusiness question.
2021-5-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I’m Suprised you didn’t get any “I’ll be your step son” posts.
2021-5-26
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

marc70 Posted at 5-26 05:58
Oh, well, how old are you?
I'm 62, seeing as I'm asking a nonofmybusiness question.

I am 74.

I still have an extra Mini 1 available if anyone wants to be adopted ;-)
2021-5-26
Use props
aykutaltindag
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27687 ft
Turkey

yogi053 Posted at 5-25 03:01
All good advice fom those in the know. I hope he has many hours of fun and enjoys your gift.
Also, I hope you have deep pockets when he comes to you in the near future with:- "Dad! you know that Dji FPV/Air 2s, do you think.............."

Lol , join this idea. I think ; he will want 2s
2021-5-26
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 5-26 14:18
I am 74.

I still have an extra Mini 1 available if anyone wants to be adopted ;-)

Beat me by 2 years Gary! Stay safe!
2021-5-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice gift!
Most has been said already.
I think the best way is to focus on the flying part first. Once you master that, move on to the capturing part.
Know the legislation and respect other's feelings (about drones, although that is more a general rule hahahahaha)
Take it slow!
2021-5-27
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thanks to everyone again. My step son flew his Mini 2 in his first real flight over the water and up and down a beach many times, 2076 feet max distance for 18 minutes yesterday. Except for the usual jerkiness of his novice panning, he did very well and landed it on the mat in the boat perfectly. He is very happy with it.
2021-6-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules