914 15 2021-5-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
IrishD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 140951 ft
Ireland

Hi all....
Today I got up early and made my way to the scenic Wicklow mountains, which is not far from Dublin where i live.
Weather was perfect but unfortunately i'm still pretty NooB when it comes to camera settings, shutter speeds, exposures etc...
And so I was once again disappointed when I got back home and viewed in full res (no fault of the mini2 but all down to my manual camera settings)
But I managed to land this Great shot which I just had to share with you all
https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... xi/view?usp=sharing

What I did learn though, is I deffo need them ND filters i've been hearing about so much!
The other problem i'm having is trying to see the screen of my phone when the sun is up... I feel this is making the learning curve of camera settings even steeper, are them phone hoods i've seen on Amazon any use ?

Cheers.
2021-5-30
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17352513 ft
Sweden

Hi,
Best shot ever I have seen. Pretty sharp though.
I have read a lot about this ND filters by many people and I can for my life not really see how important they are, except in very special circumstances, like making running water fuzzy etc. But I like other experts comment on this, as I am not an expert in this area. Perhaps I can learn something new also. Cheers.
2021-5-30
Use props
IrishD
lvl.3
Ireland

kyalami Posted at 5-30 11:02
Hi,
Best shot ever I have seen. Pretty sharp though.
I have read a lot about this ND filters by many people and I can for my life not really see how important they are, except in very special circumstances, like making running water fuzzy etc. But I like other experts comment on this, as I am not an expert in this area. Perhaps I can learn something new also. Cheers.

I've been trying to stay off AUTO settings on the camera.
Some things i've been reading say u should aim for a shutter speed that's double your FPS,  in my case i was recording in 2.7 50fps so set a shutter of 1/100 but I was getting washed out alot when viewing in fullres when i got home that i wasn't noticing at the time.

but yes some more expert opinions/tips are welcome  
2021-5-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there IrishD. Good day and thank you for sharing these information with us. In addition to this I will post a DJI Forum link on DJI Mini 2 CINEMATIC TUTORIAL: Movement and Ideas Easy for Beginners ( https://forum.dji.com/thread-241252-1-1.html ) created by one of our fellow DJI co pilots. I hope this can help you as well. Thank you.
2021-5-30
Use props
smbishop
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1786919 ft
  • >>>
United States

Excellent photo!  I am 2 months into this and have the ND and screen shade.  The ND filters have been excellent for videos and manual mode following the 180 rule.  The screen shade helps a lot in the bright Texas sun, here!

Keep on flying and practicing!
2021-5-31
Use props
IrishD
lvl.3
Ireland

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-30 19:24
Hello there IrishD. Good day and thank you for sharing these information with us. In addition to this I will post a DJI Forum link on DJI Mini 2 CINEMATIC TUTORIAL: Movement and Ideas Easy for Beginners ( https://forum.dji.com/thread-241252-1-1.html ) created by one of our fellow DJI co pilots. I hope this can help you as well. Thank you.

I'll check it out, Thanks for the tip !
2021-5-31
Use props
IrishD
lvl.3
Ireland

smbishop Posted at 5-31 03:55
Excellent photo!  I am 2 months into this and have the ND and screen shade.  The ND filters have been excellent for videos and manual mode following the 180 rule.  The screen shade helps a lot in the bright Texas sun, here!

Keep on flying and practicing!

Thanks for the comment

Think I'll order the filters and hood later today, just not sure which make of ND filters to go with Freewell or Skyreat
2021-5-31
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great shot.    I use ND filters on an as needed basis.  Sun hood does help a bunch.  
2021-5-31
Use props
ozoffi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 55128 ft
Austria

What exactly do you expect from an ND filter?
The camera has a fixed aperture - if you cannot regulate the amount of light using FPS and shutter speed, only then do you need an ND filter.

If you want to make quick horizontal pans at low FPS (25/30) and you cannot extend the shutter speed due to a lot of light, then you also need an ND filter.

However, if you either film with high FPS (50/60) or you make pans accordingly slow (at 25FPS not faster than 6 degrees / second), ND filers are rarely / not required.I recommend filming the rest of the manual setting a little lighter, so that may be possible. digital noise can be minimized.
2021-5-31
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17352513 ft
Sweden

ozoffi Posted at 5-31 04:41
The camera has a fixed aperture - if you cannot regulate the amount of light using FPS and shutter speed, only then do you need an ND filter.

Thanks for your explanation ozoffi.
2021-5-31
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

ND filters! No you don't need them. Read up on Wiki http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Neutral_density_filter and understand what they do and why they are used. Forget all that twaddle you hear on YouTube about the 180 rule and motion blur. You need the fastest shutter speed to eliminate motion blur. Actually, if you have motion blur issues, you are shooting the video incorrectly. Most likely, too close to the subject or wrong angle as you shoot. Ask yourself why TV manufactures and smart phone companies are producing kit with frame rates of 120 fps. If a slow 25 fps was cinematic, then they would be limiting their products to that. Drone cameras are able to cope well with blindingly bright sunlight without any ND filters.
2021-5-31
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

smbishop Posted at 5-31 03:55

Keep on flying and practicing!

so, you make a slow frame rate video to play back on your TV or smartphone which has a 60 or 120 fps rate. Why would you do this? The 108 rule is so outdated and stems from the days of hand cranked film cameras. Are you a Vinyl is better than digital fanatic? They have odd reasons as well.
Don't use the word 'Cinematic' to justify the use of the 180 rule. If you are making a film, then it will be 'Cinematic' whether it is awesome or dreadful. It has nothing to do with quality.
cinematic
[sɪnɪˈmatɪk]
ADJECTIVE
relating to the cinema.
"cinematic output"
synonyms:
realistic · true to life · representational · faithful · authentic · exact · precise · detailed · vivid · graphic · natural · naturalistic · convincing · undistorted · photographic · filmic · speaking · factual
having qualities characteristic of films.
"the cinematic feel of their video"
2021-5-31
Use props
IrishD
lvl.3
Ireland

ozoffi Posted at 5-31 04:41
The camera has a fixed aperture - if you cannot regulate the amount of light using FPS and shutter speed, only then do you need an ND filter.

That's exactly the type of info I was hoping to get, thanks !

I'm not expecting any miracles from the filters but just want to have as many tools at my disposal as I can get, and these have been getting a lot of recommendations on youtube.

I've learned a good bit about relation between fps and shutter speed but ISO is still a bit of a mystery to me.

One of the shots i went for yesterday (sorry i don't have a clip to post here yet) was low level along a forest path. I can't remember but I may have switched to AUTO mode at this point.
At the time it looked ok on the phone but after full-res playback it was very grainy,, the subtitles show the ISO was at 3200.
so another question I have is,,, was it iso setting that brought the grain ? and if so, what's the point in iso and what is its relation to the other settings ?

Think i need to go do a photography course at this rate   

Thanks again for all the comments
2021-5-31
Use props
smbishop
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1786919 ft
  • >>>
United States

IrishD Posted at 5-31 04:30
Thanks for the comment  

Think I'll order the filters and hood later today, just not sure which make of ND filters to go with Freewell or Skyreat

I bought the Skyreat, because I was able to get 6 vs. 4 Freewell at the same price point.  One Youtuber who I respect, said go for the best price between the two, so I did.  At this point I am very happy with the results and glad I bought them, and use them.
2021-5-31
Use props
ozoffi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 55128 ft
Austria

ISO indicates the light sensitivity of the film and comes from analog times ... The higher the ISO value, the coarser the film, but the light sensitivity it is.  Applied to CCD chips, it means that the digital noise is stronger at high ISO values.  If possible then film with ISO 100 and 50 or 60 FPS.  Yes, very good lighting conditions are required for this ...
2021-5-31
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

IrishD Posted at 5-31 04:22
I'll check it out, Thanks for the tip !

Hi there IrishD. Thank you for the reply and you are very much welcome. If you have any other inquiries or any concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help and assist you.  
2021-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules