Flying FPV as a method to becoming a better pilot.
942 4 2015-7-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chris Con
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501175 ft
United States

Here's a personal experience that I'd like to share with everyone that could possibly make you a much better pilot, but more importantly more comfortable with your Inspire 1.  First a bit about me; Some of you may know me from my posts here, but if you've never seen my name pop up on the forums before, I've been an active Inspire 1 user since the product was first released... I absolutely love flying, but I've had issues with my Inspire 1 like many of us have.. Most recently I had a TB48 swell on me while flying, which caused it to lose power and then my Inspire 1 fell about 15 feet from the sky (This was just 5 weeks ago).   It was in flight mode , but by some sort of miracle the only damage was the two cables that connect the gimbal to the bird popped out and had to be resinserted and one broken prop... I've also been very active in all of the testing communities and other areas here that I'm not allowed to talk about..  

So I've recently been trying to fly my Inspire 1 as much as possible to test it whenever I can.  I prefer to go to some amazing area that lacks people so I can just fly without all the questions from the general public and take beautiful photos. But one way for me to fly during the day and crank up as much flight time as possible  is to fly the inspire 1 at my business. I own garden centers.  So what I've recently been doing is flying FPV from my office desk while my outside staff is working as spotters (I believe this is legal FAA wise) and at least for me it's an incredibly liberating experience. For me, when you can't see the Inspire 1, but are simply staring at a screen you remove all of that nervousness of "is $2800 about to fall out of the sky" or "am I too close to that tree"...... When you are flying these somewhat boring, repetitive flights simply because you are helping test the Inspire and then completely remove yourself from the fear of it crashing, It's really liberating..  Flight controls almost become "muscle memory" and you are able to fly with much more nuanced techniques then if you were staring at the bird and then staring at the screen and then staring at the bird and that constant back and forth switching..

Too Long, Didn't Read...  Get a spotter and a location where if anything goes wrong it's completely fine, seperate yourself from the bird and just trust your judgement and  fly the Inspire 1 like it's an extension of you.  It's really amazing and in this form I'm really able to appreciate how amazing this quadcopter is as well as develop my skills much faster than before.

2015-7-20
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

This is all great and I am happy for you that you find so much joy in flying.

Doing it FPV style is actually the easiest way to fly ... It becomes very much like a video game.
It´s the "nose in" where everything is backwards that is the tricky part ...

In Sweden it´s not allowed to fly this way ...
2015-7-21
Use props
Overmind
lvl.4
Flight distance : 595538 ft
Australia

I love the idea.  Been wanting to go that way.  My only concern is hen one does have to fly 'normally', that ones skill with reverse controls aren't good enough?  (I.e. When you're flying toward you, etc.)

2015-7-21
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Not something we are permitted under the recreational regs to do here in Australia, but I'm glad it is working for you.
How do your spotters communicate with you if there is an issue? 2-way radio?
2015-7-21
Use props
BoostedPhantom
lvl.2

United States

^ yea if you're not communicating with your spotters then whats the point. But regardless spotters are unnecessary if you are just flying for fun/practice.
2015-7-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules