Mavic Air 2S ADS-B, Mavic Air 2 no ADS-B. Are you kidding me!!!
1330 23 2021-6-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PAYBACK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 683885 ft
South Africa

Is it true that ALL Mavic Air 2S models regardless of region now have ADS-B? I see the same shop where I bought my MA2 which is a 3W model and has all the necessary hardware for ADS-B to work only to be locked out of this feature by the DJI FLY app and bureaucratic BS 10 months ago, is now advertising the MA2S as having ADS-B. What kind of a joke is this DJI?

2021-6-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes,  they all have Airsense now.
2021-6-21
Use props
PAYBACK
lvl.4
South Africa

DAFlys Posted at 6-21 06:55
Yes,  they all have Airsense now.

So we were lied to? DJI’s story was it had to do with regions??

I’ll tell you what happened here. With them running out of chips early last year they now have a couple of 1000 early model Euro MA2’s with no ADS-B hardware and a couple of thousand units with the hardware.

So instead of unlocking the feature for MA2 euro versions and dealing with a couple thousand p’d off MA2 users that have drones missing “hardware” they paid for and potentially getting dragged to the courts with a class action lawsuit, they disable feature for all Euro MA2’s, bring forward the MA2S launch which effectively hides the blunder under the guise of a “new model”.

Think I’ll investigate a little further. Don’t like getting lied too worse yet paying for hardware I don’t get to use to its full extent. Corporate greed in action right here people.

2021-6-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

PAYBACK Posted at 6-21 07:22
So we were lied to? DJI’s story was it had to do with regions??

I’ll tell you what happened here. With them running out of chips early last year they now have a couple of 1000 early model Euro MA2’s with no ADS-B hardware and a couple of thousand units with the hardware.

You'd think that they would just activate it for anyone with the hardware, instead they disabled it for anyone who had the hardware that wasn't in the USA,  so a USA person traveling to EU would loose the feature. which is not what they said initially.   On the flip side the people that imported theirs from America wasted their money.
2021-6-21
Use props
PAYBACK
lvl.4
South Africa

DAFlys Posted at 6-21 10:00
You'd think that they would just activate it for anyone with the hardware, instead they disabled it for anyone who had the hardware that wasn't in the USA,  so a USA person traveling to EU would loose the feature. which is not what they said initially.   On the flip side the people that imported theirs from America wasted their money.

Yeah who knows how they think. It’s BS if you ask me. Watch this space.
2021-6-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

PAYBACK Posted at 6-21 10:22
Yeah who knows how they think. It’s BS if you ask me. Watch this space.

Lol.  And then there’s all the in equality of the sdk rollout.
2021-6-21
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Currently, only the Mavic Air 2 aircraft released in the United States/Canada have a built-in ADS-B system. We are sorry that the ADS-B function is not available for the aircraft sold in other regions. Please stay tuned to DJI's official website for more information in the future, or leave your mailbox. we will notify you by email once we have received any notifications. Thank you for your understanding and support!
2021-6-21
Use props
PAYBACK
lvl.4
South Africa

Sorry Paladin but please spare me the cut and paste reply. Read the topic and respond.
2021-6-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

PAYBACK Posted at 6-21 20:05
Sorry Paladin but please spare me the cut and paste reply. Read the topic and respond.

I will respond for him. The ADS-B reception capability is no use to you unless your country has put regulations into place for airspace and aircraft to be mandatory.. Even in the US, the uptake is only about 38% for aircraft that are flying in ADS-B Out mandated airspace. It is not a universal system.

You appear to be in South Africa, so the rules there are that all IFR aircraft must carry ADS-B Out equipment post 2020, ADS-B In is optional. Note the VFR aircraft do not need to be equipped under the current regulations, and VFR aircraft are the majority of light aircraft.

2021-6-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 6-21 20:42
I will respond for him. The ADS-B reception capability is no use to you unless your country has put regulations into place for airspace and aircraft to be mandatory.. Even in the US, the uptake is only about 38% for aircraft that are flying in ADS-B Out mandated airspace. It is not a universal system.

You appear to be in South Africa, so the rules there are that all IFR aircraft must carry ADS-B Out equipment post 2020, ADS-B In is optional. Note the VFR aircraft do not need to be equipped under the current regulations, and VFR aircraft are the majority of light aircraft.

Its not far to say that is no use to him,  if it can spot 30% of aircraft thats still better than none,  and quite a few of the aircraft that fly low like police/ambulance helicopters have adopted it.
2021-6-21
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 6-21 11:46
Lol.  And then there’s all the in equality of the sdk rollout.

The lack of SDK for MA2 is definitely a negative.  What the heck was DJI thinking when they made this dumb decision?
2021-6-22
Use props
PAYBACK
lvl.4
South Africa

Geebax Posted at 6-21 20:42
I will respond for him. The ADS-B reception capability is no use to you unless your country has put regulations into place for airspace and aircraft to be mandatory.. Even in the US, the uptake is only about 38% for aircraft that are flying in ADS-B Out mandated airspace. It is not a universal system.

Hi Geebax, as I pointed out in thread March already ( https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 923&pid=2430511) and you have mentioned South Africa is ADS-B ready and it WILL become compulsory after a period of time. My argument it the hardware I paid for does have the capability to receive ADS-B signals and my Country's is setup for it. I paid for the feature I would like to use it.

Why must I be disadvantaged because of uncertainty as to how ADS-B is implemented in Europe?

2021-6-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

PAYBACK Posted at 6-22 04:51
Hi Geebax, as I pointed out in thread March already ( https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=236923&pid=2430511) and you have mentioned South Africa is ADS-B ready and it WILL become compulsory after a period of time. My argument it the hardware I paid for does have the capability to receive ADS-B signals and my Country's is setup for it. I paid for the feature I would like to use it.

Why must I be disadvantaged because of uncertainty as to how ADS-B is implemented in Europe?

What if South Africa decides to implement ADS-B on a different radio frequency to the US one?
2021-6-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-22 04:16
The lack of SDK for MA2 is definitely a negative.  What the heck was DJI thinking when they made this dumb decision?

I suspect its hurting sales of the better models as you could buy a cheaper drone and then add the features you dont get via third party apps.
2021-6-22
Use props
PAYBACK
lvl.4
South Africa

Geebax Posted at 6-22 21:23
What if South Africa decides to implement ADS-B on a different radio frequency to the US one?

We (South Africa) use 1090Mhz. US uses 978 or 1090MHz what is your point?  
2021-6-23
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 6-22 23:17
I suspect its hurting sales of the better models as you could buy a cheaper drone and then add the features you dont get via third party apps.

Unfortunately this is true about hurting sales.   I'm sure Litchi and others used the SDKs to full advantage.   
2021-6-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-23 04:48
Unfortunately this is true about hurting sales.   I'm sure Litchi and others used the SDKs to full advantage.

And they are still yet to fix the sdk for the original Air 2 which is really unstable by some accounts.
2021-6-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

PAYBACK Posted at 6-23 01:40
We (South Africa) use 1090Mhz. US uses 978 or 1090MHz what is your point?

Never mind, I can see you are too confrontational for a rational discussion. I don't engage with hot-heads.
2021-6-23
Use props
PAYBACK
lvl.4
South Africa

Geebax Posted at 6-23 18:53
Never mind, I can see you are too confrontational for a rational discussion. I don't engage with hot-heads.

lol ok guy. You tried to be a hero and “answer” my question on behalf of DJI but when I counter you bring up some nonsensical “what if” scenario that has zero bearing on my original question. I’m not here fir DJI brownie points even though I have been using their products since before they went mainstream and will continue to do so.
2021-6-23
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 6-23 09:39
And they are still yet to fix the sdk for the original Air 2 which is really unstable by some accounts.

Not sure what is up with DJI's software development team.  SDK fix shouldn't be that hard to do.
2021-6-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

PAYBACK Posted at 6-22 04:51
Hi Geebax, as I pointed out in thread March already ( https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=236923&pid=2430511) and you have mentioned South Africa is ADS-B ready and it WILL become compulsory after a period of time. My argument it the hardware I paid for does have the capability to receive ADS-B signals and my Country's is setup for it. I paid for the feature I would like to use it.

Why must you be disadvantaged by not having a useless "feature" that just gives false alarms and promotes a false sense of security?
The thing you are yammering on about is nowhere near as useful as you imagine.
2021-6-24
Use props
PAYBACK
lvl.4
South Africa

Labroides Posted at 6-24 19:27
Why must you be disadvantaged by not having a useless "feature" that just gives false alarms and promotes a false sense of security?
The thing you are yammering on about is nowhere near as useful as you imagine.

I’ll decide that for myself thank you very much.
2021-6-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

PAYBACK Posted at 6-24 20:43
I’ll decide that for myself thank you very much.

Of course you will.
I wouldn't expect someone like you to take advice from anyone else.
2021-6-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-24 15:33
Not sure what is up with DJI's software development team.  SDK fix shouldn't be that hard to do.

I know,  right.  
2021-6-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules