Smart Controller / Remote Controller Monitor Hood
559 5 2021-6-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Frank Alonso
Second Officer
Flight distance : 785049 ft
United States

How good is the Smart Controller in the daylight?  I have a remote controller monitor hood and it helps, but in full daylight it is still very difficult to see may screen.  Sometimes it is impossible.  If I cannot find a shaded spot then I simply cannot fly.  This is particularly problematic at places like the beach or a harbor where there is just no cover.
I like the idea of not having to use my phone.  But if the Smart Controller also worked in daylight, well that would be a game changer for me.

2021-6-23
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

it depends on what you are looking to gain.  for the most part, the sc has excellent lighting and you will definitely see an improvement over a mobile phone or tablet.  most people can appreciate the brightness and the sc 1000mit screen helps in 90% of all cases.  but there are still a few situations in extreme direct sunlight where it's difficult to see.   unfortunately you will not be able to see the detail that is ideal such as people on the golf course while you fly at 300 feet for example.  you will still find once you get home and review the footage, you'll see things that you didn't see in the field.  however, you definitely will be able to get a better idea where your drone is flying, your surroundings, and you will be much more comfortable with gazing at the display rather than vlos.  that being said, i also have a 2000nit screen so i know how much better the sc could be and what is it lacking by comparison and therefore i know the sc is not quite there.  the next dji sc cannot be successful at less than 2000 nits.  if you are not use to mobile phones, you'll be fine with the current sc meaning you'll be pleased now that you can fly safely at the beach without a hood.  hope this helps.
2021-6-23
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just do not understand why the displays are not brighter. I am used to watching a 5" Nav/GPS display on my boat that is very easy to read in full daylight. It uses just 0.5 amps at 12vdc and costs less than $500. And that includes the depth transducer with graphing and maps galore. Now maybe the DJI remote would need 4 more cells to get that voltage at the same current, but that could be addressed with an optional battery pack weighing about 2 lbs.
Photo of the Nav unit in full direct sunlight:

Simrad GO5 screen in full sun.jpg
2021-6-23
Use props
akozc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2019951 ft
Macao

GaryDoug Posted at 6-23 12:59
I just do not understand why the displays are not brighter. I am used to watching a 5" Nav/GPS display on my boat that is very easy to read in full daylight. It uses just 0.5 amps at 12vdc and costs less than $500. And that includes the depth transducer with graphing and maps galore. Now maybe the DJI remote would need 4 more cells to get that voltage at the same current, but that could be addressed with an optional battery pack weighing about 2 lbs.
Photo of the Nav unit in full direct sunlight:

NAV panels screen resolution and refresh rate Hz are not same with SC ,or are they?
2021-6-23
Use props
Mr. Strat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4542854 ft
United States

I'm used to my Phantom 4 Pro Plus controller which is quite bright. In raw sunlight, I often use a hood which helps quite a bit.

Just got the Smart Controller but have used it with the Hoodman magnetic hood. It works fine, but the metal plate that it attaches to makes it hard to get to the 3-dot menu and other functions that are along the screen edges. Still looking around for a better hood. But in raw sunlight, the SC is equally as bright as the Phantom Plus controller.
2021-6-24
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The DJI Smart Controller has a built-in 5.5-inch 1080p screen, providing an ultra-bright display to keep your live feed easily viewable, even in direct sunlight. At 1000 cd/m2, the display is approximately twice as bright as conventional smart device screens. In addition. Hope that you could get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI pilots here that currently using the said unit. Thank you for your continued support!
2021-6-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules