View GPS Coords of Drone on Fly APP
18126 29 2021-6-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MrNomad
lvl.1
Flight distance : 79701 ft
United States

I have been trying to find the live GPS coordinates of my MINI 2 on the Fly APP.  I cannot seem to find them.  I work in the Search and Rescue field and when I am searching for someone or for a significant location to share with others it seems I cannot provide that information.  I have seen how you can take a picture and find the GPS coords of the photo but that is cumbersome and leaving the Fly APP to get the coords is not possible when dealing with those situations.  So does the Fly APP have the functionality of showing the exact GPS coordinates of the drone in the Fly APP?

I thought the GPS coords could easily be displayed on the bottom of the screen or just tap on the drone location and the GPS coords would be displayed.

Help
2021-6-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

So does the Fly APP have the functionality of showing the exact GPS coordinates of the drone in the Fly APP?
No

I thought the GPS coords could easily be displayed on the bottom of the screen or just tap on the drone location and the GPS coords would be displayed.
That's never been possible with DJI Fly or the more fully-featured DJI Go 4.
Litchi can show GPS co-ordinates in flight, but your Mini 2 isn't compatible with the Litchi app.

2021-6-24
Use props
MrNomad
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 6-24 16:38
So does the Fly APP have the functionality of showing the exact GPS coordinates of the drone in the Fly APP?
No

That’s too bad. Thank you for the info. Seems strange when the drone is connected to satellites it doesn’t have that functionality. Thanks for your time.
2021-6-24
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree, but I guess it would clutter the screen too much.
2021-6-24
Use props
Mavic2018
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1544065 ft
  • >>>
Australia

MrNomad Posted at 6-24 17:04
That’s too bad. Thank you for the info. Seems strange when the drone is connected to satellites it doesn’t have that functionality. Thanks for your time.

I sometimes fly the DJI Enterprise Dual and that does display live GPS long and lat during flight.
2021-6-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

As well as adding to screen clutter, having a bunch of numbers doesn't help much with navigation.
It's fine for reporting where the drone is, but very clumsy if you want to fly toward a specific location.
You would really need specific software with a dedicated waypoint find display to help find a specific location.
If you see this at the bottom of your screen, how do you know how near/far you are from your target site?
How do you know whether to go left/right or forward/back to get closer?
This is what Litchi shows when configured to display Lat/Long data.

L L.jpg
2021-6-24
Use props
MrNomad
lvl.1
United States

If you had a GOTO/ Waypoint function where you could enter coordinates into the Fly APP to where you want the drone to go and press GO the drone could just goto that location without the operator having to do anything. The exact coords for the drone could then be displayed at the bottom. While the drone is moving to the waypoint the app displays the remaining distance from the drone to the waypoint.  I should be a developer. TAK APPS do all these functions.
2021-6-24
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Currently, this option is not yet supported by the DJI Fly app and there's no confirmation yet about the addition of this function in future updates but we'll forward this feedback to our developers. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your understanding and support!
2021-6-25
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 6-24 19:15
As well as adding to screen clutter, having a bunch of numbers doesn't help much with navigation.
It's fine for reporting where the drone is, but very clumsy if you want to fly toward a specific location.
You would really need specific software with a dedicated waypoint find display to help find a specific location.

I think it would be a trail-and-error approach to navigate to the target location. You would look at the displayed coordinates and the desired coordinates and judge whether the numbers were getting closer with each maneuver. Very rough for sure but far better than nothing. Some of my shipmates in the US Coast Guard used that approach when on an SAR mission many years ago using LORAN-based coordinates. I never had to deal with that very difficult problem.
2021-6-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

That would be much too inefficient.
Out there your target will rarely be dead east or north of your position, so you need to be watching lat and long together.
But you still wouldn't know if you were on course or not.
  If you want to find the target rather than circumnavigate it, you need  something like the Go To display that's on most GPS receivers.
cc.jpg
2021-6-26
Use props
AllDroneService
lvl.2
Flight distance : 138629 ft
United Kingdom

maybe you could add a small GPS tracker device to the aircraft yourself ...one that sends its location information back to your mobile device or something ?
2022-6-3
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

AllDroneService Posted at 6-3 13:03
maybe you could add a small GPS tracker device to the aircraft yourself ...one that sends its location information back to your mobile device or something ?

Cool idea, but no need now that Litchi does indeed support the Mini2 now.  So if the original poster feels strongly still about having this data, it is available.  (At the cost of Litchi app)
2022-6-3
Use props
djiuser_Wf2yLiTL10qv
lvl.1

North Macedonia

Labroides Posted at 2021-6-24 16:38
No

You can see the coordinates on the display during your flight ...Please install litchi app and don.t worry..I use litchi and it.s ok. Regards.
2023-2-12
Use props
PPFD56Drone
New

United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2021-6-25 21:19
Hi there. Currently, this option is not yet supported by the DJI Fly app and there's no confirmation yet about the addition of this function in future updates but we'll forward this feedback to our developers. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your understanding and support!

Having GPS coords would be beneficial for directing others to a target ...  even if you had to turn on/off the display in some manner
Thanks
2023-5-23
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

PPFD56Drone Posted at 5-23 09:59
Having GPS coords would be beneficial for directing others to a target ...  even if you had to turn on/off the display in some manner
Thanks

Hi there. We appreciate your feedback. We will forward this to our designated team for attention. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-5-25
Use props
davmedic
New

Canada

Go to the Find My Drone page in the DJI Fly App.  The current coordinates of the drone are there.
2023-6-3
Use props
TenaciousM
lvl.2

United States

We need this to show on the main screen while flying so we can hover our drone over a pre-determined set of coordinates.  Can this be added DJI????
2023-7-10
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

TenaciousM Posted at 7-10 10:56
We need this to show on the main screen while flying so we can hover our drone over a pre-determined set of coordinates.  Can this be added DJI????

Thank you for your input. We appreciate the time and effort providing this suggestion to us. We will continue to let such feedback reach the designated team for consideration. Your patience is much appreciated.
2023-7-23
Use props
peteredoc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 204140 ft
Canada

Eagle Eyes Pilot - https://www.eagleeyessearch.com/#pilot lets you see GPS while flying the drone either as (Lat, Long) or UTM coordinates, and will work for Mini2.   Below picture shows with UTM.  You can reach out on the website to try it free.  Disclaimer - am author.

2023-8-8
Use props
RebelTrail
New

United States

Howdy. DJI....ARE YOU READING THIS? Dont know if anyone is still following this, but...several of the replies obviously did NOT understand the OP. He asked about seeing his current position, and sharing that with other people...NOT navigating to an unknown location. However...if those people DID have a drone also...they could indeed fly to that point. But sadly...DJI has been pathetically weak in displaying the current GPS location...including waayyy back when they had the NAZA and Wookong FCs...the information is OBVIOUSLY in the data stream...how else would the drone know where it is, and WAS and know how to RTH...right? But it was only due to several outside companies...including Team Black Sheep with their "Black Box"...(and their own proprietary OSD built into the Discovery drones) who designed a plug-in module to divert the data into their module and then include it in the screen view...and NO...a small line of numbers does NOT "clutter up the screen"...
2023-11-16
Use props
RebelTrail
New

United States

Incidentally....a HUGE word of caution...Using Litchi or any other 3rd party app to operate and fly your DJI product will NOT allow the Go4 app to capture the flight data. What does that mean? Simply that DJI will not warranty a fly-away because you dont have that info to send them...
2023-11-16
Use props
Mamalemond
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1646240 ft
United States

I had the same happen to me.  We were on a Search and Rescue and I could not share what my drone GPS coordinates were.  I have looked after the fact at pictures.
How is it that we cannot tell where our drone is - but with Remote ID anyone can tell where we pilots are?!

DJI - please add a feature to show where the drone is!!!  GPS coordinates that is.
2023-12-3
Use props
djiuser_SZr2uHND9raZ
New

New Zealand

I totally agree that would be useful to have the option to see the real time coordinates. It would also be benefitial to see the exact compass angle.
1-1 23:17
Use props
djiuser_lbOFhhyOx2RX
New

United States

Has this been considered? Seems to me it would be a no-brainer for those who want to use their drone for search and rescue or reporting an emergency event location. Otherwise how do you describe where you saw the emergency event location? "I saw it near a pine tree of medium size, with a half broken off limb, with a woodpecker with one leg sitting on it,... the tree had some moss on it... oh, and i think the woodpecker was missing an eye"... please add gps coordinates+heading onscreen as an option in settings...
3-16 22:33
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

djiuser_lbOFhhyOx2RX Posted at 3-16 22:33
Has this been considered? Seems to me it would be a no-brainer for those who want to use their drone for search and rescue or reporting an emergency event location. Otherwise how do you describe where you saw the emergency event location? "I saw it near a pine tree of medium size, with a half broken off limb, with a woodpecker with one leg sitting on it,... the tree had some moss on it... oh, and i think the woodpecker was missing an eye"... please add gps coordinates+heading onscreen as an option in settings...

Hi there. We acknowledge that we have received the same concerns and suggestions from other DJI Pilots before. What we will do is continue to record such feedback and ensure that it reaches our related team. We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you. We hope this will be considered soon.

If you want to view GPS information and camera parameters information when recording video, please enable the subtitle option in the app. Then, the video will automatically store the subtitle file and load the subtitle information when playing the video. The video file can be opened and viewed using a text document. Through video subtitles, you can also check the parameter values you set. The subtitle information includes the following information:

1) Home: Home point GPS coordinates
2) Time information:
(1) GPS: Current GPS coordinates and number of GPS satellites
(2) Barometer: Altitude value measured by the barometer
(3) ISO: Camera ISO value
(4) Shutter: Set shutter speed
(5) EV: Exposure compensation value
(6) Fnum: Aperture value:

Your understanding is greatly appreciated.
3-18 01:26
Use props
Sidewind
New

Sweden

djiuser_SZr2uHND9raZ Posted at 1-1 23:17
I totally agree that would be useful to have the option to see the real time coordinates. It would also be benefitial to see the exact compass angle.

Me too; I totally agree that would be useful to have the option to see the real time coordinates. It would also be benefitial to see the exact compass angle. Actually, to me it's necessary in fact a dealbreaker. If I can't see the coordinates and the exact compass direction on the controller the Mini Mavic 4 Pro is not of any use to me. I simply can't understand why it's not already there? If it's not in a future upgrade in the nearest month or so, could you please point me in the direction of another manufacturer that is capable of doing this?
3-19 06:30
Use props
djiuser_6ZXhhGW8b2Bv
New

United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2021-6-25 21:19
Hi there. Currently, this option is not yet supported by the DJI Fly app and there's no confirmation yet about the addition of this function in future updates but we'll forward this feedback to our developers. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your understanding and support!

I am trying to take a weekly progress photo of a site from the same coordinates for the next year or two, and having the ability to see the drones GPS position would be very helpful, and perhaps save me time in post production. I would like to affirm my support some basic coordinate display function that can be turned on and off, or alternated with the map thumbnail in the display of the DJI Fly app.
3-24 11:51
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

djiuser_6ZXhhGW8b2Bv Posted at 3-24 11:51
I am trying to take a weekly progress photo of a site from the same coordinates for the next year or two, and having the ability to see the drones GPS position would be very helpful, and perhaps save me time in post production. I would like to affirm my support some basic coordinate display function that can be turned on and off, or alternated with the map thumbnail in the display of the DJI Fly app.

Hi there. We appreciate your valuable feedback. Rest assured that we will record this suggestion and make sure to reach out to our relevant team for future consideration. Should you have other inquiries, feel free to contact us. Thank you for your understanding and support.
3-24 19:42
Use props
Robert Inouye
New

United States

I too would like easier faster access to gps coordinates, for Search Rescue and other uses.
For now, I am only aware of two slower methods.
First: take a photo, download it to your iPhone, open the photo, bring up the information panel, scroll down to touch on the location name, that brings up gps data.  Way too slow for real time use.
Second: while flying, hit the back arrow (<) at top left, then Ptogile, then Find my Drone, that shows coordinates.

My wish list: option to show that on main flying screen.
Also: option to input coordinates as a point, then fly to that point.
Also: option to retrieve gps coordinates not for drone, but for object in center of view (your lost subject): that requires some trig to calculate location and elevation.

Maybe put all this in an easy to access “I” button on the main screen:  thus no clutter but quick access when needed.

3-31 07:07
Use props
Dogpilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1829121 ft
United States

This article explains how to use the pinpoint function on the Enterprise models. It will do the offset calculations for you. It then allows you to share the pinpoint via a QR code, which your team can scan with their phone. While not perfect, there is a bit of error transcribing Lat Lon from the screen, due to a whole lot of numbers to verbally pass. Kind of why we always repeat stuff on the radio. Then there is three popular methods of representing Lat Lon D M S,  D.M, D M.S. may hand held devices are limited in how they input Lat Lon. I have to carry a converter app due to how the NGS benchmarks are noted in Lat Lon and how the RTK units take in positions.

How to use Pinpoint
3-31 07:23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules