843 15 2021-6-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Low mist again out at Derwent Dam this morning. Bit of moisture on the lens but a good spot before the drone police turn up as it's a very popular location. Not ideal conditions but she handled it well. Dambusters and a bit of history -  During the Second World War, the reservoir was used by pilots of the 617 Squadron for practising the low-level flights needed for Operation Chastise (commonly known as the "Dam Busters" raids), due to its similarity to the German dams. Today there is a commemorative plaque to 617 Squadron on the dam, and one of the towers on the dam houses the Derwent Valley Museum. The exhibition, which was owned and run by the late Vic Hallam, tells the tale of Squadron 617 and its training for Operation Chastise and also has a display on the history of the Derwent valley and the lost villages of Derwent and Ashopton. Occasional flypasts of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight at the reservoir are also staged to commemorate the events during the war. In September 2014, a unique flypast took place with the two remaining airworthy Lancasters, one from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, and one from Canada, flying three passes in formation.

2021-6-27
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Amazing footage CoreyB.    Great history behind that location.  Definitely a great place to fly.
2021-6-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there CoreyB10. Good day and thank you for sharing this cool video you have filmed. Great work and keep flying. .
2021-6-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thats crazy cool,   love the dives down the dam.
2021-6-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice location!
Too bad the lens had some drops on it
2021-6-28
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 6-27 23:34
Thats crazy cool,   love the dives down the dam.

When the water level gets too high, it cascades down the wall. Looks full on brilliant when that happens.
2021-6-28
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 6-28 05:26
Nice location!
Too bad the lens had some drops on it

Yeah, the mist was flyable but only just. Drone came down dry and just affected the lens. Another bucket list spot ticked off.
2021-6-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

CoreyB10 Posted at 6-28 22:09
Yeah, the mist was flyable but only just. Drone came down dry and just affected the lens. Another bucket list spot ticked off.

I flew in thick mist once, because I was quite sure I would get an amazing shot once I got above it.
Turned out I was right.
And one other time I flew in mild mist, but I got drops all over the lens.
2021-6-28
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 6-28 22:22
I flew in thick mist once, because I was quite sure I would get an amazing shot once I got above it.
Turned out I was right.
And one other time I flew in mild mist, but I got drops all over the lens.

It's a lottery as to what mist it is - Dry or Wet. Sounds wrong as all mist is moisture. It just affects the lens on whatever you are flying differently. The reservoir where I got eaten had lower mist and didn't affect the lens at all.
2021-6-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

CoreyB10 Posted at 6-28 22:26
It's a lottery as to what mist it is - Dry or Wet. Sounds wrong as all mist is moisture. It just affects the lens on whatever you are flying differently. The reservoir where I got eaten had lower mist and didn't affect the lens at all.

Yeah it is very true. It sometimes gives a super nice result, so I will try when I get the chance.
2021-6-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CoreyB10 Posted at 6-28 22:06
When the water level gets too high, it cascades down the wall. Looks full on brilliant when that happens.

I bet that only happens when its raining so no chance to fly it at the same time.
2021-6-28
Use props
Shadetail
lvl.2
Flight distance : 785125 ft
Croatia

Exposure seems to be way too low, everything is so dark. Did you turn off auto exposure perhaps?
2021-6-29
Use props
djiuser_IjKebFRsAYYH
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1616693 ft
United States

Nice location, just needs the lumetri dialed in to make it interesting for non-droners
FYI: export your video as H264, CBR 100Mbps so when youtube processes your video, there's no blocking introduced.
2021-7-1
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Shadetail Posted at 6-29 06:19
Exposure seems to be way too low, everything is so dark. Did you turn off auto exposure perhaps?

Very early morning and very murky weather conditions. The mist was stopping the light. Originally made it lighter in the edit but reverted back to normal as it didn't look right. Locked the ISO at 100, so maybe should have used 200 instead.
2021-7-2
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 6-28 23:01
I bet that only happens when its raining so no chance to fly it at the same time.

It usually takes a few days for the levels to even out fter heavy rain, so if you are lucky, you can catch it. It's amazing when it is heavy rain and you are there, but boy do you get a good soaking.....and the noise is deafening.
2021-7-2
Use props
Shadetail
lvl.2
Flight distance : 785125 ft
Croatia

CoreyB10 Posted at 7-2 01:44
Very early morning and very murky weather conditions. The mist was stopping the light. Originally made it lighter in the edit but reverted back to normal as it didn't look right. Locked the ISO at 100, so maybe should have used 200 instead.

> Locked the ISO at 100, so maybe should have used 200 instead.
Oh that's definitely it! I was flying a bit after sunset one time and if I had ISO at 100 I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to fly safely at all. Here's that flight:

Near the end of flight is especially dark, that's with default camera settings which means unlocked ISO (or whatever is its default range), so that's the kind of noise you can expect. In my opinion it's a twofold benefit, one of flight safety of being able to navigate better, and other in that noisy footage is more pleasant to watch than undexposed footage, which is the whole point of having the ability to increase ISO. Exposure can't really be fixed in post past a certain level, and I'd recomend using locked ISO only in situations where you are doing a very short static shot where you can in advance decide the perfect camera settings for that shot and want consistent exposure. And that's only in situations where your goal is production of some profesional grade footage where end footage will be further processed and is the only thing that matters, and flight experience of pilot is to be disregarded. But in any case where flight experience and added safety matter, I'd personally leave my ISO unlocked, especially in any flight where scene itself changes (one moment sky is in the scene, next it is not).

2021-7-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules