USA New recreational drone rules (TRUST) The Recreational UAS Saf...
2015 13 2021-6-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

The FAA has implemented a new rule for recreational fliers in the USA.  The Recreational UAS Safety Test (TRUST)FAA rules

In June 2021, the FAA announced the following entities as FAA Approved Test Administrators of TRUST (FAA approved TRUST TA):

2021-6-27
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That was super easy, if you fly a drone in the US no problem completing the test. I think it was easier than the UK test by the CAA..

The "Chippewa Valley Technical College" test site did not ask for email, or any personal details to take the test. Many of the other sites wanted you to register on their site before you got to the test.
20210627_180526.png
2021-6-27
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
United States

Mavic57pro2 Posted at 6-27 09:02
That was super easy, if you fly a drone in the US no problem completing the test. I think it was easier than the UK test by the CAA..

The "Chippewa Valley Technical College" test site did not ask for email, or any personal details to take the test. Many of the other sites wanted you to register on their site before you got to the test.

Yes the test is easy, I think they just want people to be aware there are rules to follow even if you are just having fun.
2021-6-27
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

videoeditman Posted at 6-27 10:58
Yes the test is easy, I think they just want people to be aware there are rules to follow even if you are just having fun.

I agree with you.
2021-6-27
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Let's hope some of our new fliers pay attention to the contents of TRUST.  Otherwise, we could see new, much more stringent rules to come out.
2021-6-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there videoeditman. Good day and thank you for sharing these information with us here at DJI Forum. Again, thank you for your support and have a nice day.
2021-6-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for the links,   seems Chippewa Valley Technical College is the way to go for people travelling to the USA.   
2021-6-27
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

how does that even make any sense?  if you get 100% and you got all the questions right the very first time, that means you already knew all the rules last week before you took the test.  taking the test changes nothing for you (i.e. you don't learn about any new rules) and therefore your flight behaviour changes not at all.  next week, you keep flying the same way you've always flown except you now have a piece of paper with a token on it.

the only people who know about the test are the people who already know the rules.  the reason why you have a small amount of bad drone flying is because people don't know about the rules (and won't know about the test either).  if you break the drone rules and you fly illegally, one of the rules you'll break is "taking the test."  watch yt.  everybody who flies a drone on yt will take the test.  let's see if anything changes.  let's see if all those bvlos flight go away.

i absolutely don't see how completing this test will make a dent in the "illegal" flights which i guess we are talking about flying higher than 400 feet and flying in controlled airspace without authorization.  if those problems decreased by more than 10% now that we have a test, i would be shocked.

in reality, the test is one step closer to universal drone registration and ultimately confiscation.  just another piece of paper which will be used mostly against kids to harass annoying fpv flyers by cops.  the cert can't be validated, it proves nothing, it doesn't take the place of registration, and it will not decrease the number of accidents (which currently sits at zero fatalities).  it gives a reason for law enforcement to make contact with you.

how does it make any sense whatsoever that you can skip going to the faa website and registering your drone (because it is under 250g) to get an faa registration number....an exercise that takes 5 minutes and $5 BUT instead you MUST go online and take a free test that takes 15-30 minutes and get a token number.  if you refuse to do the former, you''ll refuse to do the latter.  there are still a million flyers who do not know anything about neither registration nor a test.  and the test (ordered by congress) still has no legal legs (i.e. you won't be able to prove a person is aware of the laws).  it is just a feel good piece of paper for recreational flyers who didn't have a "drone license."  i mean, look how many people are elated to take the test and our proud that they have a piece of paper that proves they know the laws and they passed the test (which you can't even fail).

just like driving a car, what you learned during driving school on day one is a cliche and mostly irrelevant to how you drive daily, whether you speed or stop at signs/lights, how you handle your vehicle equipment, and what happens during a violation (i.e. your awareness of the law).

i took the test and i will comply with the law but this is only the beginning....of the end.
2021-6-28
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
United States

The Saint, I agree with you on most points but thought I would post this here as if even a few more people know that we can't just fly where and when we want to it could help somewhat. I think there should be something like a mini Part 107 test for recreational fliers. I also took the test, but already have my part 107 so didn't need to take this test for anything, more curiosity of what it included.
2021-6-28
Use props
Asyd_Rayn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2766 ft
United States

All done and easy peasie! Now off to find the 107 info and study/test. The Chippewa Valley site required no login or registration.
2021-6-29
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

videoeditman Posted at 6-28 05:04
The Saint, I agree with you on most points but thought I would post this here as if even a few more people know that we can't just fly where and when we want to it could help somewhat. I think there should be something like a mini Part 107 test for recreational fliers. I also took the test, but already have my part 107 so didn't need to take this test for anything, more curiosity of what it included.

always good to have more training and more knowledge; i'm all for that.....as long as it isn't a government mandated requirement.  why can't we have drone schools and drone courses and spread the word thru manufacturers and dealers and professional organizations, etc?  why do we have to get law enforcement and sanctions involved at the licensing and registration level?
2021-6-29
Use props
NightThunder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106020 ft
United States

I have a friend how just got a new Air 2S. I asked where he is flying from as we both live in class D airspace. He knows nothing about drone rules in the US and does not even care to know. He is flying in Class D airspace and does not even know it. When I last saw him Trust was not available. Next time I see him I'm going to at least suggest that he take the test.

BTW: Test is kinda a strong term for what Trust is. You can't fail and you will get 100%. It is really for educational purposes and if you carry the documentation that you took the test you at least have a rudimentary knowledge of drone rules which is a good thing.
2021-6-30
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

NightThunder Posted at 6-30 16:13
I have a friend how just got a new Air 2S. I asked where he is flying from as we both live in class D airspace. He knows nothing about drone rules in the US and does not even care to know. He is flying in Class D airspace and does not even know it. When I last saw him Trust was not available. Next time I see him I'm going to at least suggest that he take the test.

BTW: Test is kinda a strong term for what Trust is. You can't fail and you will get 100%. It is really for educational purposes and if you carry the documentation that you took the test you at least have a rudimentary knowledge of drone rules which is a good thing.

not trying to be smart alec but if carrying around that piece of paper makes you smarter about the drone rules, why not put your certificate in your friend's pocket?  then he will magically know the rules, right?

look, taking the "test" doesn't mean you abide by the rules.  just like taking a driving test doesn't mean you drive the speed limit or stop at red lights.  honestly, the best thing for your friend is for you to take his phone and download loft and show him how to use it in 5 minutes to get laanc.  if he refuses, no "trust" is going to convince him to do it.

my guess a million drone pilots will do whatever they do.  the test is just another "hurdle" for the law-abiding drone pilots who love to show they can follow the rules exactly and are happy to demonstrate it to whomever will listen.  if for some reason your friend say "oh" and starts getting authorization to fly in controlled airspace, that's great (arguably there are better way to accomplish this) but what happens next week after he gets laanc and he's flying and he forgets his cert and he's stopped by a deputy who wants to see his "papers?"  your friend is doing the right thing but we all foolishly agreed to accept heavy fines, not for flying unsafe or not knowing the rules, but for not carrying the paperwork on your person which has a fake email address and a cryptic, hard to verify token and issued by dozens of vendors no law enforcement officer could possibly know about; imagine if your cert said "starfleet drone patrol."  sad because that's not the way to run a professional organization but yes, that's the way recreational pilots are treated...expect more of the same down the road.
2021-6-30
Use props
NightThunder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106020 ft
United States

The Saint Posted at 6-30 17:19
not trying to be smart alec but if carrying around that piece of paper makes you smarter about the drone rules, why not put your certificate in your friend's pocket?  then he will magically know the rules, right?

look, taking the "test" doesn't mean you abide by the rules.  just like taking a driving test doesn't mean you drive the speed limit or stop at red lights.  honestly, the best thing for your friend is for you to take his phone and download loft and show him how to use it in 5 minutes to get laanc.  if he refuses, no "trust" is going to convince him to do it.

Just be glad that the FAA in IMO is for the most part working with us pilots. The Trust test is super simple, free, and you cannot fail unless you are a complete moron.  

I saved the certificate as a PDF and saved a copy of it on my phone. That way I can pull that information at will.

Once you complete the test, all information about is deleted. Again, IMO Trust is a way for the FAA to disseminate drone knowledge in a relatively painless way. This could have been much worse.

2021-7-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules