lock gimbal still not available but...
6870 12 2021-7-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GRandyB
lvl.3
United States

So I know DJI can make a function where the gimbal can be locked and stay locked without holding a button but they choose to ignore the request and put it in an update.I for one find it very frustrating when I see they had more important things like making P2 in white!
Please give us the option of locking the gimbal without having to hold a button, just make it on/off instead!

2021-7-7
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Do you mean the function where the gimbal doesn't move at all (the direction changes immediately according to the direction the Pocket 2 is pointed at) or the one where the camera stays pointed to one and same direction no matter how you turn the Pocket 2's body?

If you mean the latter one, then it IS possible to use the lock so that you don't have to hold the button. When you have the mini joystick attached, press and hold the button next to the joystick until a lock symbol appears on the display. After that, you can let go of the button, and the camera keeps pointing to the same direction, no matter how you turn the unit, until you press the same button again.

Hope this helps.
2021-7-8
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

You just beat me to it...  I'm sure we have been through this several times before.
2021-7-8
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

2021-7-8
Use props
GRandyB
lvl.3
United States

That's good news, I haven't been to this site for some time and didn't realize there is an update available,..I brought it up long ago here but there was no mention of DJI considering enabling it...thanks everyone!
2021-7-8
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. On the latest firmware of the DJI Pocket 2, they added the ability to lock the gimbal when using the Mini Control Stick. Press and hold the right button of the Mini Control Stick to lock the gimbal and press again to unlock. Hope this helps. Thank you for your support!
2021-7-8
Use props
GRandyB
lvl.3
United States

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong plz?
I have tried to update 3 different times.
1st I connect P2 to phone, it opened Mimo as expected and told me there was an update (as expected).
I clicked update and it immediately opened the app which I found strange...I didn't get any prompts to install or anything so I uninstalled/reinstalled (WITHOUT p2 connected) and it prompted me to update an it went to app showing the tips...I scrolled thru all of those and connected to P2 but lock button didn't work so I closed app, powered off P2 and rebooted it but it just opens Mimo and apparently it didn't update because the lock still doesn't work.'
I've tried the above 3 times with same results, what the heack am I doing wrong?
Thanks,
Randy
2021-7-9
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

GRandyB Posted at 7-9 13:49
Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong plz?
I have tried to update 3 different times.
1st I connect P2 to phone, it opened Mimo as expected and told me there was an update (as expected).

Are you sure your Mimo is of the latest version? It might be required to ensure it downloads the latest firmware on Pocket 2.

I remember hearing from Aavalaakso that DJI updated Mimo recently on their website. I first tried to update it through Mimo app using the version checking option, but it claimed it was up to date (which proved to be false). I then downloaded the new version directly from their website and installed it. After that, the app updated successfully to the latest version.

Also, have you installed the app directly from DJI's site or the phone's own app store? On Apple this doesn't matter, but if you're on Android then do know that the Google Play Store version is outdated and DJI doesn't update it there anymore. If you got it there, uninstall it from the phone then download it from Mimo's own website.

Hope this helps to solve the issue.
2021-7-9
Use props
GRandyB
lvl.3
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 7-9 14:08
Are you sure your Mimo is of the latest version? It might be required to ensure it downloads the latest firmware on Pocket 2.

I remember hearing from Aavalaakso that DJI updated Mimo recently on their website. I first tried to update it through Mimo app using the version checking option, but it claimed it was up to date (which proved to be false). I then downloaded the new version directly from their website and installed it. After that, the app updated successfully to the latest version.

Good to know, I was downloading from Play store.
I uninstalled and went to DJI and downloaded from there with high hopes.
I have since opened P2 long pushed the function button on the control stick and it still doesn't lock...I see an icon come on but the behavior seems to be the same.
After seeing the video above maybe I'm misunderstanding what DJI calls "lock".
Do they mean lock on a subject matter (track) or lock the gimbal down where it doesn't move whatsoever and acts like any normal camera?
2021-7-9
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

"Lock" means that the gimbal head is locked to a certain direction, regardless of the movement of the handle.  That is different from tracking, where the gimbal head is locked to a subject, which might move, not locked to a direction.  To make the camera behave like a normal non-gimbal camera, so that the gimbal head is locked to the direction in which the handle moves in all axes, use FPV gimbal mode, although there is still some movement damping in this mode.  I'll post a link to my video which explains the concept of locking.
2021-7-9
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

2021-7-9
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

(Note that the video relates to the original Pocket, so it doesn't mention full lock being available on the camera itself).
2021-7-9
Use props
GRandyB
lvl.3
United States

Thanks but I'm well aware of what pan, tilt, etc means (I was in video production for 20+ years) I was just wondering if DJI was using the term "locked" as they do with their Mavic Air 2 (ie to "lock" onto a target one is tracking).
Anyway it's good to learn by lock they do indeed mean locking the gimbal into a stationary position.
I'll try again this afternoon to get the update installed...if unsuccessful I suppose I should start a new/relevant thread.
Thanks everyone,
Randystart
2021-7-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules