Phantom 1 starts oscillating after 6 minutes of flight
3577 17 2014-11-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
j437a
lvl.1

United States

My Phantom starts oscillating after 6+ minutes of flight and I don't know what can be causing the problem. I have re-loaded the parameter of the NAZA lite, changed ESC's and motor's with the same result after a long flight time. Once it starts oscillating I would give it full throttle with no response then it would crash. Any help would be kindly appreciated.

R/
John
2014-11-26
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

Check battery voltage.
2014-11-26
Use props
j437a
lvl.1

United States

I have two 2200mah in parallel with battery mounts.
2014-11-26
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

j437a Posted at 2014-11-27 07:34
I have two 2200mah in parallel with battery mounts.

Any news on the problem?
2014-11-29
Use props
IflyinWY
lvl.1

United States

I would suggest installing prop guards until you remedy the problem.  Might save you a few bucks.

Are you flying where it gets very hot?  Are your vents plugged?  Is your neighbor shooting radio signals at it and laughing when it crashes?
2014-12-4
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

Any news on the problem?
Asked twice now.............
2014-12-5
Use props
george.latherow
lvl.1
Flight distance : 383970 ft
Spain

jamesnns@gmail. Posted at 2014-12-6 04:49
Any news on the problem?
Asked twice now.............

Hello

My Phantom FC40 started doing the same problem as stated above... After 6 mins of good flight, the  phantom hovered and would not respond to the controller. Then all of a sudden it started to oscillate and fell straight down and crashed. (oscillating all the way down)

I do think it has to do with Battery voltage/extra weight from gimbal. etc..

I am now playing with the "gain" controls to see if this fixes the problem.

It would be nice to get some help and suggestions on this topic.

Thanks
2014-12-13
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

That's strange behavior.
I've worked with heavy loads and low battery and on the P1 series this causes the quad to come down gracefully, not crash or oscillate. On the P2 series I have seen more of the "out of control" descents due to the low battery.

What is the signal light doing prior to and during this? Is it still all green?
2014-12-15
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

What are the battery and cell voltages AFTER it's back on the ground?  (I'm presuming you have a battery meter)
Are you leaving out some details? If you're using 2 batteries in parallel it kinda implies you've got more strapped on the Phantom that just the stock out-of-the-box configuration.  And if you've already replaced the motors and ESC's once it kinda implies this Phantom has a LOT of flights under the belt.

100_1372 LiPO Btry Checker.gif
2014-12-17
Use props
george.latherow
lvl.1
Spain

gil@wk.net Posted at 2014-12-18 09:35
What are the battery and cell voltages AFTER it's back on the ground?  (I'm presuming you have a bat ...

Hello All.

This is the reply from DJI about this problem...

"This error involves the compass. We would suggest to re-calibrate your compass in an area of low electrical interference; i.e. outside in a clear area away from buildings, power lines, etc.). If the compass has been magnetized, we would suggest taking a small magnet and orbiting it around the compass, which is the metal box on the leg of the Phantom. Once this has been done, please re-connect the Phantom to the Software Assistant and go to IMU Calibration section under “Tools.” You want to ensure that the Compass Mod Value settings are between 750-2250. If it is lower than 750, please perform a “Basic IMU Calibration,” and if it is higher, please perform an “Advanced IMU Calibration.”

I have not tried this out yet but will soon...  

It would be nice if somebody else could give input on this as well.I need to make some sense from this... why the Phantom can fly for 6+ mins, then fall, oscillating straight down and crash. ( my batt voltage was still about 11.4 volts when this happenned)

Thanks
2014-12-18
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

j437a and george.latherow -- I know your frustration.  Other people on the forum know your frustration.  Please understand we are limited in how helpful we can be by our own experience.  The closest similar experience I have had to this was caused by some defective props but it manifested itself almost immediately.  Since I personally have not had this exact problem and given the limited description you provided I, along with everybody else who is trying to help, have to ask questions to see if there is anything in our limited experience that could match your symptoms and provide a clue to it's resolution.  

Shifting gears for a moment, consider this an observation and not a judgement, ok?  You provided the reply from DJI but yet you admit you haven't tried their suggestion.  In the next paragraph you seem to characterize everybody else's input as less than intelligent.  It strikes me as counterproductive to insult the people who are trying to help you.  
2014-12-18
Use props
george.latherow
lvl.1
Spain

gil@wk.net Posted at 2014-12-19 03:05
j437a and george.latherow -- I know your frustration.  Other people on the forum know your frustrati ...

Hi Gil

Please accept my apology if I offended you or anybody else.. NOT my intention.  I just saw the suggestion above about the "prop guards" and really did not need that info.

I just got back from a trip and posted what DJI has said to help anybody else if needed.

I still have to try/check my compass/IMU and go for a flight.

My FC40 added outfit is:

1. IOSD mini
2. PMU
3. FPV TX
4. DYS 3D smart gimbal
5. DYS FPV camera
6. 2x 2700mah batteries
AND using the carbon fiber blades.

This strange thing happened 2 times now.
*** I am trying to understand the correlation to this problem and DJIs answer...

I would greatly appreciate any help
Thanks
George
********************* Update

Did the compass check and IMU calibration... flew the FC40 at very low level, with NO extra weight (bare bones) until low power auto land..

All went well...  I hope to try a Heavy take off and flight soon.

cheers
2014-12-18
Use props
george.latherow
lvl.1
Spain

george.latherow Posted at 2014-12-19 03:54
Hi Gil

Please accept my apology if I offended you or anybody else.. NOT my intention.  I just saw  ...

UPDATE:  trial flight.

FC40 full load as described above..

Starting voltage was 12.5 volts with dual batts.

A/C hovered for about 5 mins then would not maintain altitude with stick at center position.

Voltage check at this point was 11.8V..  LED was still blinking green.

A/C would still climb with added stick input, but would NOT hold altitude and would crash to the ground as soon as throttle stick was in center again.

Could this be i must adjust the "vertical gain" ????? Or other problems ????

Thanks
George
2014-12-20
Use props
george.latherow
lvl.1
Spain

george.latherow Posted at 2014-12-20 20:20
UPDATE:  trial flight.

FC40 full load as described above..

what happen?

No more ideas out there????

thanks
2014-12-30
Use props
jamaalperryman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 765354 ft
  • >>>
United States

george.latherow Posted at 2014-12-30 22:33
what happen?

No more ideas out there????

I think your fpv transmitter is a 5.8ghz and that messes with the whole rx system.
2014-12-30
Use props
joseffruchter.e
New

Israel

george.latherow Posted at 2014-12-19 02:34
Hello All.

This is the reply from DJI about this problem...

you have to check the "voltage program on the assist. software" there you can fix "extended flight time voltage settings"
2015-1-21
Use props
tucknrotor
lvl.1

United States

Battery low...next time that happens put it in atti mode and see if u can stop the spinning
2015-3-6
Use props
joe
lvl.3

United States

A couple of ideas - could be wrong since your issue is unusual.
1> what props are you using.  If 8 inch props it could be the copter is not having enough lift du tot he heavier weight. When it is not able to maintain height it may be showing attitude error indication.  The fact it happens after 6 minutes may indicate it is a issue that happens with the lowered battery voltage.  Lipos go form 12.5V fully charge pretty quickly down to 11.xx and continue to reduce during flight.

The P2 with a larger battery that is not as heavy as your 2 use 9 inch props by default which give greater weight carry capability and more weight per watt. I have had a similar thing happen when I put a 5000 battery on a quad I had with 8 inch props.  It became very sluggish and unresponsive after a few minutes and did a landing not due to the controller but due tot he fact the props/motors could no longer support the copter due to lowered voltage.  The battery still had plenty of juice but not enough voltage. A larger prop can help since it has higher efficiency and needs less RPM for the same thrust which means it need less voltage for the same thrust.

2. May a bad connection in you Y cable for the batteries.  Not as like but >>>>>
2015-3-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules